Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming Tax back when leaving the UK

Claiming Tax back when leaving the UK

Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:43 pm
Brisbane here we come!

myedsore will become famous soon enoughmyedsore will become famous soon enough
Default Claiming Tax back when leaving the UK

Ok does anyone know how much tax can be claimed back when leaving the UK if you are not going to be working the full year? Can it all be claimed back? Any help and info would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mark
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:46 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming Tax back when leaving the UK

Originally Posted by myedsore
Ok does anyone know how much tax can be claimed back when leaving the UK if you are not going to be working the full year? Can it all be claimed back? Any help and info would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mark
I am leaving in a couple of weeks so i would also like an answer - anyone...?
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:55 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
I am leaving in a couple of weeks so i would also like an answer - anyone...?
Hi Guys,
I was also wondering the same thing... I believe if you go into the Inland Revenue website it gives you the info you need.. there is a form thats needs to be filled out and returned.

But with all the immigration stuff I must admit I haven't read up on it completely...just no time.

Anyone that has just submitted their Tax Returns or knows how to go about it... and roughly how much you get back please, please shed some light.

Kind Regards x
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by myedsore
Cheers
Mark
Here's the website:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/MoneyTaxAnd...234&chk=tfBi9M
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:17 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
Thank you so much for a quick reply...
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

There are a few companies that deal with tax advice for UK and Oz, I know Collett & Co do it and they can help with tax returns in Oz, tax file numbers and all sorts. If you do a search on google you will find them. Alan Collett often replies to posts on here. You could email him and see what he would charge for some advice, he sounds very knowledgable and is always helpful.

Good luck
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

MummyKarin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link and info, I have to claim mine back as well, it is not a lot of money but better than nothing, I guess..
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To claim it back you need a form P85 from the Tax Office website. You won't get it all back, but you should get a fair amount - I went in October and got about half of what I'd paid. You can claim it as soon as you have your P45.

Hi once you have completed the P85 it only takes acouple of weeks. We went in November and I got back £700.00 and my Wife got about £625.00.

They will pay it direct into a bank account for you or send a cheque..

John

P.S
It didn't stop them sending me a demand for £12500.00 2 months later though
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:30 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jond
Hi once you have completed the P85 it only takes acouple of weeks. We went in November and I got back £700.00 and my Wife got about £625.00.

They will pay it direct into a bank account for you or send a cheque..

John

P.S
It didn't stop them sending me a demand for £12500.00 2 months later though
Great link and info everyone, I was just going to go into town to get the forms but may as well print the p85 off now and wait until I get my p45 to fill it in. Pete.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:48 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Claiming Tax back when leaving the UK

Wwhether you get it all back or not depends on how much you have paid and the timing of when you stop earning.

Your tax free allowance is about £5000 and it's not pro-ratad so if you have paid less tax then this you will get it all back. For people paid averagely well that would mean stopping earning somewhere around May/June/July.

Buzzy

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 26th 2006 at 11:14 pm. Reason: edited to remove original quote - tax position has changed since I left, sorry to mislead
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:53 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Not very often I disagree with you Polly but whether you get it all back or not depends on how much you have paid and the timing of when you stop earning.

Your tax free allowance is about £5000 and it's not pro-ratad so if you have paid less tax then this you will get it all back. For people paid averagely well that would mean stopping earning somewhere around May/June/July.

Buzzy
Groovy - i am leaving July 9th
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Groovy - i am leaving July 9th
OK so here's the good news. For the first £7035 you earn gross from April 6th you will only be taxed £200. 1st £5035 is taxed at 0%, next £2000 is taxed at 10%.

You will actually pay the tax, then have to claim it back, but this will be the net result.

This to my mind is an equation well worth considering when deciding when to leave the UK.

Buzzy
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:07 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

OK so here's the good news. For the first £7035 you earn gross from April 6th you will only be taxed £200. 1st £5035 is taxed at 0%, next £2000 is taxed at 10%.

You will actually pay the tax, then have to claim it back, but this will be the net result.

This to my mind is an equation well worth considering when deciding when to leave the UK.

Buzzy
So essentially you would get back £200 (assuming you've earnt exactly £7035 gross) by (in my case) July 9th?
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

So essentially you would get back £200 (assuming you've earnt exactly £7035 gross) by (in my case) July 9th?
Wrong!

You would get back all the tax you had paid, except £200!!!!

Look at your payslips, see how much tax you pay vs your gross salary. You'll get almost all of it back!

So in my case it would be a few grand as I'm a 40% taxpayer.

Wargod, PM me your gross income and amount you were taxed from your last payslip if you feel comfortable doing that and I'll work out how big a payout you'll get.

Buzzy
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:42 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Wrong!

You would get back all the tax you had paid, except £200!!!!

Look at your payslips, see how much tax you pay vs your gross salary. You'll get almost all of it back!

So in my case it would be a few grand as I'm a 40% taxpayer.

Buzzy
Kin' ell - i dont have any slips with me, but that is well good news, i too am a 40%er (just) and that is well tasty !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.