Reload this Page >

Citizenship interview - Sydney

Citizenship interview - Sydney

Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Citizenship interview - Sydney

Hi All

Just thought I'd post some useful info re:citizenship interview in sydney.

About 6 weeks ago myself and my partner submitted our citizenship application online

The next day I called up to book the interview. Very nice lady booked me an appointment for 4th April I asked her if I could book my partner's as well. She was happy to do this and booked us in on the same day and time. She told me that we could both have the interview together and not to worry.

So today, we both head off to Dimia in Sydney 26 Lee Street (A lot better than there Rocks office we were use to)

We walk up to reception and was greated by a a very nice man. He said that we could both have the interview together at 9.30am . He then gave us ONE numbered ticket and told us to wait upstairs to be called.

Being as this was the FIRST interview of the morning I would expect minimum wait time. 9:55am we where called how can an organisation be 25 min behind time when it's the first interview of the day. Anyway. We both sat down and told him what we were here for.

He asked if we were BOTH here for the citizenship interview. We said yes. He then informed us that he could only do one and that my partner would have to get another ticket and wait to be called. I questioned this fact and said that two people (call centre and bloke on reception) said we could have the interview together.

Off pops my partner downstairs again to talk to reception. Reception inform her that we could have the interview together and that he was wrong. The supervisor was called and confirm that it was ok. However that didn't put the person doing the interview right. So my partner took a number and waited. She didn't get seen until 10:45am.

So my advice is if you intend to have your citizenship interview in sydney and more than one person is applying. Request a number for each person, this will save you a long wait.

The interview lasted all of 5 min. Checked the application, photocopied the passport and birth cert. Made some small talk. Answer the responsibilities (after being prompt on all of them) and out I walked with the knowledge that I would expect a letter confirming my Citizenship in 2 or 3 weeks and to expect a ceremoney anytime in the next 6 months.

Anybody here going for citizenship in City of Sydney, in the next 6 months. I may see you there.

KS
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:14 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Citizenship interview - Sydney

Originally Posted by shorrock
Anybody here going for citizenship in City of Sydney, in the next 6 months. I may see you there.

KS
Thanks for the tip.
We're about to hit submit on our application so this has come at a good time.
Any more tips? Did you wear suit for the interview? How formal is it?
Ta.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gedge
Thanks for the tip.
Ta.
I did wear a suit, but thats because I had work after. In the waiting room for citizenship, which is seperate to the rif raf, had about 10 people in it when we got there.

Except for me, nobody else was wearing a suit or even business casual. All had jeans, t-shirts/shirts.

As long as you don't look like a bum, you should be ok.

I would also call up once you submit your app and book an appointment and get the first one in the morning. Friend had his mid day and had a very long wait.

Once I sat down and started the interview, it was over in 5 min very painless.

I also forgot my responsibilities and the other things you are supposed to know. He prompted me a little.

KS
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:48 am

I also forgot my responsibilities and the other things you are supposed to know. He prompted me a little.

KS
I've not even thought that far yet.
What responsibilities do you have to have to be an aussie? lol
"I promise to be a bludger, eat vegemite on toast and barrack the pommies at every opportunity."
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The interview lasted all of 5 min. Checked the application, photocopied the passport and birth cert. Made some small talk. Answer the responsibilities (after being prompt on all of them) and out I walked with the knowledge that I would expect a letter confirming my Citizenship in 2 or 3 weeks and to expect a ceremoney anytime in the next 6 months.
According to DIMA's own policies you should have a ceremony before then:

"It is desirable that public citizenship ceremonies be held at regular intervals. The cooperation of all local government authorities should be sought in order to avoid undue delays in conferring citizenship on candidates. It is preferred that all persons be conferred within 3 months of approval. The Australian Citizenship Ceremonies Code asks local government authorities to arrange ceremonies "at least every two to three months, regardless of the number of candidates available to attend, and more frequently if nesessary".

There is no excuse for a council having a 6 month waiting list.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

"It is desirable that public citizenship ceremonies be held at regular intervals. The cooperation of all local government authorities should be sought in order to avoid undue delays in conferring citizenship on candidates. It is preferred that all persons be conferred within 3 months of approval. The Australian Citizenship Ceremonies Code asks local government authorities to arrange ceremonies "at least every two to three months, regardless of the number of candidates available to attend, and more frequently if nesessary".

Is there any performance data on different lga's?
Do you have to go to the lga for where you live?
TIA
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ

"It is desirable that public citizenship ceremonies be held at regular intervals.

Ya you would think so, but given that City of Sydney ONLY had 16 ppl at the Australia day one. I don't think to many ppl apply in the city
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Is there any performance data on different lga's?
Do you have to go to the lga for where you live?
TIA
I think you can change it, if you want to be inducted with another person living in that lga.

