Wikiposts

Which city?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all
Default Re: Which city?

The other consideration is that we're planning on having children in the next few years, and we'd like a city that's reasonably child friendly.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

All Australian Citys are child friendly, the Australians love kids and have lots of, everywhere you go
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all

I'm going to be shallow here, but which city would be considered the most beautiful?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney harbour is stunning; city centre is IMHO ugly. Sydney is all about the water.

Don't know Melbourne well enough to comment; haven't been to any other cities (Uluru and Palm Cove don't count, I guess ).

You have to consider that you may not end up living in the city itself - it can be very expensive - so have to consider the suburbs, too.

This photo taken 5 mins from my house (with apologies to those that have seen it umpteen times already!). This is my idea of Sydney; this is why I'm here.
Attached Thumbnails Which city?-our-bridge.jpg  
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

We'd be happy with the suburbs, perhaps even more so than in the city.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Great pic. I have to say until dp suggested the move, and I began to research, inbetween whinging, that I never realised how stunningly beautiful Australia is.

Not the type of beauty I'm used to, but just as stunning in it's own way.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney harbour is breath taking, but the city isn't. (IMHO)

Melbourne doesn't have the wow factor, but its a beautiful mix of old and new (except fed square which needs burning!) and everytime I go into it I find something else that makes me go "oh wow, look! I haven't noticed that before" I have lived here for 5 years.

Melbournes WINTERS are cooler than elsewhere in Aus, but we don't get much rain and humidity is very rarely high. Summers can be scorching, but theres heaps to do in all seasons here...
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Thunderduck
I'm going to be shallow here, but which city would be considered the most beautiful?
Perth
It's the best city for us, nice Mediterranean climate, lots of great beaches along the coastline, laidback lifestyle, not busy as Melbourne and Sydney, but has everything you need for life. Public transport is pretty good, jobs etc.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:10 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

MELBOURNE!!!

Last edited by hevs; Dec 28th 2008 at 10:49 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We'd be happy with the suburbs, perhaps even more so than in the city.
Absolutely - my point is that we can tell you about cities but the centres may be very different from the 'burbs, and obviously you won't be able to ask specifics yet.

Just in and around Sydney you could live in a little terrace in a bohemian/studenty/gay area (e.g., Newtown), at the beach (Bondi/Coogee type, or the very different Northern Beaches), a historic terrace or cottage on the Lower North Shore (where I am), in a house on the river accessible only by boat (Berowra), in a cottage in the Blue Mountains, on a brand new estate (e.g., Kellyville)...you get the idea?

Great pic. I have to say until dp suggested the move, and I began to research, inbetween whinging, that I never realised how stunningly beautiful Australia is.

Not the type of beauty I'm used to, but just as stunning in it's own way.
Australia is a humungous country, and very diverse. I'd been here three times before we moved here in May and have only seen a tiny fraction of it. Looking forward to seeing much more.

Actually, if you go to the Blue Mountains you might think you're in Scotland.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know what dp has done to me, but I'm almost excited about the thought of going to Australia, now that I'm over the initial shock. I'm hoping it's due to temporary insanity on my part.

Great Melbourne pics btw.

DP wants somewhere where he can watch the wildlife. We're in the country at the moment,and he's at his happiest when watching the birds and deer here. He's a fussy bugger.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:29 pm
High in the Dandenongs

You can't get wildlife in the cities though, well not deers anyway
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hevs
You can't get wildlife in the cities though, well not deers anyway
That's partly why the suburbs appeal more to us than the centre of a city.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

In Melbourne going east you would need to be at least 40 ks from the city to get any real countryside. If you had to work in the CBD you would be looking at an hour on the train or an hour and a half (ish) on the freeway..
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hevs
In Melbourne going east you would need to be at least 40 ks from the city to get any real countryside. If you had to work in the CBD you would be looking at an hour on the train or an hour and a half (ish) on the freeway..
I'm used to long commutes so that part wouldn't bother me, but I think I'd be more comfortable in the suburbs, than right out in the country. DP is used to the country but I'm a city girl, and find that the suburbs suited us both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.