Which city?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all
Default Which city?

Asking again on behalf of dp, who is sitting reading the Living and Working In Australia guide. He's so enthusiastic about a possible move.

He'd like to know if posters could suggest which city to move to.

Perth is a little remote for us I think, but anywhere else goes.

He'd like somewhere with access to plenty of fresh food, preferably farmers markets, and somewhere with great seafood, he's a very keen cook.

He isn't that bothered about beach access, though he does love to fish.

He adores most sports, particuarly Rugby.

I'd like a city with relatively regular theatre/concert events, and somewhere that isn't too humid ideally.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which city?

Canberra!

Best of all worlds - weather nicely seasonal except for a few stinking hot weeks in summer but not humid at all.

Good cafes and restaurants and nice markets.

Very good sports facilities, close to the snowfields and the beach (2hrs drive for either).

Not bad theatre, more local/regional productions than big starry names but some good quality nonetheless.

Well planned city, quite modern, housing not as expensive as Sydney Melbourne and you can live reasonably close to the centre without breaking the bank.

Dont be put off by people who tell you it is boring - there is plenty to keep you occupied!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney- lots of theatre/arts etc, beaches, fishing, markets etc...good transport so you don't have to live in the expensive bits. You can go to lots of interesting /fun places easily. Not too humid- avoid Brisbane and further north, and warmer than Melbourne and Adelaide.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Adelaide! South Australia - the festival state! All kinds of things going on, theatre, Clipsal 500, music festivals, equestrian festivals, farmers markets and a real sense of community. Loads of choice in areas to live; city, beach, hills, rural. Not humid (I struggle with humid myself). Would be happy to get together for a coffee or something while you were here.

PS I bet you get a vote for every city!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all

LOL. I probably will get a vote for each, or several, but that's probably a good thing.

I'm beginning to feel slightly more positive about a possible move,I suppose I can think of it as an adventure, an experience rather than a life sentence.

DP favours Brisbane, but the climate wouldn't suit me there I think. Adelaide or Canberra would have been my choices, though Sydney sounds lovely too.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thunderduck
LOL. I probably will get a vote for each, or several, but that's probably a good thing.

I'm beginning to feel slightly more positive about a possible move,I suppose I can think of it as an adventure, an experience rather than a life sentence.

DP favours Brisbane, but the climate wouldn't suit me there I think. Adelaide or Canberra would have been my choices, though Sydney sounds lovely too.
Have you thought of Hobart? Quieter and more remote - but the scenery will remind you more of Scotland
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you thought of Hobart? Quieter and more remote - but the scenery will remind you more of Scotland
I haven't considered that actually. TY for suggesting it. I'll certainly research it.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thunderduck
I haven't considered that actually. TY for suggesting it. I'll certainly research it.
An oft-ignored city, but Tasmania is well worth considering, especially in the light of some of your other posts
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

An oft-ignored city, but Tasmania is well worth considering, especially in the light of some of your other posts
My husband and I are seriously considering investing in a property in Tasmania. We'll rent it out for now, then retire there when we're older.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

My vote goes to Tassie too - I absolutely adore it there. I'm from Scotland too and moved to Brisbane 3yrs ago. It's definitely not for me here and our aim is to end up in Tasmania eventually (although via Melbourne as of next week for my Aussie hubby to do his Masters for 18 months). We try to get down to visit hubby's gran and other family in Launceston (2nd largest city in the north of the island) at least once a year, but we love the whole island so much that the hard thing moving there will be finding the ideal spot!

My parents came out to visit me for the first time in May this year, and we took them down to visit Tasmania. They fell in love with it too... and my parents are the kind of people who say they will never ever leave Scotland. It had everything for them - fly-fishing for my dad, beautiful scenery, friendly locals, lots of little arty crafty gift shops... in fact, they keep describing it as Scotland in the days of old. Knowing that I plan to move and settle there was actually the seal in their blessing for me living so far from Scotland I guess!

I read your other post before this one and I guess you're like me when it comes to the weather. People think I'm mad for missing the Scottish climate! Brisbane is definitely a big no-no if you don't like the heat and the sun. When you're new to Queensland, it's really hard to spot any difference in the seasons (although I've been told through time you can tell a big big difference). In May in Tasmania, the trees were changing for autumn and it was so beautiful and really did help make me feel less homesick for Scotland.

I know you'll get a lot of good advice here about many a different place. From your list of things to consider though, Tasmania has AMAZING seafood, fishing, beautiful beaches (the Bay of Fires was voted the best in the world recently) and when it comes to theatre/concert events, there are lots of local festivals and events all year round. And it's just a short hop over the water to Melbourne if you need the occasional city culture!

The only thing about Tasmania is work... everything is on a much smaller scale and depending on your occupations, you might find it hard (or really easy!) to find work in your fields.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've only read a little of your other thread but does availability of work not come into the equation? What will you both be doing? Do you intend to find work before you come - or at least one of you?

Based on the criteria and the fact that you want some arts/culture, I'd say Sydney but then it's the only Australian city I've lived in. Melbourne would probably be a good alternative.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is the place. My children who are grown would not live anywhere else, my daughter likes France but she says she also loves Melbourne as its so diverse and if you have an interest you will find it here.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:15 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Does Melbourne get at all humid, Petals? I've only been there for a few days in Oct 07 and froze my bits off. I know it gets hot but it might suit the OP better than Sydney if it doesn't get so humid.

(Sidenote to Wendy I finally concede that Sydney gets humid. Saturday was the nearest thing to Singapore that I've experienced to date - funny really as we had friends visiting from there. Am off to Bunnings shortly...)
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've only read a little of your other thread but does availability of work not come into the equation? What will you both be doing? Do you intend to find work before you come - or at least one of you?

Based on the criteria and the fact that you want some arts/culture, I'd say Sydney but then it's the only Australian city I've lived in. Melbourne would probably be a good alternative.
Yes availability of work is an issue. My dp will be a chemical engineer when he finishes his phd, and I'm studying to become a toxicologist, though I'm planning on a year of teacher training, as I rather like the idea of becoming a chemistry teacher.

I think we wouldn't be happy to go unless at least one of us has been offered a job over there.

Dp still favours Brisbane but has accepted it isn't the place for me, and he wants me to be happy so we're looking at Hobart,Melbourne and Adelaide at present.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Melbourne ticks all your boxes. The market in Melbourne CBD has a great variety of fruits and veggies and plenty of fresh fish. It is the city you get every kind of food you would get in Europe as well.
Melbourne is a sport city and lots of entertainment. Melbourne is not humid, colder then other citys in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.