Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Aus

Christmas in Aus

Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:43 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christmas in Aus

I know that this might sound strange to some people but I am a bit apprehensive about christmas in Aus.

For me in the UK it usually follows the pattern of - early October pick the sloes and start making the sloe gin - later October start marinating the fruit in alcohol for the cake - takes two weeks - make the cake, pudding, christmas chutney, apricot chutney, mincemeat and cucumber relish. From November on its organise, organise, bird to order, shopping list to sort, guest list (friends and rellies). Christmas eve making parmiers, sausage rolls, mince pies and something for supper - picking up the vegetables and doing anything last minute. Christmas morning - up at 6.00 and start prep work for food and light a fire (a must on christmas day!) - smoked salmon and scrambled egg with a champagne cocktail for breakfast and then on we go, cooking, eating etc etc. I LOVE IT. but what about this year - will it be too hot in Melbourne? Will we have any friends to invite round!!!!? Will I be able to get sloes? oh the worries of moving!!!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:47 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Christmas in Aus

Chances are you can forget the fire on Xmas morning although 3 years ago it was pretty cool & raining here.
All the other stuff you can do I'm sure, our turkey normally gets cooked in the BBQ now.
I'll come round for Xmas afternoon if theres free drink going.

PS They also do Christmas in July in Melbourne. You can book into one of the many Hotels Xmas parties in July mid winter here & get two Xmas's per year.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
Chances are you can forget the fire on Xmas morning although 3 years ago it was pretty cool & raining here.
All the other stuff you can do I'm sure, our turkey normally gets cooked in the BBQ now.
I'll come round for Xmas afternoon if theres free drink going.

PS They also do Christmas in July in Melbourne. You can book into one of the many Hotels Xmas parties in July mid winter here & get two Xmas's per year.

does that mean the husband has to buy me another christmas present? Yippee
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to feel like one of those people that spoils xmas for kids now dammit.

Unfortunatly Vanessa, there is no way that xmas in aussie, has anywhere near the atmosphere that xmas in England has. I've been here for years and years now. The only thing I can remember about all of the ones here, that has been enjoyable, is watching our kids opening their pressies, But the rest of it, the build up, the day, the food, other people and their reactions just aint the same unfortunatly. I've tried traditional, I've tried outside, I've tried seafood, I've tried going out for xmas dinner. Tried it with the wifes aussie family, the whole gammit. Nothing compares, so best prepare for that.

Still, I've never felt compelled to go back to England for xmas in all the time I've been here either. If it's any comfort New Years eve, is just as good here, if not better because its warm.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:45 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

This thread bought back memories. My Christmas's are spent at the coast, in holdiay house with family. Christmas day spent opening presents, having BBQ for lunch. Go for a swim down the beach, come back fall asleep on my hammock. Wake up, have Christmas dinner BBQ and salad. After dinner, my bro, dad and I would walk down to the river for a fish and , and relaxing.
Then I came to Glasgow :scared: Very big difference. 5 layers of jumpers and pants. Pissing with rain, but, it was a good experience, and I had a good time sitting with the inlaws and friends.
However, I'll be back in Oz for christmas this year, so it will be interesting to see how the girl friend gets on with a summer christmas.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:13 pm

It certainly sounds like it will be different from here in the UK. I don't really mind the different experiences but I do hope we will have some friends to share it with!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:16 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I know that this might sound strange to some people but I am a bit apprehensive about christmas in Aus.

For me in the UK it usually follows the pattern of - early October pick the sloes and start making the sloe gin - later October start marinating the fruit in alcohol for the cake - takes two weeks - make the cake, pudding, christmas chutney, apricot chutney, mincemeat and cucumber relish. From November on its organise, organise, bird to order, shopping list to sort, guest list (friends and rellies). Christmas eve making parmiers, sausage rolls, mince pies and something for supper - picking up the vegetables and doing anything last minute. Christmas morning - up at 6.00 and start prep work for food and light a fire (a must on christmas day!) - smoked salmon and scrambled egg with a champagne cocktail for breakfast and then on we go, cooking, eating etc etc. I LOVE IT. but what about this year - will it be too hot in Melbourne? Will we have any friends to invite round!!!!? Will I be able to get sloes? oh the worries of moving!!!!!!

