Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship: PR from 2 to 3 years needed

Citizenship: PR from 2 to 3 years needed

Old May 26th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

mattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura about
Cool Citizenship: PR from 2 to 3 years needed

Its been rumoured that the rules are being reviewed by parliment on whether a person should be in resident for 3 yrs in the last 5 (instead of 2) before applying for citizenship.

Do you think that if it does go through it will effect everyone from that date on or for new migrants entering Oz from that point onwards....?

....we are moving out in July and would like to get citizenship in 2 years if possible.

Thanks

Matt
Old May 26th 2006, 11:23 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship: PR from 2 to 3 years needed

Originally Posted by mattvicki
Its been rumoured that the rules are being reviewed by parliment on whether a person should be in resident for 3 yrs in the last 5 (instead of 2) before applying for citizenship.

Do you think that if it does go through it will effect everyone from that date on or for new migrants entering Oz from that point onwards....?

....we are moving out in July and would like to get citizenship in 2 years if possible.

Thanks

Matt
It could go any way Matt. I think the only certain thing is that 3 years will be the new qualifying period.
There was also rumour that time spent on temp visas may count too.
Old May 26th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure it will affect everyone who doesn't already have an application in for citizenship, ie even those who are already here in Oz on PR. That has been the consensus when this question has been asked before anyway.
Old May 26th 2006, 11:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are only two certainties atpresent - one is that it will become law at some point in the next year, and two - whe it does it will be all over the forum! So keep watching here and you won't miss it
Old May 26th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it's pretty irrelevant if you are happy in Australia? I would imagine the only people that desperately need it to be two years are those who want to go back to the UK the minute they have their Aussie passports. And that of course is exactly the reason why Canberra is proposing these changes.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:47 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
Surely it's pretty irrelevant if you are happy in Australia? I would imagine the only people that desperately need it to be two years are those who want to go back to the UK the minute they have their Aussie passports. And that of course is exactly the reason why Canberra is proposing these changes.
Whilst this is true for most and a fair point, a few people on the forum have had problems with jobs etc which are only available to Australian citizens for example. That and there is a sense of belonging when you are a citizen, whilst the difference may only be somantics from being a PR its still the difference from saying your Australian or not ultimately.

I think many people, myself included, want to get citizenship as soon as possible because its the final stage of intergration into this great country. As for returning to the UK - you couldnt pay me enough to swap what we have now.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Whilst this is true for most and a fair point, a few people on the forum have had problems with jobs etc which are only available to Australian citizens for example. That and there is a sense of belonging when you are a citizen, whilst the difference may only be somantics from being a PR its still the difference from saying your Australian or not ultimately.

I think many people, myself included, want to get citizenship as soon as possible because its the final stage of intergration into this great country. As for returning to the UK - you couldnt pay me enough to swap what we have now.
Yes Centurion, I take your point here. I hadn't really considered htat some people may actually just want to become Australian. This is the problem when you are so cynical...............
Old May 26th 2006, 1:12 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it's pretty irrelevant if you are happy in Australia?
No. If you are hoping to undertake a course of studies in Australia it can make a hell of a difference financially having citizenship or not having it. The extra year will be a killer for some.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:00 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

...and imagine how it feels when you have put your heart and soul into a project like cyclone recovery, only to hear the man in charge say "We would like to thank all the Australians here today........" Its a small thing, but it can feel like a slap in the face......
Old May 26th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I'm not just saying this because it looks like I'll be going on a 457 visa, but I do think that you should be able to claim citizenship after spending four years on a 457 (or other temporary visa).
I reckon two years if you're PR, or four years if you're temp.
It seems unfair that you can give four years of your life to Australia and then not be allowed to stay
Just my opinion
Old May 27th 2006, 7:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
...and imagine how it feels when you have put your heart and soul into a project like cyclone recovery, only to hear the man in charge say "We would like to thank all the Australians here today........" Its a small thing, but it can feel like a slap in the face......
Are you sure you didn't take it out of context?
Old May 27th 2006, 7:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
I'm not just saying this because it looks like I'll be going on a 457 visa, but I do think that you should be able to claim citizenship after spending four years on a 457 (or other temporary visa).
It seems unfair that you can give four years of your life to Australia and then not be allowed to stay
Nobody is forced to come to Australia on a 457 visa!

If this is important, the solution is to make sure you have a permanent visa before you leave, if this is possible.

Most countries insist that you must be a PR before you can be naturalised as a citizen.
Old May 27th 2006, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Just my opinion
Can you do this in other countries?
Old May 28th 2006, 11:43 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you sure you didn't take it out of context?
No, he was speaking at a government department launch, and that was his actual statement, going on to say how much the local people had appreciated the "Australian help". Just got on my wick a bit thats all!!

Nice to see you posting again BTW Jeremy

Last edited by Pollyana; May 28th 2006 at 11:48 am.
Old May 28th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

What about those Brits who don't want to go back to the UK but do want to see other parts of the world before coming back to Australia?

It's not always so black and white - "well if you want to leave then you must not like Australia enough for us to give you citizenship"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.