Christmas in OZ

Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:14 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Christmas in OZ

Just wondered how you plan on spending your Christmas this year in OZ.!!
It will be our first Xmas here (Perth) and are curious to how we will feel when the day comes.!
Do many of you still send presents back to the UK for your friends and family?? if so is it expensive to post them.
This year we have decided to not bother sending presents, but may consider it next year as long as we are still here
Do you all still have the traditional Xmas dinner, or is it BBQ time?

We really do want to get into the christmas spirit but can't help feeling it won't be the same, warm weather and all that.
Might even pop down to Cottesloe Beach with the TV station and give everyone back home a wave on Xmas day
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:27 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas in OZ

Originally Posted by paulrachel
It will be our first Xmas here (Perth) and are curious to how we will feel when the day comes.!
Do many of you still send presents back to the UK for your friends and family?? if so is it expensive to post them.
This year we have decided to not bother sending presents, but may consider it next year as long as we are still here

We really do want to get into the christmas spirit but can't help feeling it won't be the same, warm weather and all that.
Might even pop down to Cottesloe Beach with the TV station and give everyone back home a wave on Xmas day
Ba HUMBUG! Not sending presents?

We're all going to sit inside our dripping (has to be dripping as it normally rains) fridge watching The Wizard Of OZ DVD we brought with us so that we can re-create the unique UK Xmas experience right here in Australia.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:31 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Just having some friend over for a sea food dinner (and lots of wine).

We went back to the UK for Xmas, wasn't what I remembered I had the idea of snow everywhere and lots of decorations around the place. When in fact it just seemed cold and grey with nothing to do (too cold to go out) but watch crap TV.

I now actually like Oz Xmas better, I can go for a swim and relax all day without being stuck inside and arguing with relatives

Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin

We went back to the UK for Xmas, wasn't what I remembered I had the idea of snow everywhere and lots of decorations around the place. When in fact it just seemed cold and grey with nothing to do (too cold to go out) but watch crap TV.

I now actually like Oz Xmas better, I can go for a swim and relax all day without being stuck inside and arguing with relatives
That's why I'm so thankful for Skype as now I can argue with my family for hours on end on Xmas day no matter where I am on earth and without costing me a penny. I can't wait until they get the video-conferencing functionality sorted out....
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:37 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the same when you can hang up

The video feature is handy so your gran and see the look on your face when you open the big woolly jumper she has sent !

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
That's why I'm so thankful for Skype as now I can argue with my family for hours on end on Xmas day no matter where I am on earth and without costing me a penny. I can't wait until they get the video-conferencing functionality sorted out....
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:40 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin

lol ..i know what you mean!!! and at least this year i won't have to put on a brave face and pretend i like what granny bought me
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

We decided that this Xmas we will spend the day out on the boat. We are gonna pack up a champagne lunch and enjoy a quiet day with some friends. Bliss
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Our Christmas Day

Wake up - Kids open pressies

Dad opens the champagne, have bacon eggs, etc on bbq

Then play in the pool all day

Late afternoon BBQ, that way Mum doesnt have to stand in kitchen all day because everything is prepared the night before, so Dad is the cook for the day - while Mum enjoys

Fantastic!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road

It obviously won't feel the same as in England and I think once you appreciate that then you can move on and enjoy it. We had our first Australian Christmas in Perth last year and it was lovely. Yes very different from England but great.
We went to the beach in the morning, ate fruit, prawns, drank champagne...We then came back to a great lunch with cold meats, salads, great wine etc and the kids played with their toys and swam in the pool all day. It was such a nicer day than with the drab grey of the U.K...who in reality has a white christmas?? We all sat outside and had a longer more enjoyable day. In England it would be so based around one large meal and loads of gifts and everybody crammed in one little room all afternoon/evening getting drunk and falling asleep.
I'm ashamed to say I did miss the materialism a little bit!!! but its crazy to think Ozzie kids don't have such a great christmas because it is hot!!
Merry Christmas to you!!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Usually sit around someones pool, new pool toys ham and salad type meal, rarely a bbq, more a ham and salad buffet type thing is what wever been invited too.

But this year, yabba dabba doo Santa came early and stuffed my stocking with tickets to the UK were leaving for airport about daybreak, cant wait, hope the plane is empty, and I hope UK is freezing, we left here the last time it was about 44 degrees :scared: and landed in 2 and frost could have kissed the ground it was such a relief.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We felt strange on Christmas day, there is no doubt it feels different when it is warm. We didn't send adults presents but I did post a small box of stuff to my niece and nephew and it cost me $50 to post it. Won't be doing that again this year.

We got up and opened presents, has some breakfast and then had a drive down to Trigg Beach. Lots of folk around.

We had only been here about 5 months last Christmas so didn't have a lot of friends so we spent Christmas day alone, this year we hope to have a houseful. I plan on getting some fish and prawns and eat loads of mango and cherries. We will drink and have fun in the pool.

Rather you than me down at Cottesloe, it was full of pissed up arseholes last year.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:18 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We avoid all beaches because of the pissed up backpackers. No pool, so that's a none starter. No family, so just Mr GG and I. And while last year we did get invited to spend Christmas with friends and their family, it just felt wrong - why should they have to accomodate us? So it was just Mr GG and I and a rather nice rack of lamb and couscous. The pressies were all open by about 7.30 am, as my mother refuses to understand time differences, so she called us then. And we called home around 7.00 pm (Sydney) to hear our neices and nephews opening the pressies we'd sent to them. I'm grateful that we didn't miss out on that. But it was heartbreaking to miss out in person. I think, all in, it was a sad day. Which is probably why this year, we're refusing to think about it. Might go away, I think.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:23 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what will happen. If we're in our new place, everyone might arrive there... By 'everyone' that will be MIL, three sets uncles and aunts, three BIL, Three cousins, three cousins in law, their children.

Everyone brings food - salads, desserts etc and we all eat drink and be merry with BBQ unless there's a total fire ban (often). It's at a diff person's house each year.

As for presents, I'm sending the Aussie Classic of 'Squatter' to my nephews, Aussie art calendars to all rellies (all in one envelope so they can be distributed on the day) then I'm filling a medium size postpack box with light but yummy Australian things - Tim Tams, jelly snakes, caramel koalas, Cherry Ripes, Murray River salt, Macadamia nuts, Blue Mts Nougat, Australian organic coffee, macadamia nut butter, passionfruit jelly , etc etc etc. Put labels with names on and there you go.... I'll work out next year's later.

Last edited by iPom; Oct 26th 2006 at 8:31 am.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:37 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I think we'll probably avoid Christmas, pretty much like we did last year. We'll have some friends over here then, so we'll just get pissed and take it easy. Might go down the beach, but depends on the weather. Last Christmas it was blowing a gale

Never know what might turn up, though. No plans yet
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:12 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachel,
We had the best Christmas ever last year (our first in Perth) in fact from Christmas day on it was rouind after round of parties!
Totally different to the Uk but enjoyed it all the same.
Had full Christmas dinner with all the trimmings - but might just have a BBQ this year!
Have a good one,
Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.