Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming one return flight to UK off tax for 457?

Claiming one return flight to UK off tax for 457?

Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Claiming one return flight to UK off tax for 457?

I heard a rumour you can write off the cost of one return flight home a year if you are a 457 visa holder against your tax. Has anyone actually done this?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:58 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Claiming one return flight to UK off tax for 457?

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I heard a rumour you can write off the cost of one return flight home a year if you are a 457 visa holder against your tax. Has anyone actually done this?
I doubt it very much, although I could be wrong, as I don't really know.

However, my doubt is based on the requirement for a 457 visa holders travel to be paid by the employer.
Your employer is responsible for ensuring that the cost of return travel to your home country for you (and accompanying family member/s) is met.
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/faq-subclass-457.htm
I can't imagine they would bypass that AND allow tax relief. I am sure that some people have paid their own fares though.

Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

James_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I am on a 457 and benefiting from the 'living away from home' allowance, my employer has told me I am entitled to gain tax relief on 50% of the cost of 1 return flight home per tax year for me and my wife.

Worth checking out.

J
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
I've been waiting fo you to come along... is it claimable then ?

Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've been waiting fo you to come along... is it claimable then ?
Busy time of year ....

It's not claimable in the way jimbo_d and James_SC think! They can't book flights to the UK - and then include the cost as "travel" on their tax return. That's not possible.

But when the employer sets up the LAFHA before the employee starts, they could theoretically and if the circumstances are right include "a reasonable amount" for a flight back home once a year. You know that LAFHA has set rates for food. But for accommodation and other things, it needs to be a "reasonable" amount - and this is of course open to interpretation. In the case of a married person, who comes to Oz, but leaves their spouse and kids behind, it could be argued that it is "reasonable" they fly home once a year - and hence "a reasonable amount" to cover the flight cost could be included in the LAFHA.

In reality, few employers are likely to do that though. With LAFHA, if the ATO investigate someone and decide certain amounts included in the LAFHA were "not reasonable", the employer has to then pay Fringe Benefit Tax. In other words, the risk is entirely on the employer! Therefore, employers tend to stick to food and rent for inclusion in the LAFHA as there is very little risk that the ATO would argue against them.

Last edited by ozhappy981; Jul 9th 2009 at 2:09 am.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Busy time of year ....

It's not claimable in the way jimbo_d and James_SC think! They can't book flights to the UK - and then include the cost as "travel" on their tax return. That's not possible.

But when the employer sets up the LAFHA before the employee starts, they could theoretically and if the circumstances are right include "a reasonable amount" for a flight back home once a year. You know that LAFHA has set rates for food. But for accommodation and other things, it needs to be a "reasonable" amount - and this is of course open to interpretation. In the case of a married person, who comes to Oz, but leaves their spouse and kids behind, it could be argued that it is "reasonable" they fly home once a year - and hence "a reasonable amount" to cover the flight cost could be included in the LAFHA.

In reality, few employers are likely to do that though. With LAFHA, if the ATO investigate someone and decide certain amounts included in the LAFHA were "not reasonable", the employer has to then pay Fringe Benefit Tax. In other words, the risk is entirely on the employer! Therefore, employers tend to stick to food and rent for inclusion in the LAFHA as there is very little risk that the ATO would argue against them.
That makes sense