Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Tests

Citizenship Tests

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:22 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Default Citizenship Tests

I just got off the phone to a guy from the Immigration Dept. He stated that a citizenship test consisting of 20 multi choice questions (out of a possible 60) is to be approved by the senate on10/11Sep. If successful, tests will be introduced by 17Sep. They are currently not taking bookings for interviews past 14Sep pending the outcome. They will also be increasing the fee from $120 to $240. My timing is crap as I wanted to book interview for 15Oct.....typical.

There is always the possibility of a delay as they need to get the online test and advertising set up........fingers crossed.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Citizenship Tests

Yup, this is annoying. Actually I was a bit frustrated with the Immigration folks on the phone this week - I called twice only to speak to two people who seemed to have difficulty in communicating in English with me (honestly!). I felt like I wasn't getting the 'true' story (or much sense) so I called back a third time and fortunately got a very nice Aussie lass who gave us a cancelled appointment this Friday - so I'm made up. Saved us a heap of money and we don't have to take the test Now she reckoned, that definitely things were changing on September 17th - said they were geared up for it and ready to go....
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:12 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Just bumping this in case anyone thinking of applying missed it.......
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plug
I just got off the phone to a guy from the Immigration Dept. He stated that a citizenship test consisting of 20 multi choice questions (out of a possible 60) is to be approved by the senate on10/11Sep. If successful, tests will be introduced by 17Sep. They are currently not taking bookings for interviews past 14Sep pending the outcome. They will also be increasing the fee from $120 to $240. My timing is crap as I wanted to book interview for 15Oct.....typical.

There is always the possibility of a delay as they need to get the online test and advertising set up........fingers crossed.
It was irresponsible and unprofessional for "someone from immigration" to make these comments.

Firstly, it is totally unacceptable for public servants to say that a Bill "will be passed" by the Senate. That, quite frankly, is the Senate's responsibility, not theirs. They have absolutely no right to preempt the deliberations of the Senate of Australia.

Secondly, once the Bill is passed by the Senate it may need to return to the House (if any amendments are made) and then go to the Governor-General after that for Royal Assent. Royal Assent can take up to 10 days. So even if the Senate passes the legislation on the 10/11 September without amendments, there is no guarantee of Royal Assent by the 17th.

And then the Minister must make a Commencement Order to bring the provisions of the Act into force. It would be very unusual for this to happen immediately.

As for the fee, that is set by Regulation and has nothing to do with the citizenship testing legislation.

And finally, they cannot stop you applying for citizenship now if you meet the residence requirement (do you?). Even if they have some kind of backlog for interviews.

I would suggest you call again and if you come across this kind of ignorance again, then politely ask to speak to a supervisor. And if they put the phone down, get straight onto your federal Member of Parliament as this is something that the Minister would need to be made aware of.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 23rd 2007 at 2:13 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:33 am
Senior Stella Member

Wow, thanks JAJ. I'm eligible to apply for citizenship on 15Oct as that will be our 2 anniversary. I was trying to get an interview for that specific date. I must say I was surprised at the detail provided by the immigration agent, he was very helpful but as you say should probably not be trying to second guess the decision, it was quite difficult to get off the phone to be honest, having waited 45 minutes to get through .

I'll try again but I'm sure they will not take bookings past mid September.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you can't actually apply until the date. Sure it's not possibly to book for the 15th. If you leave it until then, you can normally get seen quiet quickly, it's the waiting for the ceremony that takes the time.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Told me too that they were not booking interviews after 15th September....
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:13 pm
Senior Stella Member

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think that you can't actually apply until the date. Sure it's not possibly to book for the 15th. If you leave it until then, you can normally get seen quiet quickly, it's the waiting for the ceremony that takes the time.
Hi Moneypen,

I thought the same thing, but a guy I work with just got his appointment booked on his 2nd anniversary, and will just take the application form and all the gubbins (and family) to the interview.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Look forward to hearing what happens. My two years isn't up until November so I guess it will all be crystal clear then.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:14 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I booked about 4 weeks before our anniversary and the interview was about a week after the anniversary. There may be a date before which you cannot book.

The other thing is that we didn't have to send in the form. The lady just said to bring everything along to the interview. Don't know if this is normal practice.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:52 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Thank God we got our interview for the 7th of Sept ! Didn't know about the fee rise.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

We had our interview in Brisbane this morning. Took all of our forms with us - was easy! Our anniversary was last Monday. She asked us if we wanted to become citizens quickly by attending the 'Sausage factory' (her words not mine) ceremony in Brisbane or if we wanted to wait and do it properly with the Redlandshire Council. We're waiting cos we're not in a hurry. She also said that everything changed September 17th....
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...066928766.html
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6964471.stm
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that this test will replace the standard "citizenship interview".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.