Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chocolate and bananas

Chocolate and bananas

Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chocolate and bananas

Originally Posted by arkon
That’s because it's a myth. I too came here with pre conceived ideas about the cheap cost of living and the high standard of living. ALL a total load of bollxxcs. It gets worse after living here for a bit too as everyone, local and poms alike seem to self delude themselves that it isn't really expensive and the UK must be a lot dearer. Worse is when an Aussie who has never been to the UK or Europe insists that the cost of food etc in the UK is dearer than here!

Self deluding is all a symptom of over compensation for making a bad decision IMO. No one ever tells the mother of an ugly baby how ugly it is, quite the contrary they overcompensate by telling her and anyone that will listen how beautiful it is. (Replace 'baby' with 'Australia')

Now back off to hide under my box.....

So what is cheaper and what is more expensive.... from what little i have gained from my experiance and reading here i will start with:

Cheaper

eating out
petrol
wine (good wine not shite from supermarket)
fruit (except bananas)
Japanese cars
Taxis
trip to the beach
speed boats
CDs and DVDs (no Amazon, postage to Aus expensive)
MOT (don't need one)
Salaries
Rabbits
Tim Tams
Vegemite

More Expensive
Bananas
Chocolate
Front loading washing machines
TVs
Flights to anywhere
decent clothes
loans
using cashpoints
second hand cars
Outdoor gear
Penguins (chocolate variety)
Marmite

The Same
Most other things

What else?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 6:29 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
So what is cheaper and what is more expensive.... from what little i have gained from my experiance and reading here i will start with:

Cheaper

eating out
petrol
wine (good wine not shite from supermarket)
fruit (except bananas)
Japanese cars
Taxis
trip to the beach
speed boats
CDs and DVDs (no Amazon, postage to Aus expensive)
MOT (don't need one)
Salaries
Rabbits
Tim Tams
Vegemite

More Expensive
Bananas
Chocolate
Front loading washing machines
TVs
Flights to anywhere
decent clothes
loans
using cashpoints
second hand cars
Outdoor gear
Penguins (chocolate variety)
Marmite

The Same
Most other things

What else?
I'll try......

eating out (its all relative I personally think its more expensive and not as good quality or varied)

petrol (Price per litre yes, but the average australian drives 2.5 times as far)

wine (Yes cheaper)
fruit (No I find most fruit dearer and seasonal as apposed to the UK where it's mostly available all year)

Japanese cars (Marginally cheaper)

Taxis (Yes cheaper)

trip to the beach (Yes cos theres sod all to spend your money on when you get there, but the 30minutes to an hour drive to get there still means it has a cost)

speed boats (Maybe)

CDs and DVDs (I initially thought they were until I recently went back to the UK for a visit and they are now on a par with each other EXCEPT forget any kind of decent internet mail order as the postage out here makes buying things like this by mail order a waste of time. Thank god for BIG W!)

MOT (don't need one) (MYTH!! You need a pink slip re:MOT to be able to re register your car each year, you wont need it on new cars but then there is the 3% stamp duty on all car puchases new and used, they compulsory CTP insurance and then the need for fully comp on top as car crime here is very bad. Oh and you have to pay to renew your licence every 3 years and to cap it all car service intervals here are HALF what they are in the UK)

Salaries (Cant coment as I don't work but from what friends tell me they are genreally worse unless you do some kind of meanial work in which case you will probably get more)

Rabbits (Rabits cheaper?? maybe but pet shops dont tend to have rabits an guinea pigs)

Tim Tams (Probably because I don't remember these in Tesco)
Vegemite

More Expensive
Bananas (YEP)
Chocolate (YEP and shite tasting too)

Front loading washing machines (YEP and frowned upon because they are more energy efficient, water efficient and wash your clothes better. But apparently they are crap because you cant add more clothes once the cycle has started!!)

TVs (I'd say not that much difference now)

Flights to anywhere (Forget your overseas holidays unless you are very well off)

decent clothes (not sure about dearer but where I live they don't exist period! I've never in my entire life known such shite quality, bad fitting and un-uniform shop to shop sizes!)

loans (YEP, no competition)

using cashpoints (Depends on who you bank with)

second hand cars (YEP so bring over your robin reliant and sell it here for a profit!)

Sorry I've given up now, by and large I find the place hugely more expensive and prices increasing before my very eyes weekly!!! A weeks food shopping 2 years ago cost me $120 now its $300 FFS!

OK back to my box......
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:32 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

I've just calculated that for the cost of Mercedes sports car in the UK you could buy about 272,000 bananas. Here by contrast the same car would get you 50,500 bananas!
It really is true Paul Keating wanted a banana republic i think ,we truly have one now .I had my first banana in neally a year today ,i felt like a real rich bastard .
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I've just calculated that for the cost of Mercedes sports car in the UK you could buy about 272,000 bananas. Here by contrast the same car would get you 50,500 bananas!
Yes, but you can't compare UK with Australia bananas for the reasons already given...

You've got to compare apples with er apples??!!!!!

I've never understood this baby thing. Occasionally my daughter has been asked to wear stuff that doesn't photograph that well. I think she looks ugly then. No rose tints for me on that score lol.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

i LOVE chocolate...i hate Bananas ,,,so i don't care if they cost alot cause i don't buy them

But the chocolate does taste abit iffy out here but it's still nice.
I have noticed that the British shops in OZ that sell food charge a fortune for the stuff, and half of it is American anyway,..peanut cups!!! never had them in UK...or did we?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

a few spring to mind

Aus expensive

books
white goods - just about any new gizmo unless its a KMart or BigW Tv/radio.
cars
Groceries
flights
power tools

Aus cheaper
Eating out, entertainment
Utils
rates
Housing (with caveat : you either get more for your money, or you're a cashed up migrant, otherwise it's as bad)
Public Transport
wine
private schooling

Generally I find that straya is cheaper if you don't have expensive tastes or needs.

