Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Ceremony - how long invite?

Citizenship Ceremony - how long invite?

Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default Citizenship Ceremony - how long invite?

Hi,

My wife and I were approved for Aus citizenship on the 2nd and 15th June with our applications linked. However, we haven't received the invitation to the ceremony yet.

How long does it normally take between receiving the 'congrat on approval letter' to getting the invite to the ceremony? We are in Brisbane city.

I am aware that there is an event on citizenship day (16th Sep). I'm hoping that we will be invited to that one. Anybody done this in Brissie? What was the experience like?

Thanks!
Jason
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Citizenship Ceremony - how long invite?

Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us havent got that far yet, so havent got a clue. sorry
Jo
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:48 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
why not give your local council a ring and mention you've been approved and ask the likelihood of getting into the 16th September ceremony. It might speed things up a little.

Sorry.....no experience of this yet, but it's what I would probably do. We'll be applying for ours in January and hoping to get in for the Australia Day ceremony a couple of weeks later. A bit hopeful probably......
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

In Joondalup the invite comes almost exactly 2 months after you receive the acceptance letter. I rang the council to see what was happening and this is what they told me.

Sure enough, 2 months after the letter the council wrote to us with the date of the ceremony - tomorrow!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, I followed the advice to ring the council and they confirmed that it is normally quite a while 6-10 weeks on average. The certificates have to be printed in Canberra and then shipped to your local council. They only invite you after they receive the certificate and have a vacancy.

Congrats and good luck for tomorrow Renth!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:36 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
Thanks guys, I followed the advice to ring the council and they confirmed that it is normally quite a while 6-10 weeks on average. The certificates have to be printed in Canberra and then shipped to your local council. They only invite you after they receive the certificate and have a vacancy.

Congrats and good luck for tomorrow Renth!

:scared: 6-10 weeks. Guess there's no hope for Australia Day celebs then....oh well. Thanks for posting your follow up.