Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship test!!!

Citizenship test!!!

Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:25 am
Ready to go home!!!

Ginger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant future
Default Citizenship test!!!

My husband and I have got out citizenship tests next week (only phoned up today!!). We were told to bring all our supporting docs with us and she said that we could either bring our own photo or they will take one whilst we are there. We have 2 boys and I forgot to ask whether or not, we have to bring photos of them with us (she just said their birth cert.)

Does anyone know if we have to bring a photo of them certified on the back or do I have to provide it at a later date. I am guessing that if I have to bring my docs with me, then I don't have to re-provide them when I submit my application. Is this right?

Thanks
Emma
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship test!!!

Originally Posted by Ginger1002
My husband and I have got out citizenship tests next week (only phoned up today!!). We were told to bring all our supporting docs with us and she said that we could either bring our own photo or they will take one whilst we are there. We have 2 boys and I forgot to ask whether or not, we have to bring photos of them with us (she just said their birth cert.)

Does anyone know if we have to bring a photo of them certified on the back or do I have to provide it at a later date. I am guessing that if I have to bring my docs with me, then I don't have to re-provide them when I submit my application. Is this right?

Thanks
Emma
They want photos for the test and these are the photos they will take on the day. Your children won't need these photos as they are obviously not doing the test. If you put your application in after (hopefully) passing, you will need certified photos for your application so you need to take these as well. Presumably you are doing the test up at Southport. They took all my stuff and I got the confirmation of passing and being accepted for citizenship about a week later. Nothing else needed to be supplied.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:53 am
Ready to go home!!!

Ginger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant future

Thanks Moneypen. Another quick question. If I take all of my docs, certified photos of all of us, does that person who certifies the photos have to fill out a section on the application form?

Emma
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moneypen. Another quick question. If I take all of my docs, certified photos of all of us, does that person who certifies the photos have to fill out a section on the application form?

Emma
Yes. It's similar to the section in the UK passport form for the certifier. If you don't think you know anyone who qualifies who would have known you for 12 months, you can go, with all your documentation, plus your passports and driving licence to a JP and they will certify. Obviously they've not known you but they are allowed to do this from passport and birth certificate verification.

Get it all done beforehand, it's so much quicker.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:22 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

We did our citizenship test last week. We were worried about getting the photos endorsed as we didn't know anyone who qualified. BUT the immigration dept said it didn't matter as they took a photograph of us as part of the registration process and so no further endorsement was needed.

As they said, "you're sat in front of us, with passport and birth certificate and we've just taken a photo of you, no further identification is needed".

We put the application in there and then. If we had waited and done the application by post then the endorsement would have been needed. We didn't need UK police checks either.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
We did our citizenship test last week. We were worried about getting the photos endorsed as we didn't know anyone who qualified. BUT the immigration dept said it didn't matter as they took a photograph of us as part of the registration process and so no further endorsement was needed.

As they said, "you're sat in front of us, with passport and birth certificate and we've just taken a photo of you, no further identification is needed".

We put the application in there and then. If we had waited and done the application by post then the endorsement would have been needed. We didn't need UK police checks either.
Same thing happened to me although I think it might be a different story for the kids if they are not present when the app is submitted.

Police checks may be required though depending on how much time you've spent in the UK. They told me I was 4 days short of requiring a UK police check which was news to me as I've spent about 3 weeks there since becoming a PR.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by bcworld
Same thing happened to me although I think it might be a different story for the kids if they are not present when the app is submitted.

Police checks may be required though depending on how much time you've spent in the UK. They told me I was 4 days short of requiring a UK police check which was news to me as I've spent about 3 weeks there since becoming a PR.
So did you move over immediately after getting your visa in the passport? That's what they measure it on, not on when you finally moved over.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:53 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
So did you move over immediately after getting your visa in the passport? That's what they measure it on, not on when you finally moved over.
I realise you're not asking me this question but here's my twopenn'orth regarding our situation:

We got our visas in July 05 and moved over in Sept 06 so I thought that that was more than 12 months and would need a police check.

BUT we validated in Nov 05 and became resident immediately (we have PR) so the 15 months became one period of 5 months and one of 10 months. Neither over 12 months so no check needed.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I realise you're not asking me this question but here's my twopenn'orth regarding our situation:

We got our visas in July 05 and moved over in Sept 06 so I thought that that was more than 12 months and would need a police check.

BUT we validated in Nov 05 and became resident immediately (we have PR) so the 15 months became one period of 5 months and one of 10 months. Neither over 12 months so no check needed.
Sorry, you're right. It's after validation.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice

do they take your document, or when you leave the test centre do you keep all the passport, birth cert, etc. and is it advisable to take children on the day, or just there birth certificate, thanks Paul
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
My provisonal partner visa was granted offshore in Apr 05 and I entered in Sep 05. Between then and the date of application I spent a total of 3 weeks outside Australia. But, she insisted that I had 361 days of absence....4 more and I would've needed a UK police check. However its complicated by the fact that that wasn't my first visa...I previously held a WHV and that made up some of my 4 year residence requirement. Never at any time since it was granted was I out of Aus for more than 12 months in one go. But I certainly was outside Aus more than 12 months total. Confused? I know I am!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:52 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

we did ours today and passed 95% for me and 100% for Debra

as you said we didnt need endorsed piccies for us as they took them at the immigration centre, they do however need endorsements/ID for any children under 16 who are on your application, we took our daughter with us but they still want certified piccies info etc as per page 4 of your 1300t form
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1300t.pdf

they did all the other paperwork whilst we were there and we just have to pop back tommorrow and hand in page 4 with the ID stuff for our daughter

regards steve
who will be in the woodchoppers tonight if anyone fancies beer
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:21 am
Ready to go home!!!

So have I got this right!!!!

I take all of my original docs with me to take the test. Do I also need to supply certified copies of said docs for my application or are the originals sufficient?

I hand in all my docs plus application form to the desk along with certifed photos of my 2 kids (no need for us) and their full birth cert.

They submit application and I don't need to do anything else.....

Is that right???

Emma
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:35 am
Confused member

So have I got this right!!!!

I take all of my original docs with me to take the test. Do I also need to supply certified copies of said docs for my application or are the originals sufficient?

I hand in all my docs plus application form to the desk along with certifed photos of my 2 kids (no need for us) and their full birth cert.

They submit application and I don't need to do anything else.....

Is that right???

Emma

Your originals will be scanned and do not need them to be certified if you do your application there and then. You should download the application forms and fill as much in as possible beforehand.

We applied last Thursday at 3pm. Our citizenship approval letters arrived this morning, dated last Thursday, so it's pretty quick (this is Perth so may not be the same where you are).

All we need now is a date for the ceremony which we're told will be Australia Day but this has to be confirmed.

Nearly there!