British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   chocolate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/chocolate-432769/)

sparkiedoo Mar 6th 2007 8:16 pm

chocolate

:p what kind of chocolate do you get in oz ? galaxy , dairymilk ? or something else ? is it any good or is it better in the uk ?

datamile Mar 6th 2007 8:20 pm

Re: chocolate

the missus says its not the same ... ;(

Pollyana Mar 6th 2007 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by sparkiedoo (Post 4490102)
:p what kind of chocolate do you get in oz ? galaxy , dairymilk ? or something else ? is it any good or is it better in the uk ?

Like so many things in Aus, not better, not worse, just different :)

Its slightly less sweet - different amount of cocoa to stop it melting so fast. Mostly Cadburys, some familiar, like Mars Bars, some will be new to you.

Wendy Mar 6th 2007 8:23 pm

I personally think it's a lot nicer here. It reminds me of the Cadbury's buttons easter eggs I used to get as a kid.

This is not a good thing for me, as I hated chocolate in the UK and now I can't stop eating it :o

canaveral Mar 6th 2007 8:46 pm

Hi I love chocolate. I go hunting for English chocolate because although I like Oz choc I think English is abit nicer.
You can buy Nestle choc, most of the Areo bars are made in the uk. Lindt choc is lovely here too. Galaxy is called Dove here and is really nice.
You can get all Mars like Mars bar, Malteasers and twix but I think the choc tastes darker. Malteasers taste very different.
You can get most Cadbury's bars here with a few extra like cherry ripe and lots of Fredo frogs with different fillings. Adults and kids alike love them!
Also chocolate is more expensive here. You can't buy multi packs, only funsize and one bar is about $1.60 with a 2oog bar being about $4
OH and Roses chocs are nasty here, full of creams.

Another choc is Darrell Lea but I think only the licorice tastes nice from there.

You should see all the Easter eggs here. I have to walk past them in the supermarket with my eyes closed. I have never seen so much choice and the little bunnies call out to me. " Put me in the basket, You no you want to" so tempting!

Also there is a shop called Sweet sensation and it sells chocolate from England, the states and other imports and you can get most uk bars there including my weekly treat WALKERS CHEESE AND ONION CRISPS. I miss the crips the most. I don't eat crisps here which is probablya good things with eating all the chocolate.

One last thing, well you did ask! There is another shop called the British Lolly shop and they sell lots of UK sweets and chocs.

Happy munching, Feeling homesick now thinking of Malteasers and crisps, oh well, I think I heard a bunny call from the fridge. Yum!

Australia_bound? Mar 6th 2007 11:44 pm

Get just the same stuff as UK and other stuff you can't get in UK. Cherry ripes are wonderful (shame can't get em in UK). Chocolate has a slightly different taste (UK compared to Aus) but whether it was better or worse, possibly slightly nicer taste to UK choc in my opinion!

Ransi Mar 6th 2007 11:48 pm

The only chocolate I like eating here is Cherry Ripe and Dove which is like Galaxy,white chocolate Freddo aint bad either.

Demented Ferret Mar 6th 2007 11:56 pm

Also there is a shop called Sweet sensation and it sells chocolate from England, the states and other imports and you can get most uk bars there including my weekly treat WALKERS CHEESE AND ONION CRISPS. I miss the crips the most. I don't eat crisps here which is probablya good things with eating all the chocolate.

Where is this Sweet Sensation? I'm missing Walker's Crisps so much - my parents brought loads over with them on their visit, but even though we rationed ourselves, they've all gone and I'm sad (yes, probably in both senses of the word, I know), but crave any flavours.:D

Pollyana Mar 7th 2007 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4490126)
I personally think it's a lot nicer here. It reminds me of the Cadbury's buttons easter eggs I used to get as a kid.

This is not a good thing for me, as I hated chocolate in the UK and now I can't stop eating it :o

I generally prefer the chocolate here too, just a few English bars that I really crave, like Frys Orange Cream - usually the plain, rather than the milk stuff.

Good source for English stuff is www.treatsfromhome.com.au

bridie Mar 7th 2007 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4490126)
I personally think it's a lot nicer here.

Me too, I love Dove (galaxy) :thumbup:

nightnurse2 Mar 7th 2007 2:51 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4491349)

Same here!
Keep buying the big bars when they are on offer in IGA, trouble is, I could and do eat the full bar in a day:frown:

bridie Mar 7th 2007 2:53 am

Originally Posted by nightnurse2 (Post 4491412)
Same here!
Keep buying the big bars when they are on offer in IGA, trouble is, I could and do eat the full bar in a day:frown:

LOL!

Yes, we buy them when they're on special, delic! :thumbup:

canaveral Mar 7th 2007 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret (Post 4490976)

Where is this Sugar Fix I'm missing Walker's Crisps so much - my parents brought loads over with them on their visit, but even though we rationed ourselves, they've all gone and I'm sad (yes, probably in both senses of the word, I know), but crave any flavours.:D

I live in Sydney. Sorry the shop is called Sugar Fix. There is one at Warringah mall, the city, in fact mostly where there are shopping centres.
At the British lolly shop which is at Darling Harbour they sell them too

Ransi Mar 7th 2007 3:00 am

Me too,especially the caramel one...mmmm

Wendy Mar 7th 2007 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4491207)
I generally prefer the chocolate here too, just a few English bars that I really crave, like Frys Orange Cream - usually the plain, rather than the milk stuff.