I'm on the fence with petrol. I don't drive much further than in the UK, and I drive at speeds better for economy and for the engine. Ages ago I think I specified a fuel price that would bring it as a burden equivalant to the UK - well we're getting to that figure! Intervals - don't care, I change all my oils sooner than you should.

Overall, I agree with my old mate Mike Stanton and think it is comparable.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try......

eating out (its all relative I personally think its more expensive and not as good quality or varied)
yep (at least I think so, we never do it cos I'm told its too expensive
wine (Yes cheaper)
fruit (No I find most fruit dearer and seasonal as apposed to the UK where it's mostly available all year)
yep
Taxis (Yes cheaper)
yep
trip to the beach (Yes cos theres sod all to spend your money on when you get there, but the 30minutes to an hour drive to get there still means it has a cost)
Whats the beach, haven't been to one for two years
MOT (don't need one) (MYTH!! You need a pink slip re:MOT to be able to re register your car each year, you wont need it on new cars but then there is the 3% stamp duty on all car puchases new and used, they compulsory CTP insurance and then the need for fully comp on top as car crime here is very bad. Oh and you have to pay to renew your licence every 3 years and to cap it all car service intervals here are HALF what they are in the UK)
Not in Qld, you get a Safety cert here, but only when you try and sell your car.
Rabbits (Rabits cheaper?? maybe but pet shops dont tend to have rabits an guinea pigs)
You won't find cheap rabbits up here cos they're illegal
Tim Tams (Probably because I don't remember these in Tesco)
Penguins are nicer
Vegemite
Yum
More Expensive
Bananas (YEP)
Chocolate (YEP and shite tasting too)

Front loading washing machines (YEP and frowned upon because they are more energy efficient, water efficient and wash your clothes better. But apparently they are crap because you cant add more clothes once the cycle has started!!)

Flights to anywhere (Forget your overseas holidays unless you are very well off)
Thank you dad for my inheritance!
decent clothes (not sure about dearer but where I live they don't exist period! I've never in my entire life known such shite quality, bad fitting and un-uniform shop to shop sizes!)
Not allowed to comment as Mods can't have opinions
Sorry I've given up now, by and large I find the place hugely more expensive and prices increasing before my very eyes weekly!!! A weeks food shopping 2 years ago cost me $120 now its $300 FFS!

OK back to my box......
Sounds like MY box - did you know you had a lodger
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

You won't find cheap rabbits up here cos they're illegal

Did the Bloke tell you that as well
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:47 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Did the Bloke tell you that as well
Maybe the Australian blokes who built the massive thousands of kilometer long anti-rabbit fence were infact thinking of your type of rabbit when they built it because the furry 4 legged kind were able to cross the fence as the holes in the wire were too big! Only in Australia could they build an anti rabbit fence that only keeps out 6 foot rabbits!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Australian blokes who built the massive thousands of kilometer long anti-rabbit fence were infact thinking of your type of rabbit when they built it because the furry 4 legged kind were able to cross the fence as the holes in the wire were too big! Only in Australia could they build an anti rabbit fence that only keeps out 6 foot rabbits!

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:31 am
Account Closed

why do you hide in your box Arkon. What you say makes good sense.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:14 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by paulrachel
why do you hide in your box Arkon. What you say makes good sense.
Safest place to be. Normally coming out from under the box gets me shot at, and I can't resist a good argument from the 'The sun shines out of Australias ass' brigade so as I don't really have the time to indulge them, the best place is inside my airconditioned, mossie & fly free box. I've also decided that I know I'm right and Australia is a huge dissapointment and there is no need to tell people for my own sake. they will find out for themselves eventually.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:06 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
i LOVE chocolate...i hate Bananas ,,,so i don't care if they cost alot cause i don't buy them

But the chocolate does taste abit iffy out here but it's still nice.
I have noticed that the British shops in OZ that sell food charge a fortune for the stuff, and half of it is American anyway,..peanut cups!!! never had them in UK...or did we?
Yeah i used to eat them in the Uk...are they Reeces Buttercups (peanutbutter in a chocolate cup) so lovely
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Yeah i used to eat them in the Uk...are they Reeces Buttercups (peanutbutter in a chocolate cup) so lovely
yep thats the ones...i do like them but i remember them in USA when we went there and not in UK.
Arkon...don't worry mate...i understand everything you say. We do need your input as it does help.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Safest place to be. Normally coming out from under the box gets me shot at, and I can't resist a good argument from the 'The sun shines out of Australias ass' brigade so as I don't really have the time to indulge them, the best place is inside my airconditioned, mossie & fly free box. I've also decided that I know I'm right and Australia is a huge dissapointment and there is no need to tell people for my own sake. they will find out for themselves eventually.
Remember there is an exclusive, secret, by-invitation-only annex off 'The sun shines out of Australias ass' club called the "Can see the problems with Australia [most of which exist anywhere] but nonetheless like living here and have found a balance - infact secretly am doing quite well " too mate.

I think you are right about your part of the world. Keep on posting. And see my latest post on Fountain Gate where I pay tribute to your cynicism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.