Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Question??

Citizenship Question??

Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Question??

We have submitted the papers and the interview is booked for the 11th November. How long after this do you become citizens?? Has anybody ever been turned down that was eligible?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:28 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship Question??

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
We have submitted the papers and the interview is booked for the 11th November. How long after this do you become citizens?? Has anybody ever been turned down that was eligible?
If you're okay at the interview, then it's about 3 months after that to do the Ceremony.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:29 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what the interview entails? What sort of things they ask?

Paul.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:16 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

having had mine today i can tell you what was in mine. i handed my application form in at time of interview (you can post it, or do it on-line, but they take longer).

anyway, my applciation form was checked over. i was asked the questions about my character (the ones on the form were asked verbally) and then i was asked to say all four responsibilities, and give three of the rights. then they took my money by credit card, photocopied my documents, then i was told i would be approved, get my letter confirming within 2 weeks, and the next ceremony is australia day.

woohoo! so just 113 days to wait.

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.

Last edited by brisnick; Oct 4th 2005 at 4:19 am.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
having had mine today i can tell you what was in mine. i handed my application form in at time of interview (you can post it, or do it on-line, but they take longer).

anyway, my applciation form was checked over. i was asked the questions about my character (the ones on the form were asked verbally) and then i was asked to say all four responsibilities, and give three of the rights. then they took my money by credit card, photocopied my documents, then i was told i would be approved, get my letter confirming within 2 weeks, and the next ceremony is australia day.

Congrats to you!

We are on holiday for Australia day.. Do you have to attend the ceremony to become a citizen???
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:25 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Congrats to you!

We are on holiday for Australia day.. Do you have to attend the ceremony to become a citizen???
I'm afraid you do Clare but you might be asked if you want Australia day or if you prefer one of the normal ceremonies.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

can you tell me what this is

was asked to say all four responsibilities, and give three of the rights
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:31 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bussie

As an Australian citizen, you will enjoy the same rights as all other Australian citizens:

The right to vote to help elect Australia's governments;
The right to apply for any public office or to nominate for election to Parliament (subject to s44 (i) of the Australian Constitution);
The right to apply for an Australian passport and to leave and re-enter the country without a resident return visa;
The right to seek assistance from Australian diplomatic representatives while overseas;
The right to apply to enlist in the defence forces and for government jobs requiring Australian citizenship; and
The right to register your child (under 25 years of age born overseas) as an Australian citizen by descent.
With citizenship, there are also certain responsibilities expected of all Australians. You will, for example, be required to:

Obey the laws and fulfill your duties as an Australian citizen;
Enrol on the Electoral Register and vote at Federal and State/Territory elections and referenda;
Serve on a jury, if called on;
Defend Australia, should the need arise.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:00 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.
Had our interviews on September the 13th, same process as described on the thread already, took probably 15mins for both of us and seemed way to simple.
Got the letter confirming we had been aproved about a week later, then about a week ago got our letter from the local council saying our ceremony was booked for Thursday the 13th October, so from start to finish it took a month!
Pretty impressive.
Steve
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:45 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

hehe. obviously lots more people becoming citizens in perth at the moment. can't believe there isn't one for three months in brisbane to be honest!! not to worry, australia day is probably better anyway!

Originally Posted by steve99
Had our interviews on September the 13th, same process as described on the thread already, took probably 15mins for both of us and seemed way to simple.
Got the letter confirming we had been aproved about a week later, then about a week ago got our letter from the local council saying our ceremony was booked for Thursday the 13th October, so from start to finish it took a month!
Pretty impressive.
Steve
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:25 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

hehe. obviously lots more people becoming citizens in perth at the moment. can't believe there isn't one for three months in brisbane to be honest!! not to worry, australia day is probably better anyway!
Yeah I was surpised at how quick it was, especially as its not long since Citizenship day.
With all this talk of changing the policy on Citizenship eligibilty and nobody really understanding what the full implications will be I was mighty releived to get mine so quickly.
Role on next Thursday!
Steve
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:30 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

seems a bit odd that it would take so long. They do them monthly (or as needed) here in our little town. Maybe they're very busy up in Brisbane. You could always ring your local council and ask them when the next one is and see if it's any sooner.....
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to you!

Absolutely. You do not become a citizen until you attend the ceremony, and your approval can be revoked up to this point (if DIMIA discover something negative, or you wait more than 12 months).

Children under 16 included in your application do not have to attend a ceremony, but they do not become citizens until you attend your ceremony and become a citizen.

Jeremy
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bussie

You are expected to know the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship.

Form 1027i is a "must-read" for all citizenship applicants:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1027i.pdf

Jeremy