citzenship

Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:17 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default citzenship

Dear Forum,
I was watching Merlin on Big Brother last night, and he said something that made me think. I am writing to ask if anyone knows if you have to give up your British passport when becoming an Aussie Citzen. Done of us (my family) intend on going home, but Iam British and proud of it, and wouldnt want to give up that. Can anyone help by answering my question. Thanks, Louisaxxx
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:20 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: citzenship

no need to give up british passport. you are able to be a dual-citizen

Originally posted by robertd
Dear Forum,
I was watching Merlin on Big Brother last night, and he said something that made me think. I am writing to ask if anyone knows if you have to give up your British passport when becoming an Aussie Citzen. Done of us (my family) intend on going home, but Iam British and proud of it, and wouldnt want to give up that. Can anyone help by answering my question. Thanks, Louisaxxx
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citzenship

No you don't you keep your British citizenship/passport and gain Austrlain in addition. Not sure why Merlin thought otherwise, perhaps it is different for German nationals.

Talking of Merlin, why did Gretel make such a big thing over the fact that he didn't have a vote (by not having citiizenship), he had after all made a bigger political statement than could have been achieved by using his vote.

Originally posted by robertd
Dear Forum,
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:54 am
ABCDiamond

It is different for Germans. Unlike the British, they can normally only hold one nationality.

I think that they can apply for special permission, from Germany, to be allowed to hold both nationalities, but normally would have to give up the German one to become Australian.

Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

ABC i did wonder if that was what the problem was, that he couldnt keep his nationality. Isnt that the same for the dutch? As mary donaldson had to give up her citizenship to marry the prince?
We are able to do ours after october this year.
Joanne
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jopaulss
ABC i did wonder if that was what the problem was, that he couldnt keep his nationality. Isnt that the same for the dutch? As mary donaldson had to give up her citizenship to marry the prince?
Joanne
Talking about that I still haven't got round to doing mine !!

Not sure about the Dutch rules.

Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but getting a bit catty here!!!! but I just don't like that Gretel woman.... She seems so bitchy...

booboo
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:36 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i have a friend who has just recently got a german passport for his kids (he is a kiwi, his kids are australian, his wife's father is german!!) and they didn't have to give up any citizenship to get them.

it might work differently the other way around (similar to when us poms could get an aussi passport without having to give up citizenship, but aussies would have to give up theirs to become british).

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
It is different for Germans. Unlike the British, they can normally only hold one nationality.

I think that they can apply for special permission, from Germany, to be allowed to hold both nationalities, but normally would have to give up the German one to become Australian.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:55 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by booboo
Sorry but getting a bit catty here!!!! but I just don't like that Gretel woman.... She seems so bitchy...

booboo

Yes, it's become the Gretel Killeen show (with some people in ahouse thrown in). I am not interested in how she felt about Merlin's statement. I also don't understand why she implied he shouldn't keep his prizes for himself - why - because he caused her to do her job, host a live TV show? Wonder how much of her earnings she contributes to Amnesty or Kidsline.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Germans can hold dual citizenship quite legally in some circumstances. For example, a child born in Australia to German parents (who have PR) will be automatically Australian by birth, as well as a German citizen. It's quite legal under German law to hold onto both citizenships in this situation.

Germans wishing to naturalise as Australian citizens do need to get permission from the German government in advance. This is easier to obtain now than it was before they changed their citizenship laws in 1999, although is not automatic.

Jeremy

Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Mary Donaldson married a Danish prince ... not a Dutch one.

She did have to renounce her Australian citizenship (as well as her British citizenship, which she held on account of her father's birth in Scotland). This was at the insistence of Denmark, not the UK or Australia.

Denmark does have fairly strict laws against dual citizenship, although again it's normally ok for a Dane to have dual citizenship if it's acquired at birth.

Jeremy

Originally posted by jopaulss
Joanne
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:16 am
JAJ
Retired

Dutch law is not dissimilar to German or Danish law - there is a general restriction on dual nationality, but there are a number of exemptions. Dutch citizens who acquire another citizenship at birth are normally allowed to keep it (although now need to keep their Dutch passports renewed) and Dutch citizens wishing to naturalise elsewhere may be able to keep their citizenship if they fall within a number of specific exemptions.

An important exemption is that a Dutch citizen is normally allowed to acquire the nationality of a spouse. It's not clear whether permission is required in advance.

Information on the rules can be accessed here:
http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/l...=dcnationality

Jeremy

Talking about that I still haven't got round to doing mine !!

Not sure about the Dutch rules.