Christmas

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough
Default Christmas

Okay here is my first real question. The one thing that makes me get all anxious about moving is Christmas. I know it's silly but I just don't know how I will deal with eating turkey sandwiches on the beach in 110 degree weather. There should be snow and sleigh rides and cold. In the big picture I know it's a minor detail but...how do others deal with this? I fear I will spend my holidays in tears.

Paula

Last edited by PaulaJ; Jul 3rd 2004 at 8:27 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 8:26 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas

Originally posted by PaulaJ
Okay here is my first real question. The one thing that makes me get all anxious about moving is Christmas. I know it's silly but I just don't know how I will deal with eating turkey sandwiches on the beach in 110 degree weather. There should be snow and sleigh rides and cold. In the big picture I know it's a minor detail but...how do other's deal with this? I fear I will spend my holidays in tears.

Paula
Hi Paula, we're interested to know the opinions on this one too. We think the first one at least will be a novelty but will certainly be a bit different. I'm sure some of the (real) ex-pats will respond when they wake up in the next couple of hours!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 8:30 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Okay here is my first real question. The one thing that makes me get all anxious about moving is Christmas. I know it's silly but I just don't know how I will deal with eating turkey sandwiches on the beach in 110 degree weather. There should be snow and sleigh rides and cold. In the big picture I know it's a minor detail but...how do other's deal with this? I fear I will spend my holidays in tears.

Paula
The snow here rapidly gets less & less every year,but for me too i have to agree i do love a white xmas,it just isnt the same without one.
I cant remember last when we did get a white xmas?
Donna.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Of course it's gonna be different for everyone. The novelty of sun, beaches, barbies, picnics might be really exciting for new (& not so new) immigrants.

Personally, as xmas is my fave time of year, I found it incredibly hard. Decorations in shops, xmas ads on TVs, decorated homes - very strange when the sun is shining. For me also, I had only been in Oz 2 months when xmas came so I was already homesick & this compounded it.

Some poms I know say you get used to it, others say they never do.

I think it's a fact of life it will be hard for some - can't pretend otherwise. Just try & celebrate it in the way you most want.

Hopefully other posters can put a merrier face on this!!

Cheers,
Bella
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:16 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

As a kid it made little sense to me to sweat to death watching my mother slave away in a kitchen making Christmas turkey and ham, especially in dear old humid Brisbane. The idea of preparing a more common sense meal like a salad never occured to her.

Still, I've had six cold Christmas' here in Texas and I can say it doesn't feel right to be cold at that time of year.

At the same token, it'd be close to 35 degrees outside as I write this and that doesn't feel right either for July.

I think most people in Australia who celebrate Christmas probably mix the traditional with the topical. I've had a bunch of traditional dinners as well as BBQ's outdoors with plenty of beer and salad.

Still, it's a good excuse for a beer or ten and reflect on a year gone by.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:57 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Okay here is my first real question. The one thing that makes me get all anxious about moving is Christmas. I know it's silly but I just don't know how I will deal with eating turkey sandwiches on the beach in 110 degree weather. There should be snow and sleigh rides and cold. In the big picture I know it's a minor detail but...how do others deal with this? I fear I will spend my holidays in tears.

Paula
When in Rome....... Have a BBQ, have cold platers, lots of seafood, enormous amount of beer.

Sleigh rides? well the kids will be able to use all there new toys, ride there boogie boards at there beach, actually ride there new bikes, and do all this in there bathers, and not walking around like a penguin cos they have so many layers of clothing on.

And if that still dont work, come over to our place and we will hire one of those snow making machines.

BYO booze

Siren's better half
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:25 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
As a kid it made little sense to me to sweat to death watching my mother slave away in a kitchen making Christmas turkey and ham, especially in dear old humid Brisbane. The idea of preparing a more common sense meal like a salad never occured to her.

Still, I've had six cold Christmas' here in Texas and I can say it doesn't feel right to be cold at that time of year.

At the same token, it'd be close to 35 degrees outside as I write this and that doesn't feel right either for July.

I think most people in Australia who celebrate Christmas probably mix the traditional with the topical. I've had a bunch of traditional dinners as well as BBQ's outdoors with plenty of beer and salad.

Still, it's a good excuse for a beer or ten and reflect on a year gone by.
Yes, very true its what u make it,but explaining to the kids is a different story?!!
Donna.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough

Making snow? Brilliant. Now, my husband probably wouldn't be too keen, but I don't mind being the kooky American with the Christmas snow withdrawal "issues". Every neighborhood should have one!
Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:37 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to experience a snow-less Christmas as I arrived here in March but as you can see... Hubby is willing to make it comfy as possible for my children and I should we be homesick for x-mas.

I'm actually looking forward to Xmas on the beach! I don't know how the second, third and fourth years will go but it's still novel right now.

I think the fact that each year, I WILL be going back home in Jan so the kids can visit with thier father might color me a bit.

Going from 40 degrees to -40 degrees in one day will remind me how lovely xmas on the beach is ...LOL

Siren
Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:49 am
ABCDiamond

Christmas in July

Do a google.au search for "Christmas in July".

It gets pretty popular. Nice Roast Dinner at a local restaurent, in July or August, with a blazing log fire

Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:59 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

I found the first Christmas here very hard. My daughter was just a year old and we spent it with my in-laws. Not Fun !!

It's obvioulsy not the same and perhaps the best way to deal with it is not to have too many expectations. Last year we went to Santas Kingdom in Sydney...my daughter loved it. Real fun.Huge slides with pretend snow,elves, fairies and Christmas themed rooms. Really good for kids and just as nice for adults.

Make the best of what you can. !!
Old Jul 4th 2004, 5:14 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by madsad
Yes, very true its what u make it,but explaining to the kids is a different story?!!
Donna.
My kids are 5 and 3. They're not quite accustomed to the being cold in December syndrome yet. And they won't ever be as they'll be in Australia this Christmas.

It doesn't really snow here in Dallas anyway, just sleet and ice.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:27 am
Just Joined

jak xx is an unknown quantity at this point

HI everyone, xmas for us was wierd!!!! we are used to the big family xmas,so our first xmas in oz was pretty sad. i have 4 daughters and they missed their relatives in uk so much at xmas time.(well maybe it was the missing presents).!!! also it was so hot to be cooking roast dinner,xmas coming it will be a barbie in the garden with all the new friends weve made.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 9:06 am
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

Hi there!

Hubby is Australian so used to Christmas in the summer, I spent Christmas in Australia a couple of years ago on holiday.

It was a novelty. We had "traditional" Christmas dinner. I found this hard as we had the hot dinner indoors and it was about 35 degrees After dinner we spent the afternoon playing cricket in the back yard with family.

Well - you wouldn't do that in UK would you!

I think I will find it hard as my fav image of Christmas and the period before it is when it is cold outside & dark in the early evening and inside is all cosy with fires/candle light etc........ But I will have to adapt and I guess you have to make Christmas special in other ways.

Will let you know how I get on - next summer Christmas coming up!!!!!

T x
Old Jul 4th 2004, 9:27 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Paula
Know what you mean - I was brought up with N European and New England snowy Xmasses (and we're Jewish, so ought to be immune to the Xmas thing ).

FWIW, I really enjoyed my first S Hemisphere Xmas in Wellington a couple years ago - we had the full meal with trimmings, bought & decorated the tree on Xmas eve, and had a New Year's day picnic on a beautiful sunny deserted beach!

I'm looking forward to the Melbourne 'Xmas in July' - will be driving up into the mountains for some snow walking, mulled wine & log fires!

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.