Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming the dole in Australia

Claiming the dole in Australia

Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Claiming the dole in Australia

Been to sign on the dole this morning, felt pretty worthless when i came out to be honest. I really don't want to be signing on the dole at my time of life. I should have a steady job now, own little office etc. But NO, i find myself redundant AGAIN, for the fifth job in a row i have been made redundant. First time in Oz though, seems its not that much different to England workwise. Well for my trade anyway.

I took a bank statement as they requested but they told me to provide another two months worth before they could pay me anything. So they want 3 months banks statements.
Without anyone giving an opinion, just facts please, does anyone know why they need these?
Is there a certain figure that if i'm over i won't get any help. Basically, if you've already worked for your money and you have some, you ain't getting any of ours?

Just wondered,

Jazzys ( feeling fairly pissed off today, sorry )
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Claiming the dole in Australia

I think they ask to see your bank account to make sure you really need immediate help. My frends husband was made redudant and even after the redudency package ended they had to wait until they were basically running out of money before Centrelink would help them out.

In other words I believe they expect you to use some of your savings first (if you have any) before they'll help out. In some ways that makes sense because if you happen to have 100k just sitting in your bank account then you don't really need any help at that point. I'm not really sure if or what the cut-offs would be though.

Hopefully someone will come along to give more info. Sorry to hear about your troubles though, hopefully something will come along soon.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:45 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jazzys
Been to sign on the dole this morning, felt pretty worthless when i came out to be honest. I really don't want to be signing on the dole at my time of life. I should have a steady job now, own little office etc. But NO, i find myself redundant AGAIN, for the fifth job in a row i have been made redundant. First time in Oz though, seems its not that much different to England workwise. Well for my trade anyway.

I took a bank statement as they requested but they told me to provide another two months worth before they could pay me anything. So they want 3 months banks statements.
Without anyone giving an opinion, just facts please, does anyone know why they need these?
Is there a certain figure that if i'm over i won't get any help. Basically, if you've already worked for your money and you have some, you ain't getting any of ours?

Just wondered,

Jazzys ( feeling fairly pissed off today, sorry )
I believe that they want you to spend your money until they give you ours. I think that is how it works ... someone else will have to confirm.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:48 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Claiming the dole in Australia

I had to do the same thing. Fortunately it was a simple matter to visit my local branch and print off a bunch of statements from their self-service counter.

comet is right; they want to see evidence of genuine financial hardship. I declared $2,000 of savings in addition to the contents of my everyday account, but they didn't hold it aganist me. I assume they took one look at my mortgage payments and realised that $2,000 doesn't go far when you're paying out $1,000 a month!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:49 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe they also have data matching with banks ... so don't lie to them.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:58 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that Jazzy,good luck mate
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:59 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I do wonder what would happen if someone had very little in their bank account but was able to redraw a lot from their mortgage. Would they be expected to pull some out of their mortgage to finance themselves up to a point?

I only ask because in theory you could put a bunch of your savings into your mortgage, although if they require 3 months of bank statements I assume they would see that transaction.

Alternatively someone might always choose to pay over and above every month for their mortgage and keep very little in their savings account, knowing that they can always get it from the mortgage if needed. In this case I wonder if they could claim right away since they've got very little in savings and haven't noticeably tried to tuck money away.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
Damn, there goes another theory.

Only joking

Jazzys
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:26 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, there goes another theory.

Only joking

Jazzys
Jazzys, if you have insurance for your flights back to the UK, is there anyway you can cancel your flights and get your money back so at least you would have something to tide you over?

I dont know if insurance just covers illness or not
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, have you been here 2 years already Jazzys? That's a raw deal you have had there. Good luck with finding something to tide you over.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:21 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I am led to beleive that if you have a balance of $5000 or more in yr bank account you will get diddlie squat till it runs out - also if your OH earns 50K or more per year they are expected to support you and you get nowt too, thats what it wa for me when I went in to see about Aus study
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys, PP there's no way on gods earth i could consider cancelling my flights. At the end of the day i ain't gunna get work before mid january now so it wouldn't matter that much whether i went away or not. The flights are paid for and the spending money was deposited into a UK bank weeks and weeks ago.

We are heading back for my daughters 18th birthday on xmas day, no amount of money or thoughts of impending hardship could persuade me to phone my daughter and tell her we aren't coming. somethings are just more important than money. I appreciate your efforts to find a solution but nope, it ain't happening.

Yep quoll, its actually 27 months now and its been a struggle at times. There has literally been blood, sweat and tears and i look like i'm almost back in exactly the same position as i was when i first came. NO JOB

Its a bummer but hey life goes on and the world will keep turning regardless of what predicament i find myself in.
I always say it all happens for a reason and i have not changed my mind, i just wish if god had me marked down for being rich he'd hurry up and get it sorted.

Jazzys
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

"i look like i'm almost back in exactly the same position as i was when i first came"

Some people struggle for single job, yet you've had five in two years. So statistically your highly likely to get another job within a short period of time. Lots of experience gained too
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:57 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by copa
And in a few months, the ATO too.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
"i look like i'm almost back in exactly the same position as i was when i first came"

Some people struggle for single job, yet you've had five in two years. So statistically your highly likely to get another job within a short period of time. Lots of experience gained too
Sorry if it came across that way, but i've only had two jobs in the two years i've been here. But my previous ones in england i was made redundant from too.

I'll get another, i know that, i just rather it didn't happen to be honest.

Jazzys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.