Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineers in Australia

Civil Engineers in Australia

Old Mar 24th 2003, 7:15 am
Just Joined

irphan_in is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Civil Engineers in Australia

How good are the prospects for civil engineers in Australia? I hold a masters degree in Building construction and a degree in civil engineering. I have about 10 years of experience. I'm planning to migrate to Australia and exploring the pros and cons.

Could some one be kind enough to provide some information on this topic.

Cheers.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Hi SIS

My hubby is a civil engineer. I understand from looking at the link below that there is a shortage of civil engineers in South Australia and Victoria . If you decided to be state sponsored it would mean an easy 5 points thru STNI. The link is http://www.migration.vic.gov.au/. However, we decided not to take the sponsored route as we would like to settle in Brisbane.

How far have you got with your application? If you are just starting and have more questions let me know. I may be of some help since we started the process last January 2002 and officially submitted our application in May 2002. We had our medicals and p/checks requested in Feb 2003.

Good luck!
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:50 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Civil Engineers in Australia

Originally posted by irphan_in
How good are the prospects for civil engineers in Australia? I hold a masters degree in Building construction and a degree in civil engineering. I have about 10 years of experience. I'm planning to migrate to Australia and exploring the pros and cons.

Could some one be kind enough to provide some information on this topic.

Cheers.
Try Port Kembla near Wollongong - I have a mate who owns his own construction firm , he is based in Asia (chimney construction), he usually just does construction in the asian countries, like Indonesia, Thailand and Taiwan - he landed a deal for a huge contract with BHP for a major stack repair earlier this year - and I'm sure he said he'd be coming back to Aus later this year because of the amount of contracts he has landed around the area

It seems there is a lot of work in that area (Port Kembla way) for civil engineers

cheers
Old Mar 25th 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Thanks for the useful info Ceri.

We had heard that the construction industry in Brisbane was fairly active but it it is very encouraging hearing it from someone else.

Good luck!
Old Mar 26th 2003, 2:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by PADDAD
Thanks for the useful info Ceri.

We had heard that the construction industry in Brisbane was fairly active but it it is very encouraging hearing it from someone else.

Good luck!
Port Kembla is just below Wollongong and further down from Sydney, it's in NSW, (nowhere near Brisbane).

I've never been there, but mate is landing contracts around the area.

Should explain, this guy has been working in Asia for the past 20 years now, one of my old friends from when I was living out there - he builds chimneys throughout the South east Asian countries mostly - earlier this year he came to Aus after landing a contract, he came here (not here in Brisbane - he went to NSW) to set up the job which is occurring later in the year.

Anyway, why I know there is work around there - because he's landing a few big contracts in the area - he will be coming back to Aus, later this year - I think he said he'll be working in the area for about a year (his home is in Asia - has no intention of moving to Aus on a permanent basis, or at least I don’t think he has – anyway he’s too old ).

Before he got here I had to contact construction supply companies for things such as the lifting equipment, gondolas etc in the area for him as he was having trouble finding things in Aus as he was sitting in Asia. I'd never heard of Port Kembla before that, it seems to me while I was getting contacts for supplies for him, It looks if that area and the surrounding areas such as Wollongong is quite industrial with plenty going on with the construction side of things.

These links will show you more about the areas I am talking about:

http://www.1-globe.com/wherecw.htm
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]!OpenDocument

http://home.iprimus.com.au/ozthunder/surf.htm
http://www.aiw.org.au/industryoverview.htm

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 26th 2003 at 2:16 am.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Ceri

Will have a look at the links and brush up on my geog at the same time.

kind regards
Old Mar 26th 2003, 8:32 am
Just Joined

irphan_in is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Thank you very much Diana ...

I'm still in the initial stages. I will certainly contact you if I need help. Thanks again.

Cheers.
Old Mar 29th 2003, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

HI SIS

I have just read this thread again and realised that I poached info directed at you from Ceri. Honestly since I've started this whole emmigration thing I have become so self centred! So you may want to reread info kindly posted by Ceri as it was meant for you.

GOOD LUCK!