KS
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ya you would think so, but given that City of Sydney ONLY had 16 ppl at the Australia day one. I don't think to many ppl apply in the city
It's stated very clearly that councils are expected to organise a ceremony at least every 2-3 months even if there are few applicants. And more frequently than that if they have a larger number.

Wait for your approval letter first, nothing can happen until then, then if you haven't had a ceremony invite within a month of that, start ringing the council/your local councillors/DIMA etc.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wait for your approval letter first, nothing can happen until then, then if you haven't had a ceremony invite within a month of that, start ringing the council/your local councillors/DIMA etc.
Thanks, I was a little disapointed when he said upto 6 months. Will follow up with council. I have also emailed them asking when the next one is.

My other grip about the citizenship application, was the fact they should also throw in a AUS passport.

Once I have my bit of paper I then have to apply for a passport. I have to give all the same information again, including a form with my identity verified by somebody. It would be nice for Dimia on the app to have a tick box to also get the passport at the same time.

Save time and effort.

KS
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:52 am

Thanks, I was a little disapointed when he said upto 6 months. Will follow up with council. I have also emailed them asking when the next one is.

My other grip about the citizenship application, was the fact they should also throw in a AUS passport.

Once I have my bit of paper I then have to apply for a passport. I have to give all the same information again, including a form with my identity verified by somebody. It would be nice for Dimia on the app to have a tick box to also get the passport at the same time.

Save time and effort.

KS
Doesn't happen in the UK though.
You can be a citizen without needing a passport.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:53 am
JAJ
Retired

The passport application process is different. It doesn't ask for the "same information again". http://www.passports.gov.au has details.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
The passport application process is different. It doesn't ask for the "same information again". http://www.passports.gov.au has details.
But it would be nice and easy to kill two birds with one stone. I still have to get my identity verified, pay some more cash, hand over a form at the post office and get it checked

Agree (with previous poster) you can be a citizen without a passport. But I think that new Citizen's will be active travellers than true blue ozzies. Therefore needing a passport.

May be this is just me. Also the passport means more to me than a certificate. It has a picture of me on it

KS
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Thanks for the tip.
We're about to hit submit on our application so this has come at a good time.
Ta.
Sorry - this just made me smile. The reason being we have recently had our citizenship interview. It was held at our local post office counter next to everyone else buying their stamps. We no longer have an immigration department here in Newcastle so the post master did ours and we were there for over an hour as he went through each of our forms checking them. He was very pleasant and shook our hands and then we were on our way so I guess in answer to your question then no - it is not very formal at all.

We haven't heard back yet but we are hoping to wait until the next Australia Day ceremony down by the lake so we are in no hurry.

Julie
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:11 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Citizenship interview - Sydney

Hi All

Just thought I'd post some useful info re:citizenship interview in sydney.

About 6 weeks ago myself and my partner submitted our citizenship application online

The next day I called up to book the interview. Very nice lady booked me an appointment for 4th April I asked her if I could book my partner's as well. She was happy to do this and booked us in on the same day and time. She told me that we could both have the interview together and not to worry.

So today, we both head off to Dimia in Sydney 26 Lee Street (A lot better than there Rocks office we were use to)

We walk up to reception and was greated by a a very nice man. He said that we could both have the interview together at 9.30am . He then gave us ONE numbered ticket and told us to wait upstairs to be called.

Being as this was the FIRST interview of the morning I would expect minimum wait time. 9:55am we where called how can an organisation be 25 min behind time when it's the first interview of the day. Anyway. We both sat down and told him what we were here for.

He asked if we were BOTH here for the citizenship interview. We said yes. He then informed us that he could only do one and that my partner would have to get another ticket and wait to be called. I questioned this fact and said that two people (call centre and bloke on reception) said we could have the interview together.

Off pops my partner downstairs again to talk to reception. Reception inform her that we could have the interview together and that he was wrong. The supervisor was called and confirm that it was ok. However that didn't put the person doing the interview right. So my partner took a number and waited. She didn't get seen until 10:45am.

So my advice is if you intend to have your citizenship interview in sydney and more than one person is applying. Request a number for each person, this will save you a long wait.

KS
Hi,

Canterbury City Council told me over phone that they hold ceremonies every month.But I am not sure how long it may take my application after confirmation to to citizenship ceremony(I have no idea of queue there).Moreover , can I attend the ceremony with my wife who is on provisional spouse visa (sub class:309).She is not an applicant for Australian
Citizenship at the moment.
Thanks,

Last edited by smurtaza; Apr 4th 2006 at 5:18 pm. Reason: addition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.