Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship - new police checks needed?

Citizenship - new police checks needed?

Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Citizenship - new police checks needed?

I've just put in my application for citizenship and was dumbfounded to find I have to do my police checks all over again because I was in the UK for more than 12 months between the grant of my visa and finally moving over here. I haven't heard of other people having to do this so I rang to check. They said I did have to do it again. I've now got to fill in more forms, send certified copies of birth certificate etc and a 10 pound sterling cheque on a UK bank account. Luckily we still have an account but how difficult will that be for a lot of people. Very frustrated:curse: Has anyone else had to do all this? I've got to take the police certificate along to the interview apparently.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship - new police checks needed?

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
I've just put in my application for citizenship and was dumbfounded to find I have to do my police checks all over again because I was in the UK for more than 12 months between the grant of my visa and finally moving over here. I haven't heard of other people having to do this so I rang to check. They said I did have to do it again. I've now got to fill in more forms, send certified copies of birth certificate etc and a 10 pound sterling cheque on a UK bank account. Luckily we still have an account but how difficult will that be for a lot of people. Very frustrated:curse: Has anyone else had to do all this? I've got to take the police certificate along to the interview apparently.
I didn't have to do it, but I knew it was a requirement.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This requirement has been in place for almost 2 years. If you didn't have a bank account you would be able to buy a sterling draft from an Australian bank.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
This requirement has been in place for almost 2 years. If you didn't have a bank account you would be able to buy a sterling draft from an Australian bank.

JAJ

If you are allready a PR and only go back to the UK for a 2 week hoilday and have never been out side Australia any other time you dont have to do another police check just for a short trip back to the UK?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomref
JAJ

If you are allready a PR and only go back to the UK for a 2 week hoilday and have never been out side Australia any other time you dont have to do another police check just for a short trip back to the UK?
Page 2 of form 1027i makes clear that this is not the case:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1027i.pdf
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Thanks

short hoildays ok then
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:35 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Actually I'm glad they have tightened up on this. I couldn't believe it when I went for my citizenship that they didn't want a police clearance from NZ; only an Australian federal one.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Actually I'm glad they have tightened up on this. I couldn't believe it when I went for my citizenship that they didn't want a police clearance from NZ; only an Australian federal one.
Is this police check avaliable electronically - or do we have to write to the police in the UK - if so where do we get the forms? Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
Is this police check avaliable electronically - or do we have to write to the police in the UK - if so where do we get the forms? Thanks
sorry - i've got them stupid me!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Yes we had to do this too, we downloaded the application form from the website and sent with a cheque. We had to delay our citizenship interview until we had the police checks to take with us. We applied this time last year and had our ceremony in March this year.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. I haven't got round to checking what's needed. Can't apply until November but may as well sort out the UK end now.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just having to do this now. Had a look at the Surrey Police Website and it has a Data Protection Act Form. Is this the one I need to do? It's not very clear.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Just having to do this now. Had a look at the Surrey Police Website and it has a Data Protection Act Form. Is this the one I need to do? It's not very clear.
It should say something like Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Form. I could only find the Herts one by going through their full site list. Didn't seem to be mentioned on any normal page. If you can't find it, I can send you the link for the Herts one. They are all the same, just as long as you have the Surrey address to send it to.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:50 pm
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

I have a link to the Wiltshire Police Form if needed.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I actually can't access this - it seems the website is not working and I need specific info on the folowing:

I lived in one country for 12 months between the granting of PR and arrival in Australia and another for 6 months.

Does this mean that I need both police clearances or just the one for 12 months?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.