Wikiposts

Which city?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Which city?

We live in the eastern burbs of Melbourne and, by public transport, we are less than an hr into the CBD and we are quite close to the national parks of the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley. Lots of tall forest and wildlife.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JR230898
We live in the eastern burbs of Melbourne and, by public transport, we are less than an hr into the CBD and we are quite close to the national parks of the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley. Lots of tall forest and wildlife.
That sounds perfect. I think we'll look at which of the 3 cities we're considering, Hobart,Melbourne and Adelaide is the most expensive. I suspect Melbourne but there are a few financial factors to be considered.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Thunderduck
That sounds perfect. I think we'll look at which of the 3 cities we're considering, Hobart,Melbourne and Adelaide is the most expensive. I suspect Melbourne but there are a few financial factors to be considered.
Yes, and that is going to largely depend on the availability of employment that you'll be looking for; Hobart, Melbourne, and Adelaide will each have a very different employment market.

Hobart will be very specific and limited somewhat in employment opportunities. Adelaide and Melbourne will have more choice. Melbourne because it is a larger population centre but, do not discount Adelaide.

Adelaide has long been a city which has been attracting political support. It is a place that the both the Federal & State govts are trying to stimulate the local, thereby state economy, with significant support to defence (shipbuilding and new army precinct to be established to the north of Adelaide) and the mining industries (BHP-Billiton..check out Olympic Dam). Investigate the looming work opportunities in both.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Bluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant future

Hi Thunderduck

Have you thought about taking a holiday to Australia and explore the cities you are interested in? Failing that, buy the lonely planet book on Australia, you may find that useful.

I'm a chemist, and looking at the job sites, felt Melbourne and Sydney had the best opportunities.

When I explored Australia for a month, felt Melbourne was best. The other cities may have better weather but Melbourne has so much going on especially if you like sport.

A mate of mine emigrated to Australia and would have liked to have lived in Brisbane but his company offices are in Melbourne. Having lived there for a couple of years, he loves it and has no intention of moving which is good for me as I'm emigrating to OZ next year and having someone I know in my preferred city which is great
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bluenose
Hi Thunderduck

Have you thought about taking a holiday to Australia and explore the cities you are interested in? Failing that, buy the lonely planet book on Australia, you may find that useful.

I'm a chemist, and looking at the job sites, felt Melbourne and Sydney had the best opportunities.

When I explored Australia for a month, felt Melbourne was best. The other cities may have better weather but Melbourne has so much going on especially if you like sport.

A mate of mine emigrated to Australia and would have liked to have lived in Brisbane but his company offices are in Melbourne. Having lived there for a couple of years, he loves it and has no intention of moving which is good for me as I'm emigrating to OZ next year and having someone I know in my preferred city which is great

We're planning to take a holiday first, for a month or so, before making a decision, then giving it at least a year.

You've answered one of my questions by stating that Sydney and Melbourne are best for science related jobs., dp will be in in chemical engineering, and toxicology/analytical chemistry for me.

Sydney is about 4th on our list but I would consider it if the job market is good there. Melbourne is probably our no 1 choice as everything about it seems to be perfect for us.

I'm actually beginning to look forward to it now, damn dp, I swear he's hypnotised me.:curse:
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Bluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant future

We're planning to take a holiday first, for a month or so, before making a decision, then giving it at least a year.

You've answered one of my questions by stating that Sydney and Melbourne are best for science related jobs., dp will be in in chemical engineering, and toxicology/analytical chemistry for me.

Sydney is about 4th on our list but I would consider it if the job market is good there. Melbourne is probably our no 1 choice as everything about it seems to be perfect for us.

I'm actually beginning to look forward to it now, damn dp, I swear he's hypnotised me.:curse:
Thunderduck, not sure how far you have explored the visa options but it was only talking to people on here that I discovered that I could get state sponsorship for my skills.

Always wanted to spend an extended period of time in Australia and too old for holiday visa so really pleased that I now have my visa!!!

I'm glad that both of you are excited, I only have myself to worry about. Heard of stories of couples breaking up over moving abroad. What have you to lose? I'm treating it like an adventure, always wanted to work abroad and the fact they speak the same language helps. If I find Australia is not for me, at least I have found out without wondering what if?

Here's a few links to job sites.

http://employment.byron.com.au/index.html
http://www.seek.com.au/
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bluenose
Thunderduck, not sure how far you have explored the visa options but it was only talking to people on here that I discovered that I could get state sponsorship for my skills.

Always wanted to spend an extended period of time in Australia and too old for holiday visa so really pleased that I now have my visa!!!

