Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineer - Salary Help!

Civil Engineer - Salary Help!

Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

RCJ81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil Engineer - Salary Help!

Hi there, first time poster here and would greatly appreciate some advice. I am a civil engineer (site based) with 5 years experience and I have a job offer in Gladstone (QLD). I am considering moving from the UK and have been offered the following, and would be grateful if someone could advise if this was the "going rate" so to speak. The role is site engineer. Also would this amount enable a good standard of living? I have no children and will have to fully support my fiancee until she finds work. I should add that I am currently on 29k in the uk and trying to gauge if this will be a step up in terms of comparative salary.

$100,000 + LAFHA (which hasn't been made clear yet)
$10,000 relocation one off payment

Many thanks.

Last edited by RCJ81; Aug 31st 2011 at 10:37 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:38 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Engineer - Salary Help!

For a young (?) engineer with 5 years experience $100,000+ seems a reasonable salary and is certainly a salary that two can live on - either simply or pretty well, depending on how much the + is.

Gladstone is a growing town, what with the coal export from the local mines and now the LNG process plants being built on Curtis Island. Lots of things to do - sailing, snorkeling, swimming, etc.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
For a young (?) engineer with 5 years experience $100,000+ seems a reasonable salary and is certainly a salary that two can live on - either simply or pretty well, depending on how much the + is.

Gladstone is a growing town, what with the coal export from the local mines and now the LNG process plants being built on Curtis Island. Lots of things to do - sailing, snorkeling, swimming, etc.
Thank you for the reply, I am 28 and am not sure whether to ask for more or accept their offer. It's a big move, but one I am looking forward to. I just want to make sure I am getting what the going rate is for civil engineers in that area. That is certainly reassuring that it seems a reasonable salary.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RCJ81
Thank you for the reply, I am 28 and am not sure whether to ask for more or accept their offer. It's a big move, but one I am looking forward to. I just want to make sure I am getting what the going rate is for civil engineers in that area. That is certainly reassuring that it seems a reasonable salary.
100k for engineer
130k for senior engineer
150k for principal engineer

That's what I am finding on average in Brisbane for civil engineers. Your offer seems reasonable.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, first time poster here and would greatly appreciate some advice. I am a civil engineer (site based) with 5 years experience and I have a job offer in Gladstone (QLD). I am considering moving from the UK and have been offered the following, and would be grateful if someone could advise if this was the "going rate" so to speak. The role is site engineer. Also would this amount enable a good standard of living? I have no children and will have to fully support my fiancee until she finds work. I should add that I am currently on 29k in the uk and trying to gauge if this will be a step up in terms of comparative salary.

Many thanks.
For Gladstone, I would say that it is a bit low. Gladstone is now developing as a major seam gas processing hub and demand for engineers will be white hot.

You would be getting at least $150k working in Perth CBD - more on site.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:18 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For Gladstone, I would say that it is a bit low. Gladstone is now developing as a major seam gas processing hub and demand for engineers will be white hot.

You would be getting at least $150k working in Perth CBD - more on site.
Depends who he will be working for, and the terms and conditions. Yes, a civil engineer with 5 years experience might be able to get $150k in Perth, but that would presume that his experience and qualifications matched exactly with the employer's requirements.

$100k plus whatever in Gladstone is not bad at 28.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Seems a tad low too from what I know...120 seems about right but you might be ale to negotiate whopping lafha...?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
$100k plus whatever in Gladstone is not bad at 28.
Disagree. I would be looking for more.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I would say it's pretty much spot on.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:57 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
You'd probably pick up another 30k per annum with LAFHA. Once you've been here a while you could start picking up more $$ out in the field, but you're getting a good first step into Australia ... especially if you're coming from £27k.

Can you mention the name of the prospective employer ... or even the first letter? The company that I work for is also involved in the Gladstone project.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:09 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
No way is that the going rate for engineers in Gladstone especially if its for the lng plants, unless your a graduate that is. I lived there for 3 years just recently moved so I have a good indication of what people are earning.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for replying to the thread. Some mixed views and definately some food for thought! I would prefer not to mention the company on a public forum however. I will let you guys know how I get on!