Wikiposts

Which city?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all
Default Re: Which city?

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Hey Thunderduck

I take it you are a ACCA DACCA fan......are you going to any UK shows ?

Having spent 2 1/2 years in Oz then come back I could describe our experience for you if we met at a gig for a beer ?
Are you going to any shows next year? A beer, or diet coke in my case sounds good, though perhaps the concert's we''re going to aren't exactly close by.

Last edited by Thunderduck; Dec 29th 2008 at 10:36 am.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all

Apologies for asking 101 questions but of Sydney and Melbourne, which is the most conservative?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thunderduck
Are you going to any shows next year? A beer, or diet coke in my case sounds good, though perhaps the concert's we''re going to aren't exactly close by.
Dusseldorf, O2 arena and Wembley.

Hampden I think is the last show and will be a blinder being the one show in their homeland.

What are you expecting to get out of Oz ?.........why are you going ? What is driving you away from here ?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:11 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Hampden I think is the last show and will be a blinder being the one show in their homeland.
I think you'll find the Aussies lay claim to AC/DC
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I think you'll find the Aussies lay claim to AC/DC
Not entirely. Angus and Malcolm are native Glaswegians. And Bon was from Kirriemuir.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Apologies for asking 101 questions but of Sydney and Melbourne, which is the most conservative?
I would not call either of them 'conservative'.

Sydney thinks it is the 'capital' of Australia. Melbourne just knows it is a better place to live.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Dusseldorf, O2 arena and Wembley.

What are you expecting to get out of Oz ?.........why are you going ? What is driving you away from here ?
3 shows! I envy you. I'm considering trying to get tickets for a London show too. And possibly for the concert in Spain on Angus's birthday.

Nothing is really driving me away from the UK. I love Glasgow very much, just about everything about life here suits me, even the weather.

It's my partner's idea, at first I didn't like it but now it's growing on me. It'll be a bit of an adventure, perhaps something I should experience while I'm young enough to return if necessary and be able to find work in the UK.

My partner doesn't hate the UK either. He's English but feels no particular tie to his country, he spent a year in Oz when he was a teen and fell in love with it. And since then he's wanted to return.

He thinks the quality of life will be better there, I think he is being rather idealistic as he wants a simpler life and his priorities have changed recently. And he thinks a change will be good for us.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:18 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Not entirely. Angus and Malcolm are native Glaswegians. And Bon was from Kirriemuir.
I'm only telling you what the Aussies think.....
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JR230898
I would not call either of them 'conservative'.

Sydney thinks it is the 'capital' of Australia. Melbourne just knows it is a better place to live.
LOL. Good, I don't think I could live in a conservative city. DP and I are pretty left wing.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

...and Brian is a Geordie !

....and Cliff is from Essex !

as usual, anything good the Aussies trying and steal.....!!!

I don't think any of them lives in Oz now onanything like a permanent basis.

Angus lives in Holland
Mal lives in London
Brian lives in Florida
Phil I think lives in NZ
Cliff...not sure

So 3/5ths at least in the Northern hemisphere !...1/5 in the ground in Freemantle.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I'm only telling you what the Aussies think.....
What they think and what the truth is are two very different things.

I'm happy to share AC/DC with the Aussies, though England also has a claim to them of sorts.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

...and Brian is a Geordie !

....and Cliff is from Essex !

as usual, anything good the Aussies trying and steal.....!!!

I don't think any of them lives in Oz now onanything like a permanent basis.

Angus lives in Holland
Mal lives in London
Brian lives in Florida
Phil I think lives in NZ
Cliff...not sure

So 3/5ths at least in the Northern hemisphere !...1/5 in the ground in Freemantle.
Cliff lives in Florida too I believe.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Noocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to all

Neither city is especially conservative, although I would say Melbourne is more left wing than Sydney overall. The inner area of Melbourne is predominantly left-wing, especially in the northern suburbs where there is a strong Labour/Greens vote.

