Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship and the visa

Citizenship and the visa

Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default Citizenship and the visa

I have just had my citizenship interview on the Gold Coast, and was told it was approved there and then (which was a bit of a surprise), and that I should expect the confirmation letter in the next few days. I was also told there is currently a 2-3 month wait for the ceremony here.

One question I have here is when does the PR visa in my UK passport stop being valid?

The guy at DIMIA who did my interview said it will stay valid until it expires naturally, and there should be no issue entering Australia on a UK passport with visa sticker, even after formally being granted citizenship.

I had read somewhere else however that once citizenship is formally granted, the visa becomes inoperative.

I need to get a handle on this as I will probably have some extended overseas business trips coming up in the near future.

Cheers.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:09 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship and the visa

Originally Posted by Trevglas
I have just had my citizenship interview on the Gold Coast, and was told it was approved there and then (which was a bit of a surprise), and that I should expect the confirmation letter in the next few days. I was also told there is currently a 2-3 month wait for the ceremony here.

One question I have here is when does the PR visa in my UK passport stop being valid?

The guy at DIMIA who did my interview said it will stay valid until it expires naturally, and there should be no issue entering Australia on a UK passport with visa sticker, even after formally being granted citizenship.

I had read somewhere else however that once citizenship is formally granted, the visa becomes inoperative.

I need to get a handle on this as I will probably have some extended overseas business trips coming up in the near future.

Cheers.
I think the visa becomes invalid when you become a citizen (Aus citizens can't have visas for Australia - it doesn't make sense).

I have heard of people who have arrived on a UK passport and a citizenship certifcate, but they got a lot of hassle from immigration folks at the airport (and told not to do it again).

Best thing is to get your Aus passport sorted asap.

Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Trev just copied this off the citizenship site:

7. I have just become an Australian citizen. Is my re-entry visa still valid?

No. All previously held visas expire upon the grant of Australian citizenship. As an Australian citizen you have the unrestricted right to stay in Australia and travel freely in and out of the country.

As an Australian citizen, you should use an Australian passport to pass through Immigration/Customs clearance on leaving and returning to Australia.
8. I have just become an Australian citizen. Why should I use my Australian passport to leave and re-enter Australia?

Only Australian citizens have an unrestricted right to travel freely in and out of the country. All other people must have an authority, in the form of a visa, to enter and stay in Australia. Any Australian visa you had in your passport ceased when you became an Australian citizen.

An Australian passport is the only definitive evidence that proves the traveller is an Australian citizen. Without an Australian passport delays may be experienced while the traveller's Australian citizenship is verified. Delays may occur when clearing Immigration/Customs in and out of Australia and at airline check-in when returning to Australia from overseas.
9. My child is an Australian citizen. Can he or she travel on my foreign passport or their own foreign passport?

An Australian citizen under the 18 years of age may be issued with an Australian Declaratory visa (ADV) in either their own foreign passport of in one of their parents' passports. ADVs are administrative documents valid for 5 years from the date of grant.

Taken from here: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/faq.htm
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:17 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
As an Australian citizen, you should use an Australian passport to pass through Immigration/Customs clearance on leaving and returning to Australia.
Doesn't that mean that you then have to use your Australian passport on arrival in the UK (or wherever) too? So that means you can't avoid the non-resident queues in both countries as has been suggested on here before.

Jane
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:46 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Doesn't that mean that you then have to use your Australian passport on arrival in the UK (or wherever) too? So that means you can't avoid the non-resident queues in both countries as has been suggested on here before.

Jane
nope - you can leave one country on one passport and enter the next country on a different passport

before the UK joined the EU, we had Irish & UK passports. We used the Irish passport to enter the EU and the UK passports to enter the UK.

Saying that though, when we took package trips from the UK to Spain where everyone else on the plane landing at gatwick was UK, we used our Irish passports as the queues were shorter!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:57 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
nope - you can leave one country on one passport and enter the next country on a different passport

before the UK joined the EU, we had Irish & UK passports. We used the Irish passport to enter the EU and the UK passports to enter the UK.

Saying that though, when we took package trips from the UK to Spain where everyone else on the plane landing at gatwick was UK, we used our Irish passports as the queues were shorter!
So which passport number do you give to the airline? Why do they need it if you can leave on one passport and enter on another? Will your passports be linked on the immigration computer systems? If not, how do they keep track of who's where?

I'm not planning on getting citizenship any time soon but my boys are, so this could get even more confusing.

Jane
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:09 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

So which passport number do you give to the airline? Why do they need it if you can leave on one passport and enter on another? Will your passports be linked on the immigration computer systems? If not, how do they keep track of who's where?

I'm not planning on getting citizenship any time soon but my boys are, so this could get even more confusing.

Jane
if you leave Aus, leve on an Aus passport and tell the airlines the Aus passport number. if you hassles about visas at the check in just show them your UK passport, they will understand.
then just enter the UK on the UK passport. when you leave the UK show the check-in airline your Aus passport so they know they dont have to repatriate you back to the UK at their cost, leave the UK with your UK passport, and on arrival in Aus, enter Aus with your Aus passport.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:10 pm
womble

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
if you leave Aus, leve on an Aus passport and tell the airlines the Aus passport number. if you hassles about visas at the check in just show them your UK passport, they will understand.
then just enter the UK on the UK passport. when you leave the UK show the check-in airline your Aus passport so they know they dont have to repatriate you back to the UK at their cost, leave the UK with your UK passport, and on arrival in Aus, enter Aus with your Aus passport.
by the way - if your boys are under 18 it would really be a lot easier if you all had the same passport.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any particular reason why you don't want citizenship?

How old are your boys (are they aged 16 or over)?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Trev just copied this off the citizenship site:

7. I have just become an Australian citizen. Is my re-entry visa still valid?

No. All previously held visas expire upon the grant of Australian citizenship. As an Australian citizen you have the unrestricted right to stay in Australia and travel freely in and out of the country.

8. I have just become an Australian citizen. Why should I use my Australian passport to leave and re-enter Australia?

Only Australian citizens have an unrestricted right to travel freely in and out of the country. All other people must have an authority, in the form of a visa, to enter and stay in Australia. Any Australian visa you had in your passport ceased when you became an Australian citizen.

An Australian passport is the only definitive evidence that proves the traveller is an Australian citizen. Without an Australian passport delays may be experienced while the traveller's Australian citizenship is verified. Delays may occur when clearing Immigration/Customs in and out of Australia and at airline check-in when returning to Australia from overseas.
9. My child is an Australian citizen. Can he or she travel on my foreign passport or their own foreign passport?

An Australian citizen under the 18 years of age may be issued with an Australian Declaratory visa (ADV) in either their own foreign passport of in one of their parents' passports. ADVs are administrative documents valid for 5 years from the date of grant.

Taken from here: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/faq.htm
Thanks for that, I thought I had seen that somewhere. Typical DIMIA, ask their front line staff a question and they tell you the completely wrong thing.

OK, so when exactly does the visa become inoperative?

I take it this is when you get issued with the citizenship certificate, as without it, you cannot apply for an AU passport.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 12:06 am
Born to be ignored

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is there any particular reason why you don't want citizenship?

How old are your boys (are they aged 16 or over)?
12 and 41.

I know it would be easier if we were all on the same passport but I don't feel Australian, and until I do, I won't be getting citizenship.

Jane
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:18 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
OK, so when exactly does the visa become inoperative?
When you actually become a citizen (i.e. at the ceremony).