Wikiposts

Which city?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:45 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which city?

Grayling speaks sense. Just 14 months ago I actually got excited at the thought of being moved to Hyderabad. 7 months later, here we were, erm, in Sydney. Sydney was a place we planned to move to 7 years ago, and six months later we were living in, erm, Singapore. That one happened so fast I didn't have chance to get excited.

I'm the kind of "wherever I lay my hat" person, and I do love Sydney but I'm under no illusions that a city is a city is a city. They all have problems and things you won't like, and if you're working you won't be on the beach every day like a Bondi Backpacker - you'll be in a traffic jam or crushed on the train, just like you would be in the UK.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thunderduck
For me Scotland is as close to Utopia as I'll get.
That is why you need to be careful

G
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is why you need to be careful

G
We will be. I want dp to look at the negatives too.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Seasider
Grayling speaks sense. Just 14 months ago I actually got excited at the thought of being moved to Hyderabad. 7 months later, here we were, erm, in Sydney. Sydney was a place we planned to move to 7 years ago, and six months later we were living in, erm, Singapore. That one happened so fast I didn't have chance to get excited.

I'm the kind of "wherever I lay my hat" person, and I do love Sydney but I'm under no illusions that a city is a city is a city. They all have problems and things you won't like, and if you're working you won't be on the beach every day like a Bondi Backpacker - you'll be in a traffic jam or crushed on the train, just like you would be in the UK.
I'm under no illusions that there'll be things I hate in Oz. Still it's helpful to be reminded of this I admit. I'm not a beach person at all so I don't dream of living a Neighbours/Home and Away lifestyle.

I have a long list of things I'll miss about Scotland. Though besides family, most of them seem rather shallow.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

During my time in Oz i stayed in Sydney and visited Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra and I come from Scotland. One thing I would say is they classify towns differently over there for Sydney and Melbourne think Glasgow in size terms not London. I found Brisbane unbelievably quiet compared to UK cities although its very nice if you want the quiet life. I'd also say if you come from Scotland and are used to sh1t weather somewhere like Brisbane would be irritatingly warm. Sydney weather was perfect as far as i was concerned in winter it was cold and crisp and very dry. Perfect. Canberra is freezing and most homes dont have any heating. Painful. I think Melbourne and Sydney are the places to consider lots of work, big cities, nightlife, culture in melbourne in terms of cafes and a music scene etc restaurants are better in Australia i would say food is far better. But never underestimate how much of a backwater Australia is.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Can anyone tell me if the news is as awful as I've read? The news and documentaries are about the only things I watch on tv.

There's always the internet so I can get news from the BBC so I suppose it isn't a major issue, I'm just curious.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:00 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

We're planning to take a holiday first, for a month or so, before making a decision, then giving it at least a year.

You've answered one of my questions by stating that Sydney and Melbourne are best for science related jobs., dp will be in in chemical engineering, and toxicology/analytical chemistry for me.

Sydney is about 4th on our list but I would consider it if the job market is good there. Melbourne is probably our no 1 choice as everything about it seems to be perfect for us.

I'm actually beginning to look forward to it now, damn dp, I swear he's hypnotised me.:curse:
My wife is a biochemist having worked for all the big Pharmas and a few biotechs in UK, USA and Asia. She looked for a few months before becoming a full time mum. If you PM me I will forward an employment agents contact details in the science field, for assertation of your market worth and employment prospects.

If you come out and rent and keep from acquiring too much house junk it would be easy to move on if things don't work out.

You cannot treat the experience as just a holiday because the 2 are completely different experiences. And living a city means enduring the downs as well as the ups.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:03 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me if the news is as awful as I've read? The news and documentaries are about the only things I watch on tv.

There's always the internet so I can get news from the BBC so I suppose it isn't a major issue, I'm just curious.
SBS and internet is where most acquire news.

Channel 9, 7 and 10 are for entertainment (although which audience???)
To us its just more reason to pick up another good book.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
My wife is a biochemist having worked for all the big Pharmas and a few biotechs in UK, USA and Asia. She looked for a few months before becoming a full time mum. If you PM me I will forward an employment agents contact details in the science field, for assertation of your market worth and employment prospects.

If you come out and rent and keep from acquiring too much house junk it would be easy to move on if things don't work out.

You cannot treat the experience as just a holiday because the 2 are completely different experiences. And living a city means enduring the downs as well as the ups.
Ty for the advice. And I'll pm you for contact details.

Speaking of books. I love to read, but mostly non fiction. Do you know if there are a lot of good book shops in the major cities?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of books. I love to read, but mostly non fiction. Do you know if there are a lot of good book shops in the major cities?
Books tend to be pretty expensive.....and the choice can be limited depending on where you live.

The libraries are very similar to UK ones though

G
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:11 am
Has left the building

Borders
Angus & Robertson
A lot of independents - some of there names evade me at present as I just walk in and browse.
Lots of libraries

Coffee is a big thing in Melbourne. And reading a book is a great complimentary activity.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Asking again on behalf of dp, who is sitting reading the Living and Working In Australia guide. He's so enthusiastic about a possible move.

He'd like to know if posters could suggest which city to move to.

Perth is a little remote for us I think, but anywhere else goes.

He'd like somewhere with access to plenty of fresh food, preferably farmers markets, and somewhere with great seafood, he's a very keen cook.

He isn't that bothered about beach access, though he does love to fish.

He adores most sports, particuarly Rugby.

I'd like a city with relatively regular theatre/concert events, and somewhere that isn't too humid ideally.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Hey Thunderduck

I take it you are a ACCA DACCA fan......are you going to any UK shows ?

Having spent 2 1/2 years in Oz then come back I could describe our experience for you if we met at a gig for a beer ?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:15 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You get cable TV and, if you're like me, your default station is BBC World. I often have it on in the background like I would the radio, although recently I've discovered ABC Radio National. All the doco channels you would get on cable in the UK.

Books - there are bookstores galore (incl Borders and Kinokuniya) but books are expensive; if you have a search of this site you will find suggestions for ordering online. Again I can only speak for Sydney but I've seen tons of second-hand book stores; went in one last week in Newtown which was so big it blew my mind.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Hey Thunderduck

I take it you are a ACCA DACCA fan......are you going to any UK shows ?

Having spent 2 1/2 years in Oz then come back I could describe our experience for you if we met at a gig for a beer ?
I'm going to see them in June at Hampden.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like there'll be enough bookstores to keep me satisfied. I'd prefer to buy locally if possible and put my money into the local economy but I'll look up online options too, as there may be occasionally be something I desparately want and can't get if the selection is relatively limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.