Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming child support

Claiming child support

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Claiming child support

Someone has told me you can still claim UK family allowance on migrating to Aus. Surely that's not correct, is it ?????

Last edited by elmtree; Sep 4th 2007 at 12:08 am. Reason: meant to say 'family allowance'
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:16 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Claiming child support

Originally Posted by elmtree
Someone has told me you can still claim UK family allowance on migrating to Aus. Surely that's not correct, is it ?????
no, it's for uk residents.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I'm fairly sure AU have their own CSA and they will claim for you!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:15 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound
I believe the OP was talking about family allowance and not child support from an ex partner. Even if that were the case I dont see how or why the Australian system could/would enforce a UK maintenance order.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Emmalouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, you cannot claim family allowance once you leave the UK permanently and you also cannot pursue claims for child maintenance through the CSA. If you take the kids out of the country they refuse to be involved any further.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
I believe the OP was talking about family allowance and not child support from an ex partner. Even if that were the case I dont see how or why the Australian system could/would enforce a UK maintenance order.
Originally Posted by Emmalouise
Hi, you cannot claim family allowance once you leave the UK permanently and you also cannot pursue claims for child maintenance through the CSA. If you take the kids out of the country they refuse to be involved any further.

If you don't receive your child maintenance you can ask the child support agency in australia for assistance. If your claiming family tax and don't receive any child maintenance from the other parent, you will need to contact them to prove that you did everything possible to get the maintenance payments, otherwise you will only receive the base rate of family tax which means you will go without rent assistance as well.

They have agreements with several countries that enable them to request assistance in collecting the maintenance payments. This is only in theory, fact is that the child support agency possibly wont be able to help you get the maintenance payments, but if they can't they'll be your proof that it can't be done.

Lavinia
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:37 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Originally Posted by Centurion
This is incorrect the Oz government DO claim through the UK system for absent fathers where there is one parent in Oz and the other in the UK (specifically the facts I have the father is in Scotland! surely England would be the same). But he pays maintenace to her through he benefits she claims in OZ. She has been here a few years now.

Axx
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

There are now more than 80 countries where CSA can make and accept a child support assessment if one of the parents is resident in a reciprocating country.

You can claim from AU, http://www.csa.gov.au/international/uk.aspx

Hope that helps
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acbh2
This is incorrect the Oz government DO claim through the UK system for absent fathers where there is one parent in Oz and the other in the UK (specifically the facts I have the father is in Scotland! surely England would be the same). But he pays maintenace to her through he benefits she claims in OZ. She has been here a few years now.

Axx

I have also been advised by a solicitor who deals with family law in UK and an employee of the CSA in UK that CSA in Oz will intervene if an absent parent stops paying maintenance
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

This is such a confusing matter - I asked about this in Jan - see this thread as well:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417372

From what I can see UK CSA can do nothing about someone thats abroad, it is advised to have an agreement between the parties in place before hand. It can go to court, but then its the courts that deal with it not the CSA. Oz does have a CSA and i believe can help ensure court orders are met.

My main issue is without knowing if we have any jobs when we move to Oz how can we agree to pay a particualr amount? (CSA works this out in accordance with earnings, so while not earning anything surely this means no £). Also, when in Oz there is no way the equivalent amount in £ can be paid!!!!! However, if father is in UK and mother/Kids in Oz then they'll be better off if £ amount is the same due to exchagne rate?

All very confusing....