Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming back VAT?

Claiming back VAT?

Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Claiming back VAT?

Hi

can anyone advise me on claiming back VAT when leaving the UK?

There are a couple of items we would like to buy and take with us when we fly.

Can we claim the VAT when at the airport? Isn't that how non UK residents do it? (My husband could use his Australian passport to leave the country with, if this helps)!

Thank you
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Claiming back VAT?

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Hi

can anyone advise me on claiming back VAT when leaving the UK?

There are a couple of items we would like to buy and take with us when we fly.

Can we claim the VAT when at the airport? Isn't that how non UK residents do it? (My husband could use his Australian passport to leave the country with, if this helps)!

Thank you
When you buy the good ask the retailer for the form to fill out. Some retailers let you return afterwards (as long as you have the receipt) and fill out the form. You will be given a form and possibly an envelope.

This form needs to be stamped by customs before exit from the EU.

Each airport is slightly different and it depends on where you leave the EU. My Aussie wife claimed some jewellry at Heathrow, got the form stamped by customs (just after security) and there is a post box next to the customs counter. A month later the credit card was credited.

Last year we claimed stuff on our way out from Barcelona via Amsterdam. Hold luggage had to be stamped in Barcelona and hand luggage had to be claimed in Amsterdam. This was for all goods bought in the EU.

A lot of companies use www.globalrefund.com to handle the paperwork.

Finally first time round my Australian wife did the claiming but last year we both did seeing as I had PR and an Aussie drivers license to prove residence.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Thank you very much

Bondipom
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:20 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
When you buy the good ask the retailer for the form to fill out. Some retailers let you return afterwards (as long as you have the receipt) and fill out the form. You will be given a form and possibly an envelope.

This form needs to be stamped by customs before exit from the EU.

Each airport is slightly different and it depends on where you leave the EU. My Aussie wife claimed some jewellry at Heathrow, got the form stamped by customs (just after security) and there is a post box next to the customs counter. A month later the credit card was credited.

Last year we claimed stuff on our way out from Barcelona via Amsterdam. Hold luggage had to be stamped in Barcelona and hand luggage had to be claimed in Amsterdam. This was for all goods bought in the EU.

A lot of companies use www.globalrefund.com to handle the paperwork.

Finally first time round my Australian wife did the claiming but last year we both did seeing as I had PR and an Aussie drivers license to prove residence.

My hubby is Australian, does this mean that when we go we can claim the VAT back on anything we have recenlty bought. Like we have just bought a computer for £1100 we are using it in the Uk until we go, can he claim the VAT back and would this make him liable for GST on arrival?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:31 pm

Originally posted by kala
My hubby is Australian, does this mean that when we go we can claim the VAT back on anything we have recenlty bought. Like we have just bought a computer for £1100 we are using it in the Uk until we go, can he claim the VAT back and would this make him liable for GST on arrival?
Ask the retailer who sold you the goods. They have to provide you with the forms for customs to stamp. Not all retailers participate. Check the link above for the time limit between purchase and leaving the EU to be eligible.

For GST ignorance can be bliss.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:39 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Ask the retailer who sold you the goods. They have to provide you with the forms for customs to stamp. Not all retailers participate. Check the link above for the time limit between purchase and leaving the EU to be eligible.

For GST ignorance can be bliss.
Thanks a million, Handy to know, will be too late for the computer but I'm so goin shopping before we leave
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:44 pm

Yep I got a lot of clothes last November. Next participate and let you bring in all the receipts in one go rather than make you fill out the form each time.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:46 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Yep I got a lot of clothes last November. Next participate and let you bring in all the receipts in one go rather than make you fill out the form each time.
Reading the web site it loks like you have to have the items in your luggage so it doesn't look like I can buy stuff, claim and ship it? Is that the impression you got?

Cheers
Kala
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:48 pm

Reading the web site it loks like you have to have the items in your luggage so it doesn't look like I can buy stuff, claim and ship it? Is that the impression you got?

Cheers
Kala
There is a way with shipping it but I do not know the bureacracy. Have a look on her majestys customs website.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think that when you ship, you have to state on the forms if anything is under 12 mths old and provide the receipt.

You could then be asked to pay duty on importing it into Oz!
Old Jul 10th 2004, 12:19 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by gdcollectables
I think that when you ship, you have to state on the forms if anything is under 12 mths old and provide the receipt.

You could then be asked to pay duty on importing it into Oz!

AGH tax scares me, Think I'l stick to small things that fit in a suitcase.

I cant believe that I am using a 14% discount as an excuse to buy buy buy
Old Jul 10th 2004, 7:34 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

AGH tax scares me, Think I'l stick to small things that fit in a suitcase.

I cant believe that I am using a 14% discount as an excuse to buy buy buy

Like you ever need an excuse to shop!
Old Jul 12th 2004, 12:34 pm
EEL
Forum Regular

EEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Before I get too over excited and go on a major shopping spree - can I just confirm what I need to show customs.

I am an Australian, but have lived here for the last 7 years. Is ticket to Australia and an Australian Passport sufficient to get the VAT back?