Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship- what do I need to do??

Citizenship- what do I need to do??

Old May 31st 2008, 9:05 am
Ready to go home!!!

Ginger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant future
Default Citizenship- what do I need to do??

Hi,

We are just coming up to our 2 years in the country and will be applying for citizenship. Can someone explain the process and how I go about applying. What docs do I need?? Who do I phone to get the balls in motion??

Thanks
Emma
Old May 31st 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship- what do I need to do??

You will be required to pass a citizenship test. However, I have it on good authority that this may be waived if you make an Australia shaped pizza.....
Attached Thumbnails Citizenship- what do I need to do??-australia_shaped_pizza.jpg  
Old May 31st 2008, 9:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

First off you need to ring your nearest DIAC office and book an appointment to do the test. Then you get on the website and order the booklet. You read and reread the booklet, and try the online tests here. You then download this form, get some photos done and have one certified as you by an Aussie in a listed profession who's known you for 12 months.

You attend your test, hand over your driving licence, your passport and your birth certificate and marriage certificate to show proof of change of name (if femail). Sit the test. When you pass, you hand over the completed form, the person thanks you, tells you your confirmation letter will be in the post and you go home.

You wait for the letter. You then wait for a second letter which will invite you to a ceremony near you. You accept and rock up to said ceremony. You then apply for your Australian passport.

Too easy
Old May 31st 2008, 10:01 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
First off you need to ring your nearest DIAC office and book an appointment to do the test. Then you get on the website and order the booklet. You read and reread the booklet, and try the online tests here. You then download this form, get some photos done and have one certified as you by an Aussie in a listed profession who's known you for 12 months.

You attend your test, hand over your driving licence, your passport and your birth certificate and marriage certificate to show proof of change of name (if femail). Sit the test. When you pass, you hand over the completed form, the person thanks you, tells you your confirmation letter will be in the post and you go home.

You wait for the letter. You then wait for a second letter which will invite you to a ceremony near you. You accept and rock up to said ceremony. You then apply for your Australian passport.

Too easy
Now that my friends is an excellent response!! Aside from the spelling mistake (ahem, female) it gives everything you need!
Old May 31st 2008, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

You attend your test, hand over your driving licence, your passport and your birth certificate and marriage certificate to show proof of change of name (if femail).
Or rather, if you changed your name when you married. ie, this applies to both males and females who changed their name.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Too easy
If its that easy for me, I'll make you a Super Mod..........I'm already ahving the "why don't you have a driving licence" issue, and all I've done is ring and ask about an appointment for the test
Old May 31st 2008, 12:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If its that easy for me, I'll make you a Super Mod..........I'm already ahving the "why don't you have a driving licence" issue, and all I've done is ring and ask about an appointment for the test
I don't want to be a soooooper mod. You get 100% more abuse than bog standard mods. Mind you I remember saying on more than one occasion that over my dead body would I become a mod so......

Come and take the test in Southport. They'd be far more understanding. You only seem to get jobsworths in Brissie. We have humans down here