Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship wait - 2yrs to 3yrs

Wikiposts

Citizenship wait - 2yrs to 3yrs

Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:18 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Citizenship wait - 2yrs to 3yrs

Just to pass on the gossip...

I was at DIMA in Brisbane a few days ago getting my visa transferred from old passport to new, and I asked the lady behind the desk what she knew about when the waiting time to get citizenship would change from 2 years to 3 years.

She said she was pretty sure the date it would come into effect was Australia Day, 2007, but not to quote her on that. But - that's the gossip floating around DIMA at the moment.

Thought I'd share.

W.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Citizenship wait - 2yrs to 3yrs

We're due to get citizenship in July next year - do you know whether it will effect those already in the system? We're hoping it might just be for new applicants but are not very hopefull!
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:31 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Honestly - I couldnt tell you. But there are other threads on here about the same topic, different dates of implementation being chucked around. You might find your answer there?

W.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

emu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by trehere
We're due to get citizenship in July next year - do you know whether it will effect those already in the system? We're hoping it might just be for new applicants but are not very hopefull!
It will affect everyone who has not yet submitted their valid citizenship application.

Re dates, it will be whenever it the government gets the bill passed to change the act.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Upon review one of the recommendations that was put forward was that it should only affect people who obtain the permanent residency after the bill is passed into law, although at this stage there is no confirmation if these recommendation will be accepted and the proposed bill amended or not.

Cheers

Paul
Old Jun 27th 2006, 5:01 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Just to pass on the gossip...

I was at DIMA in Brisbane a few days ago getting my visa transferred from old passport to new, and I asked the lady behind the desk what she knew about when the waiting time to get citizenship would change from 2 years to 3 years.

She said she was pretty sure the date it would come into effect was Australia Day, 2007, but not to quote her on that. But - that's the gossip floating around DIMA at the moment.

Thought I'd share.

W.
Wow that seems a bit harsh. I want to be Australian! Maybe Queensland will keep doing their own thing as they are always running tv ads saying there has never been a better time to become a citizen. Fingers crossed eh!

Sarah