Christmas at your place, Vanessa, sounds fab! Can I come too please?!

I must say, even after 28 years here, Christmas is not the same as the English ones. I'm inclined to agree with ozzieeagle to an extent, but there again, we haven't had littlies around for a long time now, and they do make a difference.

As Bordy said, many places do a 'Christmas in June or July' here. From Brisbane, the best places are in the mountains either at Maleny/Montville, Tamborine or west to Stanthorpe area. They're all a lot colder and have the traditional roaring log fires, etc, which help the atmosphere I think. I'm sure someone would have some recommendations near Melbourne.

I've never seen sloes here either, though that's not to say they aren't around. Maybe you'll have to have a fast gin and tonic or two (with lots of ice and lemon) instead?!

Aside from the fire and the sloe gin, the rest of what you describe is perfectly attainable ... and if you need a crowd, just sing out on here! I'm sure you'd get plenty of takers!!

Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:17 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

It certainly sounds like it will be different from here in the UK. I don't really mind the different experiences but I do hope we will have some friends to share it with!!!!
Been here nearly 6 years Vanessa & love it to bits BUT Christmas is so weird even after 6 years. I still can't get used to Xmas decorations up & 30 plus degrees outside.
Not saying its worse but it sure is differant.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:23 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

MMMMMMMMM yummy, It all sounds really good. Can I have christmas dinner with you? ha ha it sounds lovely and so much preperation goes into it. Me an hubby moving to Oz next year, please keep 2 spare places for us to join you.

My mouth is watering now so I am off to get a drink of water
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:33 pm
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

I'm still taking our tree and some decorations, but never did go all out for Christmas here anyway.
It'd be interested to see if Gav and I will actually miss a cold and wet British Christmas after we've tried the beach and BBQ Christmas Day.... I still think I wont, but could be proved wrong...
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:33 pm
The Godfather

I can't wait. Christmas at Vanessas house woohoo.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Been here nearly 6 years Vanessa & love it to bits BUT Christmas is so weird even after 6 years. I still can't get used to Xmas decorations up & 30 plus degrees outside.
Not saying its worse but it sure is differant.
My sentiments entirely and I've been here for 25 years. It's still weird.

Mind you, it's not so weird that I've ever been tempted to leave an Australian summer just to experience an English Christmas. You wouldn't catch me going back there in the winter for anything

It's what you grew up with that counts. The same applies if you grew with Aussie Christmases and then have to spend the rest of them in the UK.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:37 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Have the same worries as you vanessa, though for sloe gin read blackberry vodka. we will need a whole container to ship us over if only for the christmas decorations. On 25the ish of November all the normal decorations and pictures in the house come down and are stored the house is cleaned within an inch of its life and christmas decorations etc are installed throughout the house untill the traditional 6 Jan. Though will be able to pare a bit off the xmas dinner as we usually have three meats for dinner turkey pork and beef, but as we are leaving the poultry allergic FIL behind, I may get away with only have to cook it in time for tea instead of dinner. (see things will be easier in oz)

This is the only negative thing that gets mentioned about oz at all from my children, oh and from their father and I suppose I will have to admit from me aswell, though it is looking better and better as the parents have fallen out, so it will be difficult to have both sets as usual, and if we get to oz WE WONT HAVE TO!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:53 pm

So you are now all my friends - see you on christmas eve when the merriement starts!!!!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:57 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

So you are now all my friends - see you on christmas eve when the merriement starts!!!!!!!

We spent Christmas day In Geelong 3 years a go it was a bit nippy. It all seemed very strange walking up to Myers window Xmas eve to see the display in the sun with people walking about in santa hats and t-shirts. Not to mention the boxing day test santa hats sun and cricket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.