Chooks !!!

Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:26 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Chooks !!!

Strange question some might say...but does anyone over there in oz keep chickens?
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My Bloke says they kept some a few years ago - that was out near Kingaroy; and we have friends on the southern fringes of Brisbane, at Beenleigh, who have some in their garden - and they live in a very nice house; she's mega-houseproud, but they have these chooks in a run in the garden!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Your suburban neighbours would be up in arms if you tried to bring in the chooks. ! ! Big no no in the burbs.

Acerage tho should present no problem. However they attract flies, maggots, bloody awful problem to keep the flies away even the cleanest chook pen. Pretty smelly in the heat too.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:25 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Your suburban neighbours would be up in arms if you tried to bring in the chooks. ! ! Big no no in the burbs.
They are allowed anywhere covered by brisbane City Council
Poultry - see this from ourBrisbane

Each Brisbane household can keep up to 20 fowl, including ducks and geese, without a permit. You are not required to keep the fowls in a pen.
If you wish to keep more than 20 fowl, you will require Town Planning consent and permission from the Egg Board.
Roosters are not allowed on any premises in a residential zone.
If you are keeping poultry on your property you should:
keep conditions clean to prevent odour and fly breeding
store bulk food in pest-proof containers
consider using lime to combat odour problems and reduce the soil pH
avoid putting out excess amounts of food so you don’t encourage rats or mice
gather up all manure and place it in weather-proof and fly-proof containers at least once every seven days
replace water daily

My Nephew had chooks in their yard in town (Woolowin). We have chooks - but we are on acreage. To date the set up and running costs mean it costs us about 80c/egg (improving daily)
Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by DagBoy
They are allowed anywhere covered by brisbane City Council
Poultry - see this from ourBrisbane

Each Brisbane household can keep up to 20 fowl, including ducks and geese, without a permit. You are not required to keep the fowls in a pen.
If you wish to keep more than 20 fowl, you will require Town Planning consent and permission from the Egg Board.
Roosters are not allowed on any premises in a residential zone.
If you are keeping poultry on your property you should:
keep conditions clean to prevent odour and fly breeding
store bulk food in pest-proof containers
consider using lime to combat odour problems and reduce the soil pH
avoid putting out excess amounts of food so you don’t encourage rats or mice
gather up all manure and place it in weather-proof and fly-proof containers at least once every seven days
replace water daily

My Nephew had chooks in their yard in town (Woolowin). We have chooks - but we are on acreage. To date the set up and running costs mean it costs us about 80c/egg (improving daily)
Cheers,
DagBoy
Read the covenants in most new land developments tho and you will see chooks are a no no.

Even where allowed, all your neighbours would have to do is whine to the council the chooks were attracting snakes and whoopy do one big neighbourhood dispute.

Plus the smell
:scared:
Old Aug 5th 2003, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

What about ducks? Always fancied a duck meself.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:45 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We hope to buy outside the city, whichever one we go to so im not too worried about the neighbors....

Thanks for the info guys.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:50 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
We hope to buy outside the city, whichever one we go to so im not too worried about the neighbors....

Thanks for the info guys.
we have 12 chooks ,8 geese, 2sheep , 1milking goat, 3dogs , 7cockatiels ,1 sulpher crested cockatoo all on 2,1/2 acres of land 35km nth of Adelaide......we have a few problems with foxes, but nothing that a shotgun wont fix ..apart from that..lots of fresh eggs, and lots of fresh air............ MM
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

My Cousin keeps chooks in his back yard in Maida Vale, Perth i think his house is on about an acre so its not like they are right outside the door.

Lynn
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:32 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ

Have one evry time we go down the chinky

yeah corny I know

or how about

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DianeOZ

Yeah so do I but I couldn't eat a whole one

groan

yeah yeah I'll get my coat
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:08 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Chooks !!!

Originally posted by PeteY
Strange question some might say...but does anyone over there in oz keep chickens?
My friend in Caboolture keeps them, also has a Rooster too. I do not know too much about the local laws regarding chickens (I hate the word chooks - I refuse to say it or "bikies, firies, milko and on and on ) ) Anyway, It does depend on your local council, neighbours and such, also depends on the size of your land etc. You're going to have to check your local bylaws with your certain area/council/neighbourhood/zoning type.

Where my friend lives is in a residential only zoned "estate" in the Morayfield area. Their land is about an acre, which isn't all that big - an ace sounds big that's all. Their house is close to the neighbours houses,the land is long rather than wide. Anyway, they own chickens and a rooster. Regarding if he is breaking the local council laws... I don't know, he's not one for "rules and regulations" (he's already threatened to hit one council inspector when he was building the property - "barks worse than his bite".

Anyway it depends on the type of property you have - you'll have to check with your local council.

Cheers

P.S. watch for snakes - chickens and birds attract snakes. A couple who I know keep Budgies and such in the garden in an aviary - they've had a few eaten by carpet snakes.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Their has been an article on the tv recently about a guy in Brisbane suburb keeping chickens in his back yard, but seems his back yard is not the min size required (don't know details) for chickens and council insist he removes them.
His neighbour has said the chickens can come into his yard as well so they made a hole in the fence, and now the 2 gardens are above the min requirements.

Council still not happy and are planning on changeing the rules to prevent this soloution.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:42 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Their has been an article on the tv recently about a guy in Brisbane suburb keeping chickens in his back yard, but seems his back yard is not the min size required (don't know details) for chickens and council insist he removes them.
His neighbour has said the chickens can come into his yard as well so they made a hole in the fence, and now the 2 gardens are above the min requirements.

Council still not happy and are planning on changeing the rules to prevent this soloution.
Guy two doors down from me had chickens until last week, the rooster made some much noise in the morning that the street was up in arms !. He was politely informed to get rid of them which he did (I think the rooster was waking him up too).

Rule of thumb, if you don't live on a farm, don't have them. Deal with it. The supermarket sells eggs.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Kiwipaul

yes, I saw that a couple of months back, I thought it was down the GC somewhere - I seem to recall the land must be over 700 sq metres, or 750. - which isn't a prob for me or my mate with the chickens(not that I want to keep chickens) . But it also depends on your local council what is allowed and not allowed in your zone/residential area. People need to check with their relevant Local council.

last house I was in which was in a residential area, my neighbour had two goats..., they kept coming into my garden and pooping on the patio area and head butting the glass (their own reflection - stupid animals) - I didn't mind though because they were coming in to eat my long grass and weeds.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 6th 2003 at 1:47 am.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu

Rule of thumb, if you don't live on a farm, don't have them. Deal with it. The supermarket sells eggs.
If you're allowed to have them, would like to have them why shouldn't you? I personally don't buy eggs from the supermarket from battery hens squashed together in small cages. Apart from that, I'd prefer knowing what the chickens had been fed, at least then I'd know there was no penicillin, ground up pigs or fish from the already dangerously depleted fish stocks in the oceans in their feed.

sashimi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.