Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship - new police checks needed?

Wikiposts

Citizenship - new police checks needed?

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - new police checks needed?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It should say something like Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Form. I could only find the Herts one by going through their full site list. Didn't seem to be mentioned on any normal page. If you can't find it, I can send you the link for the Herts one. They are all the same, just as long as you have the Surrey address to send it to.
I've got it. Thanks for that. The form actually states that it is not a 'police clearance certificate' but I guess it is.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:29 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I had my Citizenship Interview on 3 September (pre test) and apparently my name came up with criminal convictions in three Australian states!

The interviewer advised they only search by name, not date of birth, so its likely to be someone else (I know it is as I've not even got motoring offence) but they now have to get Oz police checks to confirm I'm all legal and above board.

Its now almost two months on and still no news on the police checks. This is almost as bad as the immigration application process...:curse:
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
I had my Citizenship Interview on 3 September (pre test) and apparently my name came up with criminal convictions in three Australian states!

The interviewer advised they only search by name, not date of birth, so its likely to be someone else (I know it is as I've not even got motoring offence) but they now have to get Oz police checks to confirm I'm all legal and above board.

Its now almost two months on and still no news on the police checks. This is almost as bad as the immigration application process.
According to DIAC standards, 90% of applications are decided within 90 days of lodgment. Once you get to this timescale, you're entitled to some kind of explanation and if they don't give it to you, you can ask your federal MP (post election) to write to the Minister and find out what is going on.

They have a fairly good system of checking Australian police records. It should not take so long.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
According to DIAC standards, 90% of applications are decided within 90 days of lodgment. Once you get to this timescale, you're entitled to some kind of explanation and if they don't give it to you, you can ask your federal MP (post election) to write to the Minister and find out what is going on.

They have a fairly good system of checking Australian police records. It should not take so long.
JAJ - would you mind having a quick look at my post - at the bottom of page 1? Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I actually can't access this - it seems the website is not working and I need specific info on the folowing:

I lived in one country for 12 months between the granting of PR and arrival in Australia and another for 6 months.

Does this mean that I need both police clearances or just the one for 12 months?
It appears that form 1027i has been withdrawn.

You need both:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...-character.htm
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:59 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ

Thanks JAJ - we'll see how we go over the next month.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It appears that form 1027i has been withdrawn.

You need both:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...-character.htm
Thanks. Nightmare.

Have you ever tried getting anything from a SE Asian country apart from Singapore. It takes long enough in person.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Thanks. Nightmare.

Have you ever tried getting anything from a SE Asian country apart from Singapore. It takes long enough in person.
You need to follow the instructions on form 47P for that particular country. If the country does not respond (many countries will not issue anything to non-citizens living elsewhere, despite what form 47P says) then you will need to keep evidence of the steps you have taken and describe this this in a Statutory Declaration.

All explained in Chapter 10 of the Australian Citizenship Instructions:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-and-policy/policy.htm

If DIAC take an inordinate amount of time to decide your application as a result, you'll need to get your federal MP to intervene with the Minister.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to follow the instructions on form 47P for that particular country. If the country does not respond (many countries will not issue anything to non-citizens living elsewhere, despite what form 47P says) then you will need to keep evidence of the steps you have taken and describe this this in a Statutory Declaration.

All explained in Chapter 10 of the Australian Citizenship Instructions:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-and-policy/policy.htm

If DIAC take an inordinate amount of time to decide your application as a result, you'll need to get your federal MP to intervene with the Minister.
Thanks JAJ. I'll try my best - good advice about keeping evidence. I had visions of me flying over there to do it in person. (and even then they'd say come back in two weeks-lah)