Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizeonship requirement

Citizeonship requirement

Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:41 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Citizeonship requirement

Hello there,
Me and my wife arrived in Australia in September 2006, we split up in Early March 2008 and I left with literally nothing (caught her having an affair). I have existed for 3 or 4 months but thats all it's been. I've tried to hang in there as I still love Australia but quite litterally I was heading for a breakdown and needed to come back to england to see my family and get my head straight.
Im financially in wreck and ruin and need to know what would be required for me to attain citizenship, I sold my car and left my business as is - I have had my tax affairs sorted by a book keeper upto reconcilliation and im ok on that score.
i have a permanent resident visa but so want to become a citizeon, I've been back in the uk for only a week and miss Australia so much.
Im going to have to get a Job and find somewhere to live again for sure.
Any Ideas what would be my best plan of action?
Stressed Mick
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Citizeonship requirement

For something like this you need to contact an agent.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:20 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RCoight
For something like this you need to contact an agent.
Why ? Citizenship applications are not a matter for migration agents ????
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:24 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Hello there,
Me and my wife arrived in Australia in September 2006, we split up in Early March 2008 and I left with literally nothing (caught her having an affair). I have existed for 3 or 4 months but thats all it's been. I've tried to hang in there as I still love Australia but quite litterally I was heading for a breakdown and needed to come back to england to see my family and get my head straight.
Im financially in wreck and ruin and need to know what would be required for me to attain citizenship, I sold my car and left my business as is - I have had my tax affairs sorted by a book keeper upto reconcilliation and im ok on that score.
i have a permanent resident visa but so want to become a citizeon, I've been back in the uk for only a week and miss Australia so much.
Stressed Mick
Mate,

You arrived in Sept 2006. You are eligible to apply for citizenship with 2 years residence rather than the new 4 year requirement.

To quote in fact -

People who became permanent residents on or after 1 July 2007 must have been lawfully resident in Australia for four years immediately before applying including:
12 months as a permanent resident
and
absences from Australia of no more than 12 months, including no more than three months in the 12 months before applying.
People who became permanent residents before 1 July 2007 and apply before 30 June 2010 must have been physically present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the five years before applying, including one year in the two years before applying.

Have a look at http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/index.htm

Of course you do need to be actually resident in Australia and meet the criteria so double check.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

pstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the rough

Hi Mick sorry to hear about your news. One thing you must do is stay until September this year so you can apply for your citizenship - so hang on in their. You in the lucky position of having to do only 2 years as you become a resident before July 2007. You can collect an application form from your libary and as soon as you reach your two year aniversary get your application form in.
You have been through so much a few more months is not far and you never know your luck may change. When one door shuts another one always opens.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Hello there,
Stressed Mick
You need to come back to Australia and make up the time so that you have a total of two years spent in the country. If you had stayed here continuously from Sept 06 you would've been eligible in Sept 08, as it is you will have to make up the exstra time because you have spent a while in the UK.
There is a calculator on the website, which is here -
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/index.htm
Old Jun 28th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

First problem is you need to come back to Australia, as you have to be resident when you apply for citizenship.

Come back, and once you meet the required amount of time then apply for it. You wont need an agent, you’re already a permanent resident.

Mikey
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Mick
I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, it must be really hard for you at the minute. Don't throw your citizenship away, I know your head must be in a spin at the minute but come back get your citizenship then you can always go back to the UK for a while till you get straight. If you have only been back in the UK a week it isn't going to have much impact on your citizenship so jump on the next plane out. Which state did you live in, there may be people on the board who can help and be a shoulder to lean on if things are tough when you return.
Take care.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hope you make it back in time. I can't imagine having to give up living where your heart is as well as the other crap you're going through.

Just as a matter of interest if you're going to live here anyway why isn't PR sufficient?

We did the test ourselves last week (which you'll need to do even though you qualify for the earlier citizenship date) and I'm told it'll be a few weeks till invitation and a few more months to arrange the ceremony.

For info I didn't find the test easy but still finished in about 4 minutes with great results but it's definitely worth reading the book they give you - not a bad read anyway.

Anyway good luck with getting back here and getting your application processed.

Carolyn
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 3:54 pm
Banned

knvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really niceknvbmick is just really nice

Hello again - this is Mick_newcastle under a disguise an update!
Been back now for 3 months and only managed to get a months work.
NO IT Work whatsoever the market is dead here! No prospects apart from a dark and cold winter of depression!
Got enough money to Pay for a one way flight and keep myself in backpacker accommodation for first 2 months - going to stay in Brisbane and take any job to get by!
I've argued non stop and cant live at my parents anymore- so im going to take that risk.

Realistically given that I have nothing left to lose - how much of a risk is it for a 37 year old with no debt - no kids to scrape by in Brisbane?
ANyone got a job 4 me haha

I am unrestricted for work so if anyone has any contacts or advice!

Am I making a mistake? I feel its my only option and I have nothing more to lose
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knvbmick
Hello again - this is Mick_newcastle under a disguise an update!
Been back now for 3 months and only managed to get a months work.
NO IT Work whatsoever the market is dead here! No prospects apart from a dark and cold winter of depression!
Got enough money to Pay for a one way flight and keep myself in backpacker accommodation for first 2 months - going to stay in Brisbane and take any job to get by!
I've argued non stop and cant live at my parents anymore- so im going to take that risk.

Realistically given that I have nothing left to lose - how much of a risk is it for a 37 year old with no debt - no kids to scrape by in Brisbane?
ANyone got a job 4 me haha

I am unrestricted for work so if anyone has any contacts or advice!

Am I making a mistake? I feel its my only option and I have nothing more to lose
Go for it mate - you've still got your magic PR visa remember - what's you exact line of work in IT ? Email some agencies in Brisbane your CV and tell them you will be back on such and such a date and available for interview - that should hopefully get the ball rolling.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Mick,

It sounds like you did what you had to do when you went to the UK. At 37 most of us would struggle to live with our parents again let alone try to deal with what your going through at the moment.

Maybe now you've started to take stock of your situation and realized that Oz is still for you its time to make the decision and draw a line under it.

Not sure where you lived before but we love Brissy, come back, get some work and start to live for you. Sounds like getting a focus / plan will really do you good.

Let us know how you get on.

T x