Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas in the Sun!

Christmas in the Sun!

Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Christmas in the Sun!

Well we surprised ourselves-we had a great time! We thought that we would not enjoy it as it was not what we were used to but it was fab-down the beach, in the pool, bbqs-what more could we ask for at Christmas!
Our first Christmas in the sun and it was brilliant!
Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas in the Sun!

Originally posted by melaniee
Well we surprised ourselves-we had a great time! We thought that we would not enjoy it as it was not what we were used to but it was fab-down the beach, in the pool, bbqs-what more could we ask for at Christmas!
Tell it in more detail - what did you do? where and when......

Glad you had a good time
Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky you, I am so envious.
All we have had here in the south of England is rain.
It was also reported to be one of the warmest christmases.
A hot and sunny chrimbo may seem strange, but there is nothing worse that a grey, and muggy one.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:15 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by S Oldfield
A hot and sunny chrimbo may seem strange, but there is nothing worse that a grey, and muggy one.
Don't despair, in July/Aug when its sunny in the UK you can gloat over those downunder who are suffering grey, wet and windy days. Unless of course you will be arriving in Oz in the middle of winter in which case bring your brolly and your winter coat! and look forward to summer.

Last edited by Jirrupin; Dec 30th 2003 at 5:45 am.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 7:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Don't despair, in July/Aug when its sunny in the UK you can gloat over those downunder who are suffering grey, wet and windy days.
Yes, i'm not looking forward to winter in QLD, the average temperature is as low as 9.5C and doesnt go above 20.4C.
And an average rainfall of 45mm to 56mm in July/August (better than 133mm in December)
And we drop to an average of only 6.8hrs sunshine per day

Oh well, its what I chose

Old Dec 30th 2003, 7:17 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by S Oldfield
PLEASE SEND RAIN STOP DAMS NEAR EMPTY STOP BUSHFIRES THREATEN STOP SITUATION URGENT STOP BEST WISHES AUNTY MEG
Old Dec 30th 2003, 9:23 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, i'm not looking forward to winter in QLD, the average temperature is as low as 9.5C and doesnt go above 20.4C.
And an average rainfall of 45mm to 56mm in July/August (better than 133mm in December)
And we drop to an average of only 6.8hrs sunshine per day

Oh well, its what I chose
Although the temps are obviously much colder in a UK winter, I really feel the drop in temps in Perth. When it can drop 10-15c in a day, I really feel the cold.

And the cold strong winds are bl**dy horrid.

But I agree with Aunty Meg (shan't think of you in any other way from now on ) the dams do need water.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 9:40 am
Just Joined

sharpener is an unknown quantity at this point

wow - sounds fab! It's grey and miserable over here
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Your Christmas sounds fabulous- give us a full blown account of what you did. It is still grey, damp and almost dark here and it is 11 AM! Will the sky ever be seen again before March?
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Christmas in the Sun!

I know Jirrupin-we came over on a recce trip in June and it was cold but it is fun laughing now when you know it is so cold and dark in the UK now!

Ok-Christmas Eve-picture the scene! Over 30 degrees-bbq round by the pool, in and out of the water, drinking, eating etc etc etc-open one Christmas present ( a tradition with me and hubby!)

Christmas day-we never ever made the fatal mistake of rushing from one set of parents to the next in the UK-Always had Christmas day by ourselves and always had a great time-some people may think it strange but we have always loved it. So this year was no different-mulled wine, open pressies, prepare dinner (had to be roast-there are some traditions that are still alive here with us!!-you can have too many bbqs esp if veggie!!), in and out of pool whilst dinner cooking, eat dinner, more pressies, down to beach showing off new body boards and champagne at sunset to toast the day!!

Boxing day-another schorcher-down to the beach, back to pool for cool down and bbq-it goes on!!

27th-down to a local beach that is only accesible by 4x4 hence not that many people and perfect temperatures, sea, sand and a picnic.

It has been just like a holiday!

Now-need I say more!

It seemed strange decorating the tree wearing shorts and t-shirts but I suppose the weather is the one good thing out here-there has to be one thing I suppose (oh, I tried so hard to be positive all the way through!!)
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't despair, in July/Aug when its sunny in the UK you can gloat over those downunder who are suffering grey, wet and windy days.

Sunny in the UK,
Fraid I missed that, must have been having a wee, wee that day
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:15 pm
Good to be back in UK

(oh, I tried so hard to be positive all the way through!!)

And a valiant attempt it was too

Sounds like you had a really great Christmas and made the most of the sunshine and the Western Australian beaches.

Good for you.

We haven't had a BBQ yet and we have been here over 4 months. Does anyone think that is a little strange?
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default BBQs

Strange-no bbq after 4 months-not at all-why should you conform to what you are supposed to do-rebel Jirrupin! I hate conforming!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:30 pm
Good to be back in UK

Default Re: BBQs

Strange-no bbq after 4 months-not at all-why should you conform to what you are supposed to do-rebel Jirrupin! I hate conforming!
Its not that we haven't thought about having a BBQ. We had considered using one of the public ones at one stage but the urge passed thinking about having to pack everything up etc.

Cooking in the campervan will probably be as close as we get to BBQ, well its almost the outdoors ...isn't it?

The other thing that put me off was the bloomin flies, but they do seem to be a little better at the moment, or maybe thats because I've killed most of them
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Public BBQ

A public bbq-have you seen what the aussies take with them-the whole kitchen, no, whole house-they must have been up at 5am packing it all in-and then what time do they get down there to get the bbq, table, chairs, grass area-no thanks!

Think the reason why people go out is cos no-one has a bbq big enough to swing a cat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.