Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Circular Quay Eating with Kid

Circular Quay Eating with Kid

Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of
Default Circular Quay Eating with Kid

Hi everyone,

I want to take my daughter up to see a bit of Vivid Sydney. We'll be up there at tea time so need a place to eat.

Hot chips and a fizzy drink, somewhere to sit, nothing expensive, open at around 5pm....does anyone have any specific suggestions please? (preferably not a vague "there are lots of cafes around circular quay" as I'm hoping to make a bee line for somewhere to save time)

I saw that the ferry terminal has a pop up bar and street food inspired food from 4 to 12 pm. Has anyone been? Can I take an 11 year old in there? What sort of food?

Thank you!!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Circular Quay Eating with Kid

Don't eat outside in that area, the seagulls will have taken a chip before you notice!!

There's McDonalds and Hungry Jacks at the Quay, not sure about anything else as its not the area I'd normally go to for a snack.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be getting dark so the seagulls probably won't be too much of a problem. There is a food court at the bottom of the Gateway building -blue glass one opposite the Quay - but I don't know how late it opens until.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, there really are loads of cafes - the big issue would be whether there are tables to be had at the time you arrive. For hot chips and a cola you honestly cant miss if you head for the ferry terminal/railway station. There arent too many places that you couldnt take an 11 year old, it's very touristy
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I would get take away from here - http://www.larenaissance.com.au/

The very best cafe food in Sydney in my opinion, you can get sausage rolls
(not like any roll you will ever have had!), pies and cheesy things.

The cakes are seriously stunning also and the coffee as good as it gets.

I would forget the soggy chips and head to this place for a take out If you want to eat in there is a really nice old courtyard out the back, feels like you are back in an old European city out there.

We go there once a month and I can't believe anyone who is down the rocks / circular quay and is looking for a snack make do with MacyD;s or the food hall when this place has such amazing take outs.

The cafe at the top of the new contemporary art museum has tried to copy la renaissance with their food, but they fail big time, they have the view but nothing else, avoid.

Last edited by Jon77; Jun 9th 2013 at 12:14 am.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Macca's will do for a back up but I looove the look of that renaissance cafe! Check the cakes, my 11 year old will love this and there's simple stuff for a kid too!! Worth the trip just for the cakes and we will get take away if it's busy.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77

I would forget the soggy chips and head to this place for a take out If you want to eat in there is a really nice old courtyard out the back, feels like you are back in an old European city out there.

We go there once a month and I can't believe anyone who is down the rocks / circular quay and is looking for a snack make do with MacyD;s or the food hall when this place has such amazing take outs.

The cafe at the top of the new contemporary art museum has tried to copy la renaissance with their food, but they fail big time, they have the view but nothing else, avoid.
Is that the one with a frangipani tree in the back yard? Definitely one of the better patisseries around! It's a 5 minute walk from the Quay area
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Is that the one with a frangipani tree in the back yard? Definitely one of the better patisseries around! It's a 5 minute walk from the Quay area
Yep that is the one. It used to be run by an old fella from Paris but he passed away 10 years or so ago now, his daughter I think took it over.

The food in that place is better than the cafe food I have had in France!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep that is the one. It used to be run by an old fella from Paris but he passed away 10 years or so ago now, his daughter I think took it over.

The food in that place is better than the cafe food I have had in France!
Indeed! It's my favourite place for coffee especially if the frangipani is out!!! It was pretty busy last time I was there though.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

we went to La Renaissance. Despite the que we bagged a two seater table in the court yard but I found it a bit oppressive with the high walls round the court yard.

Daughter was wide eyed and uncomfortable, "too busy!" she said, so we left and got hot chips and perched on a wall. All good, we were there early and kept our seats as the Quay filled up with a huge crowd.

I think we're probably spoilt down here in the Illawarra with the choice of beachside cafes all with views of the sea!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carzinoz
we went to La Renaissance. Despite the que we bagged a two seater table in the court yard but I found it a bit oppressive with the high walls round the court yard.

Daughter was wide eyed and uncomfortable, "too busy!" she said, so we left and got hot chips and perched on a wall. All good, we were there early and kept our seats as the Quay filled up with a huge crowd.

I think we're probably spoilt down here in the Illawarra with the choice of beachside cafes all with views of the sea!
Should have gotten take out and sat on the picnic tables on top of the overseas ships terminal Often we don't sit in this cafe.

You get exactly the same view as the cafe on top of the museum bit with better food and a better price

I don't mind the courtyard out the back, reminds me of many of the cafes in my home town of York, Sydney doesn't have many nooks / hideaways like that so is something a bit different to the usual beachy cafe stuff.

When I walk down Greenaway alley to get round the back of this cafe it is the only place in Sydney that reminds me of home.

Last edited by Jon77; Jun 9th 2013 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG!!! I'll be in Sydney next month for a few days and this is now top of my list of places to go.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Say hello when you get here!!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carzinoz

lol...Kelly HATED it all....not one for queues and busy places and was very out of sorts!! :0
I however thrived in it
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

me and Kelly will stick to our beachside cafes then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.