Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship application worries

Citizenship application worries

Old May 9th 2006, 2:33 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Citizenship application worries

I'm cutting it a bit fine to get our citizenship applications processed, and could do with sharing my worries.

We (that's the wife and I) took up PR in Feb 2004, and taking in to account a 3 week vacation to the UK last year, became eligible for citizenship in March this year.
With one thing and another, it was only last week that I completed the online applications for citizenship.

I called the number today to book our interviews and was given a date of 21st June.
That date is barely a week before the OH is due our first bub, and the last scan we had put us a week early (why can't these things go to schedule?).

So here is a decision to be made...
...book the 21st and hope for the best (the OH will have the last say on that),
...or wait a suitable period after number 1 bub is with us.

The problem with the second option is the upcoming changes to the citizenship requirements, specifically requiring 3 years residency as opposed to 2. This would delay us till March 07 or later.

I've done some reading and believe that as the bill has not yet gone thru the senate, there is a chance that it's implementation may be delayed.

Also, I'm not sure whether the change is relevant in our case, as we have already applied?

What would you do in this situation?
TIA.

Last edited by gedge; May 9th 2006 at 2:49 am.
Old May 9th 2006, 2:36 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application worries

Originally Posted by gedge
I'm cutting it a bit fine to get our citizenship applications processed, and could do with sharing my worries.

We (that's the wife and I) took up PR in Feb 2004, and taking in to account a 3 week vacation to the UK last year, became eligible for citizenship in March this year.
With one thing and another, it was only last week that I completed the online applications for citizenship.

I called the number today to book our interviews and was given a date of 21st June.
That date is barely a week before the OH is due our first bub, and the last scan we had put us a week early (why can't these things go to schedule?).

So here is a decision to be made...
...book the 21st and hope for the best (the OH will have the last say on that),
...or wait a suitable period after number 1 bub is with us.

The problem with the second option is the upcoming changes to the citizenship requirements, specifically requiring 3 years residency as opposed to 2. This would delay us till March 07 or later.

I've done some reading and believe that as the bill has not yet gone thru the senate, there is a chance that it's implementation may be delayed.

Also, I'm not sure whether the change is relevant in our case, as we have already http://britishexpats.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3369812&postcount=5?

What would you do in this situation?
TIA.
Gedge

it shouldnt be a problem, as far as i was aware the new legislation wont affect you once your application has gone in. If it was me i'd be tempted to just leave the interview booked for the earliest date you can get and then change it if you have to, worse case scenario........ giving birth in the dimia office Good luck with all of it!

Lynn
Old May 9th 2006, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Gedge

it shouldnt be a problem, as far as i was aware the new legislation wont affect you once your application has gone in. If it was me i'd be tempted to just leave the interview booked for the earliest date you can get and then change it if you have to, worse case scenario........ giving birth in the dimia office Good luck with all of it!

Lynn
Thanks Lynn.
as far as i was aware the new legislation wont affect you once your application has gone in.
This is one bit that I'm not sure about. Is the date of application the governing one? I suppose the next date would be that of the interview, which they surely can't use to determine whether you are before or after the new legislation?

If the little one is born in the Dimia office, will they let us amend the application there and then?

Last edited by gedge; May 9th 2006 at 2:50 am.
Old May 9th 2006, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

...why not ask the immigration office and get it from the horse's mouth, rather than potentially from another orifice

(not directed at movetoperth BTW)... but in anticipation of some other words of wisdom :scared:
Old May 9th 2006, 2:50 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
...why not ask the immigration office and get it from the horse's mouth, rather than potentially from another orifice

(not directed at movetoperth BTW)... but in anticipation of some other words of wisdom :scared:

are you calling me a horses a**e??????

you should get a letter from the citizenship office confirming your application, then you should be fine

lynn
Old May 9th 2006, 3:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lynn.

This is one bit that I'm not sure about. Is the date of application the governing one? I suppose the next date would be that of the interview, which they surely can't use to determine whether you are before or after the new legislation?

If the little one is born in the Dimia office, will they let us amend the application there and then?
Hi Gedge. Hope my recent search was useful to you JAJ has definitely said recently that the new legislation is not down to be discussed or proposed before the end of July so it is unlikely to be law for some months yet. I am sure from what I have read (and obviously read quite a lot recently ) that once your application is in, you are "there" and will not be required to do the three years.
Old May 9th 2006, 3:42 am

I just needed to figure it all out.
Having called the citizenship number again, we're now booked in for the 21st.

If we have to cancel, it won't matter, just means that when we'll be 3 instead of two next time round.
To confirm, the date that is used in reference to the application is the date they receive it. So nothing to worry about.

Thanks all.

And yes, Moneypen, I did use your recent search. It saved me 4 minutes
Old May 9th 2006, 3:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I just needed to figure it all out.
Having called the citizenship number again, we're now booked in for the 21st.

If we have to cancel, it won't matter, just means that when we'll be 3 instead of two next time round.
To confirm, the date that is used in reference to the application is the date they receive it. So nothing to worry about.

Thanks all.

And yes, Moneypen, I did use your recent search. It saved me 4 minutes
I hope you used that time wisely
Old May 9th 2006, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I hope you used that time wisely
28 seconds to find what I'd done with the citizenship number
17 seconds to swig the cold dregs of coffee
52 seconds to get a cup of water
13 seconds to wash the bad coffee taste away
38 seconds to figure out what I was doing before
19 seconds to find I'd left the number by the water machine
64 seconds to appease the boss on a missed deadline
6 seconds to return to my desk
3 seconds to dial the number
----------------
= 4 minutes
Old May 9th 2006, 4:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

28 seconds to find what I'd done with the citizenship number
17 seconds to swig the cold dregs of coffee
52 seconds to get a cup of water
13 seconds to wash the bad coffee taste away
38 seconds to figure out what I was doing before
19 seconds to find I'd left the number by the water machine
64 seconds to appease the boss on a missed deadline
6 seconds to return to my desk
3 seconds to dial the number
----------------
= 4 minutes
You have too much time on your hands
Old May 9th 2006, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You have too much time on your hands

4 minutes too much!!!
Old May 9th 2006, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Hels
4 minutes too much!!!
Pen's already done her bit.
What could you do for me in 4 minutes?
Old May 9th 2006, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Pen's already done her bit.
What could you do for me in 4 minutes?

What I have in mind would take ALOT less than 4 mins!

But I dont fancy a lifetime afterwards in jail
Old May 9th 2006, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Hels
What I have in mind would take ALOT less than 4 mins!

But I dont fancy a lifetime afterwards in jail
Why are you so hard on me dearest Hels?
I still believe that underneath that cold hard exterior is a warm soft heart beating for me.
Old May 9th 2006, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Why are you so hard on me dearest Hels?
I still believe that underneath that cold hard exterior is a warm soft heart beating for me.

Ahhh....feel the sarcasm ooze off every word!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.