Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which city, and what area.

Which city, and what area.

Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

skatterbrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which city, and what area.

Hey i have just taken up my Australian Passport after living in ENgland all my life. Im 26, i work as a photographer, and i have no idea which city is for me!!!

Melbourne looks like it could be good, but looking for a place to live there is a nightmare, My income will be around $55,000 Plus an additional $40,000 from my partner and i want to know which the nicest area would be within that price range.

thanks
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:23 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all
Default Re: Which city, and what area.

Originally Posted by skatterbrain
Hey i have just taken up my Australian Passport after living in ENgland all my life. Im 26, i work as a photographer, and i have no idea which city is for me!!!

Melbourne looks like it could be good, but looking for a place to live there is a nightmare, My income will be around $55,000 Plus an additional $40,000 from my partner and i want to know which the nicest area would be within that price range.

thanks
How long is a piece of string. Sorry but not an easy question to answer. Obviously what you can afford is a consideration but it depends what you and your partner enjoy. Going out on a limb, you're young, probably got no kids so you want to be inner city. Suburbia is more families and transportation becomes a bigger issue. But it also depends in which area you and your partner are working. Quite a few variables so any more info you can add can tend to get responses which are a bit more focused. By the way, looking for a place to live anywhere is a nightmare.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

skatterbrain is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, i was probably a little vague. It's going to be a year untill we leave, maybe less, although i have been offered a job which they will hold for me.

Does anyone have any starting points for reasonably priced areas in Melbourne?
Im looking at a place called St Kilda at the moment!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:41 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by skatterbrain
yeah, i was probably a little vague. It's going to be a year untill we leave, maybe less, although i have been offered a job which they will hold for me.

Does anyone have any starting points for reasonably priced areas in Melbourne?
Im looking at a place called St Kilda at the moment!
St Kilda is nice but expensive. I would suggest looking at www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au to get an idea of rental prices in the areas you want. To figure out what suburbs are inner city I suggest using google maps. There are too many areas to mention.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Probably looking for about $350 a week for a one bedroom flat inner areas.

Have a look at the http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au site which gives you the public transport routes then look at real estate or domain.com for property information.

St Kilda is ok but if you want to walk to the city then you need to be closer in like Richmond, South Yarra, East Melbourne, North Melbourne, Collingwood.

Medical people like North Melbourne, Parkville etc as near to the hospitals
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

If you are a young Couple I would look at the following Suburbs for a start they all good suburbs but probably looking for a 1-2 bedroom apt from 300-500 a week

Bayside
St Kilda
Elwood
Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Brighton
Hampton
Inner City North
Fitzroy
Carlton
Collingwood
Northcote