Citizenship

Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:21 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship

Is there an abridged version of the new legislation that a thicko like me can understand?

or can someone just explain it, i understand that the requirement is soon to be increased to 3 years - but when is that going to happen etc

Your humble serpant

Jon
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:27 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: Citizenship

Nothing has been decided at the moment about lengthening the time limit for citizenship and we're all waiting impatiently to know the score. So at this present time it is still 2 years, but who knows how much longer for!!!

Take a look at this and see if it helps - http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm.

Lorraine
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:38 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
Nothing has been decided at the moment about lengthening the time limit for citizenship and we're all waiting impatiently to know the score. So at this present time it is still 2 years, but who knows how much longer for!!!

Take a look at this and see if it helps - http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm.

Lorraine
Ta - i did have a squint at that earlier...

I was more after when the new legislation will come into effect and will it be retrospective or not, i.e anyone who arrived on your before 1 August 2006 the requirement will be two years, arrivals post 1 August 2006 the requirement will be 3 years etc, etc..
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

emu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wargod
Is there an abridged version of the new legislation that a thicko like me can understand?

or can someone just explain it, i understand that the requirement is soon to be increased to 3 years - but when is that going to happen etc

Your humble serpant

Jon
There was a thread about this yesterday.

As part of new anti-terrorism legislation, the residency requirement will increase to three years.

The change will imapct anyone who hasn't submitted their citizenship application by the time the law is passed. Of course, no-one knows exactly when that will be.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

My version of the summary....

1) No date is set yet but indication is it will come into effect on 26th Jan 2007

2) Original Bill proposed that all people who had not met the 2 year requirement by the time the Bill was passed into law would have to meet the 3 year criteria, plus if you had been here between 2 and 3 years but not applied for citizenship you would have to wait for 3 years. There has been a recommendation out of the first review of the Bill to amend this to mean that the new law only applied to people who gained permanent residency (and I assume validate it) after the law had passed through parliament. It is not known which (if any) of the recommendations will be incorporated into as “revised” version of the Bill.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:58 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
My version of the summary....

1) No date is set yet but indication is it will come into effect on 26th Jan 2007

2) Original Bill proposed that all people who had not met the 2 year requirement by the time the Bill was passed into law would have to meet the 3 year criteria, plus if you had been here between 2 and 3 years but not applied for citizenship you would have to wait for 3 years. There has been a recommendation out of the first review of the Bill to amend this to mean that the new law only applied to people who gained permanent residency (and I assume validate it) after the law had passed through parliament. It is not known which (if any) of the recommendations will be incorporated into as “revised” version of the Bill.
The revision sounds promising !!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

See Recommendation 6:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/legcon_ctte/citizenship/report/b01.htm[/URL]

Cheers

Paul
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:10 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
See Recommendation 6:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/legcon_ctte/citizenship/report/b01.htm[/URL]

Cheers

Paul
will do ta !
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:34 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod

Your humble serpant

Jon
Government is the only organisation that I know that makes a two or three sentence statement cover the same number of pages as War And Peace or the Encyclopedia Britanica.