I'm glad that both of you are excited, I only have myself to worry about. Heard of stories of couples breaking up over moving abroad. What have you to lose? I'm treating it like an adventure, always wanted to work abroad and the fact they speak the same language helps. If I find Australia is not for me, at least I have found out without wondering what if?

Here's a few links to job sites.

http://employment.byron.com.au/index.html
http://www.seek.com.au/
TY for the links, we'll certainly check them out.

When he first mentioned it I thought we were going to be one of those couples, up until yesterday, as at first I was pretty upset and angry about it. Now that I've had time to think about it, I'm beginning to see it as an adventure and not as a life sentence. His enthusiasm is rubbing off on me.
I may even enjoy it.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, has Canberra fallen off your list of desired places?

We can do beauty

Both of these within a few minutes drive of the city centre and yet the mountain view is definite bush (kangaroos, possums, birds etc). I can walk to the top of the mountain from my place - my DH could (and does) run up and back within an hour - for me it takes much longer

Great place to bring up kids, as good an education as you will get anywhere in Aus - strong private system alongside the government system. Good facilities. Chemistry teachers needed!!!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Oh dear, has Canberra fallen off your list of desired places?

We can do beauty
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...9/RIMG0022.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...9/RIMG0032.jpg

Both of these within a few minutes drive of the city centre and yet the mountain view is definite bush (kangaroos, possums, birds etc). I can walk to the top of the mountain from my place - my DH could (and does) run up and back within an hour - for me it takes much longer

Great place to bring up kids, as good an education as you will get anywhere in Aus - strong private system alongside the government system. Good facilities. Chemistry teachers needed!!!!
We hadn't seriously considered Canberra but we will now. Particuarly as we want to have children and an excellent education is very important to us. DP particuarly wants them to go to private school.

You Aussies have too many beautiful and wonderful cities. It doesn't make it easy to choose.

Perhaps we'll go on a month long holiday that lets you see most of the major cities, that may help us to make the decision.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You Aussies have too many beautiful and wonderful cities. It doesn't make it easy to choose.
Try keeping things in perspective.

The cities here are no more beautiful or wonderful than anywhere else in the world.

You can not plan your life on pretty pictures.

Get the important basics right if you want this to succeed.

G
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try keeping things in perspective.

The cities here are no more beautiful or wonderful than anywhere else in the world.

You can not plan your life on pretty pictures.

Get the important basics right if you want this to succeed.

G
I know, still it's nice to look at the pics.

That's why we're investigating job markets, living costs etc. So far it seems as though Melbourne is best for us. There are other cities we'd love but the jobs just aren't there.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:24 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Is it your DP that's infected you with his desire to move, or us with our enthusiasm about our adopted homes?

As somebody said above - life is an adventure, and it sounds like you are both at the right time in your lives to have one. It doesn't have to be forever if you don't want it to be; just come with an open mind.

Your holiday is a good idea, just remember to get off the tourist routes and try to look at prospective home suburbs as well as having fun.

BTW re. wildlife - this is on my patio, a metre from my lounge, in my little house 5 minutes' walk from the North Sydney CBD and 5 minutes on the train from Wynyard and the main CBD.
Attached Thumbnails Which city?-possum.jpg  
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
Is it your DP that's infected you with his desire to move, or us with our enthusiasm about our adopted homes?

As somebody said above - life is an adventure, and it sounds like you are both at the right time in your lives to have one. It doesn't have to be forever if you don't want it to be; just come with an open mind.

Your holiday is a good idea, just remember to get off the tourist routes and try to look at prospective home suburbs as well as having fun.

BTW re. wildlife - this is on my patio, a metre from my lounge, in my little house 5 minutes' walk from the North Sydney CBD and 5 minutes on the train from Wynyard and the main CBD.
Both I think. Though perhaps he's slipped something into my drink.

I keep looking at the Rovers Return forum to prevent myself from liking the idea too much, there are reasons to stay after all.

Love the possum pic.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Both I think. Though perhaps he's slipped something into my drink.
Try to keep a level head.

We see it time and time again on here where the process of getting a visa becomes an obsession and rational thought goes out of the window.

It can all become a massive anti climax in the end.

Remember.... you are talking about moving countries not going to heaven or paradise.

G
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try to keep a level head.

We see it time and time again on here where the process of getting a visa becomes an obsession and rational thought goes out of the window.

It can all become a massive anti climax in the end.

Remember.... you are talking about moving countries not going to heaven or paradise.

G
It's my dp who needs to keep a level head. I'm looking at the pros and cons too. I keep thinking about how much I'll miss Scotland, but I just see it as an adventure. DP seems to be thinking of it as utopia.

For me Scotland is as close to Utopia as I'll get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.