Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Approved

Citizenship Approved

Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Citizenship Approved

We have just been approved for citizenship

We have been told that we need an Australian passport to enter Australia... this may seem strange but can we use it in the UK??

My kids UK ones have expired and I am hoping that I don't have to buy Australian and UK ones!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: Citizenship Approved

Originally Posted by woodyinoz

We have been told that we need an Australian passport to enter Australia... this may seem strange but can we use it in the UK??

My kids UK ones have expired and I am hoping that I don't have to buy Australian and UK ones!

Congratulations!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:16 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done.

You will need both. Leave here on an Aus one and enter Britain on a British one otherwise you will need a visa!!!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the citizenship.
As far as I am aware the Australian passprts are OK it just depends on which queue you want to stand in at immigration in the UK. Would like to know for sure though as we would let ours lapse as soon as we get the Australian ones as well. The Uk ones are just an expense that I would rather do with out (still got a while to go yet though).
Nicky
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:34 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Citizenship Approved

Well done! Join the club. We are waiting to hear when our ceromony will be, hoping for Australia Day on the beach.

Where are you based? We may be at the same "do"! We are under Bayside Council

Louise
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Well done.

You will need both. Leave here on an Aus one and enter Britain on a British one otherwise you will need a visa!!!
I believe this to be wrong.

You only need your ozzie one. British immigration do not care which passport you use. May be a good idea to always use the same one going in as going out. Othwerwise, should they take a record, they may wonder what is happening.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:37 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz

You only need your ozzie one. British immigration do not care which passport you use. May be a good idea to always use the same one going in as going out. Othwerwise, should they take a record, they may wonder what is happening.
I don't know as I only have a British one but we were told this by Immigration in the UK as my step son has Aus, British and NZ passports.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:38 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz

I believe it to be wrong. Lots of people enter UK with British one and Oz with Oz one it stops you having to go through Immigration and queue.

Unless this has very recently been changed due to 'Terrorism Laws'???

Louise
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:44 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Congrats Woody & Devmountain. Hopefully catch up soon for a
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Congrats Woody & Devmountain. Hopefully catch up soon for a
Had one at lunch to celebrate. Went to one of the Irish Pubs. Looked very English. Grotty, dingy, foam spilling out of the seats... Awesome great and beef and guiness pie

Wish I didn't have a pint though as I fell asleep on the train home
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ljj
Well done! Join the club. We are waiting to hear when our ceromony will be, hoping for Australia Day on the beach.

Where are you based? We may be at the same "do"! We are under Bayside Council

Louise
We come under Yarra council. I hope not to have the ceremony then as I have my Mum out and it seems strange but I really don't want her watching. I can just see her tutting and shaking her head. Worse still getting her paper work together and asking us to sponsor :scared:
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:16 am
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice
Angry Re: Citizenship Approved

Congratulations!

One downside to travel to UK on Aussie passport is the grilling you get at UK customs arrival. I have just returned after a holiday there and my arrival was a nightmare as I arrived on the Friday morning of the BA strike, but that is another story, took me hours to get out of Heathrow.

The customs guy asked such questions as, are you on paid leave from your job, who are you staying with (my brother) what is HE doing here???? ffs we were born there. What does HE do for a living and also informed me that I could not work or claim any social security benefits. I found it quite upsetting and not the welcome 'home' I was expecting. The same sort of thing happened to a friend who just got back here last week.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pet
Congratulations!

One downside to travel to UK on Aussie passport is the grilling you get at UK customs arrival. I have just returned after a holiday there and my arrival was a nightmare as I arrived on the Friday morning of the BA strike, but that is another story, took me hours to get out of Heathrow.

The customs guy asked such questions as, are you on paid leave from your job, who are you staying with (my brother) what is HE doing here???? ffs we were born there. What does HE do for a living and also informed me that I could not work or claim any social security benefits. I found it quite upsetting and not the welcome 'home' I was expecting. The same sort of thing happened to a friend who just got back here last week.
A friend has the same grilling every time she goes home to the USA from Belgium it is so nice to know that you are always welcome Must say though that if it bothers you I would get your UK passoprt sorted before you go as immigration can be a nightmare at the best of times especially if you have kids in tow after a long haul flight.
Nicky
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:05 am
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice

Originally Posted by NickyP
A friend has the same grilling every time she goes home to the USA from Belgium it is so nice to know that you are always welcome Must say though that if it bothers you I would get your UK passoprt sorted before you go as immigration can be a nightmare at the best of times especially if you have kids in tow after a long haul flight.
Nicky
Hi Nicky, I've been here 24 years and only been back 3 times. Until this year my last visit was 8 years ago so it doesn't warrant me renewing my UK passport/getting re entry visas etc. Just find it irksome really born and raised there, paid my taxes etc etc.
Pauline
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pet
Hi Nicky, I've been here 24 years and only been back 3 times. Until this year my last visit was 8 years ago so it doesn't warrant me renewing my UK passport/getting re entry visas etc. Just find it irksome really born and raised there, paid my taxes etc etc.
Pauline
Hi there, Pauline I will probably leave it myself as I am not planning to go back often (can't afford it and would rather avoid long haul flights where possible), I think that the kids will be more likely to choose to have a UK passport if and when they choose to go back later in life. Glad to have left the place myself and must say that we have a while to go until we get citizenship and current passports run out. After that I would just stand in line with every other Australian visitor as I would just be that a visitor.
Some people get really upset by the immigration process though and if that is the case then they are probably better off saving themselves the stress and getting the passport.
Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.