But one area of Melbourne that I think will appeal to you is the Eltham area. It's on the edges of Melbourne, suburban, yet only a half hour drive into the city centre or a 40 minute train journey. The housing is sprinkled over hills and valleys within forest and surrounded by wildlife. The birds there are amazing - multi-coloured lorikeets plus other parrots and cockatoos.

Eltham also has a great village with plenty of restaurants, cafes, markets, and local arts/crafts. Montsalvat - an old artist's retreat - is perched on a hill above Eltham and is still a place where artists of all kinds live and create to their heart's content.

Eltham is also generally left-wing, environmentally conscious, and is very friendly. On average people there have amongst the best health and one of the highest life expectancies in Australia.

I don't live there myself. I live in Brunswick, an inner northern suburb which I love, but my mother lives in Eltham, so I know it well.

Based on everything you are looking for, I would highly recommend checking out this part of Melbourne when you visit as well as its neighbouring suburbs of Warrandyte, Research, St. Helena, and maybe Greensborough. Eltham is also on the doorstep of the Yarra Valley, one of the largest wine-making regions of Australia with loads of beautiful wineries and great mountain scenery and yet also close to a huge abundance of theatres, arts, restaurants, cafes of Melbourne's city.

Some links:
http://www.montsalvat.com.au/
http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...280C476A902CB/
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noocat
Neither city is especially conservative, although I would say Melbourne is more left wing than Sydney overall. The inner area of Melbourne is predominantly left-wing, especially in the northern suburbs where there is a strong Labour/Greens vote.

But one area of Melbourne that I think will appeal to you is the Eltham area. It's on the edges of Melbourne, suburban, yet only a half hour drive into the city centre or a 40 minute train journey. The housing is sprinkled over hills and valleys within forest and surrounded by wildlife. The birds there are amazing - multi-coloured lorikeets plus other parrots and cockatoos.

Eltham also has a great village with plenty of restaurants, cafes, markets, and local arts/crafts. Montsalvat - an old artist's retreat - is perched on a hill above Eltham and is still a place where artists of all kinds live and create to their heart's content.

Eltham is also generally left-wing, environmentally conscious, and is very friendly. On average people there have amongst the best health and one of the highest life expectancies in Australia.

I don't live there myself. I live in Brunswick, an inner northern suburb which I love, but my mother lives in Eltham, so I know it well.

Based on everything you are looking for, I would highly recommend checking out this part of Melbourne when you visit as well as its neighbouring suburbs of Warrandyte, Research, St. Helena, and maybe Greensborough. Eltham is also on the doorstep of the Yarra Valley, one of the largest wine-making regions of Australia with loads of beautiful wineries and great mountain scenery and yet also close to a huge abundance of theatres, arts, restaurants, cafes of Melbourne's city.

Some links:
http://www.montsalvat.com.au/
http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...280C476A902CB/
TY very much for suggesting some suburbs. We'll certainly see as many as possible when we go on holiday.

Eltham appeals greatly to us, also Warrandyte. DP likes the sound of Research but reading that it's one of the areas that are most prone to bushfires isn't terribly reassuring.

We'll have a look at prices in those areas next. We can really begin our research now that we have some suggestions. it's much appreciated.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Noocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to all

TY very much for suggesting some suburbs. We'll certainly see as many as possible when we go on holiday.

Eltham appeals greatly to us, also Warrandyte. DP likes the sound of Research but reading that it's one of the areas that are most prone to bushfires isn't terribly reassuring.

We'll have a look at prices in those areas next. We can really begin our research now that we have some suggestions. it's much appreciated.
The threat of bushfires is a drawback in these areas because of all the trees, but the fact is there hasn't been a fire that has caused damaged for many, many years, and tens of thousands of people live in these suburbs. There is always a chance and residents live with that possibility but the area is very well protected by the fire brigade. I know people who have lived in Eltham all their lives and never had a fire.

In contrast, I would be much more hesitant about living in the villages in the Dandenong Ranges. Now that is a place where the threat of bushfire is more than a slim possibility!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.