I like the fry's mint cream, mmmmm

Does that shop there take internet orders :D

Centurion Mar 7th 2007 5:03 am

Originally Posted by canaveral (Post 4490214)
Hi I love chocolate. I go hunting for English chocolate because although I like Oz choc I think English is abit nicer.
You can buy Nestle choc, most of the Areo bars are made in the uk. Lindt choc is lovely here too. Galaxy is called Dove here and is really nice.
You can get all Mars like Mars bar, Malteasers and twix but I think the choc tastes darker. Malteasers taste very different.
You can get most Cadbury's bars here with a few extra like cherry ripe and lots of Fredo frogs with different fillings. Adults and kids alike love them!
Also chocolate is more expensive here. You can't buy multi packs, only funsize and one bar is about $1.60 with a 2oog bar being about $4
OH and Roses chocs are nasty here, full of creams.

Another choc is Darrell Lea but I think only the licorice tastes nice from there.

You should see all the Easter eggs here. I have to walk past them in the supermarket with my eyes closed. I have never seen so much choice and the little bunnies call out to me. " Put me in the basket, You no you want to" so tempting!

One last thing, well you did ask! There is another shop called the British Lolly shop and they sell lots of UK sweets and chocs.

Happy munching, Feeling homesick now thinking of Malteasers and crisps, oh well, I think I heard a bunny call from the fridge. Yum!

My god. Thats what you call being passionate about something you love :rofl:

bridie Mar 7th 2007 5:51 am

Someone I sat next to at Little Britain Monday night was v excited as they had Marmite crisps!! :lol:

Pollyana Mar 7th 2007 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4491671)
I like the fry's mint cream, mmmmm

Does that shop there take internet orders :D

Yep, the mint one is yummy too.
They do internet orders, and if they are out of stock or whatever usualyl ring you to ask about alternatives. I've ordered from them about a dozen times, latest one was this week when they emailed back almost at once to say they're holding the order for a week till they get new stocks of some stuff. :) Quick too - normally about 4 days from ordering, to delivery in Brisbane.

Very good - I'd certainly recommmend them :)

Pollyana Mar 7th 2007 7:49 am

Originally Posted by canaveral (Post 4490214)

It does taste darker, more like English plain stuff, which is probably why I like it. Check the back of the bars in supermarkets, you occasionally hit English stuff - Pick and Pay in Brisbane often has Terrys choc oranges - the UK ones - and the Aeros, as you say, are English chocolate.

thomas and sarahjayne Mar 7th 2007 8:10 am

hubby is a new age willy wonka, loves choc and can sniff it oot a mile away. He does not like choc here he says it does not even compare simply not the same and as for myself i like dove and cherryripe.

sj

wafc Mar 7th 2007 8:59 am

Yep Dove is the way to go!! Galaxy was my fave in the UK and luckily Dove is the only one over here that seems to taste the same! :D

OzzieNurse Mar 7th 2007 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4491207)

Oh does anyone else remember the frys bar that had lime, strawberry, lemon etc in each section??? I loved it!!! I SO WANT SOME NOW! Ahem I'm ok honest....:)

carmil Mar 7th 2007 9:29 am

I just LOVE this forum......... a whole thread dedicated to CHOCOLATE!!!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

A mars a day helps you work, rest and play

Milkyway, the treat you can eat between meals

A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat

Yorkie, it's not for girls

Only the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate

The milkybars are on me

Any more...... anyone?????? :lol: And own up, how many of you are sitting singing the theme tunes ????? :rofl:

bezzanbob Mar 7th 2007 9:50 am

Potentially ompletetly irrelevant - but did you know that Oz chocolate Is the only type of choc. able to be used by a laser cutting/engaving machine as used in school DT departments!!!:D :D

British choc. has a much lower melting point.

Why then do Tim Tams melt on contact with the hand!:confused:

Bezza

Womat Mar 7th 2007 10:07 am

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 4492489)
Why then do Tim Tams melt on contact with the hand!:confused:

Bezza

Maybe to help in the aid of performing the Tim Tam Slam ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam_Slam

Pollyana Mar 7th 2007 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Rachie241 (Post 4492326)
Oh does anyone else remember the frys bar that had lime, strawberry, lemon etc in each section??? I loved it!!! I SO WANT SOME NOW! Ahem I'm ok honest....:)

OMG that was just lush, I adored it! Similar one in Aus called Snack, made by Cadburys, squares of chocolate in the same bar, but with differing centres - strawberry, pineapple etc. :)

Demented Ferret Mar 7th 2007 10:28 am

Originally Posted by canaveral (Post 4491447)
I live in Sydney. Sorry the shop is called Sugar Fix. There is one at Warringah mall, the city, in fact mostly where there are shopping centres.
At the British lolly shop which is at Darling Harbour they sell them too

Oh nooooo!!!:(

monkeypeaches Mar 7th 2007 12:52 pm

I'm not an enormous fan of Australian chocolate but have been known to scoff the odd Freddo now and again whilst there!

I always lose a few pounds purely because my chocolate intake is diminished :D

I have given up chocolate for Lent and am surprised how much I'm not missing it Good practice for Oz then...

Pollyana Mar 7th 2007 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret (Post 4492617)
Oh nooooo!!!:(

Try the one I mentioned earlier. Also theres one in Brisbane CBD, in the Myers Centre Food Court - next to Michel's Patisserie, and a new place in the passageway leading to Central Station - just past the food area,going towards the station.

Scubaemma Mar 7th 2007 2:45 pm

I don't like Oz Cadbury's chocolate as much as I like the UK Cadbury's stuff, but maybe when I live there I'll get used to it more. But when we were there for 6 months before (and obviously I had to do some research on a few bars) I found the choc didn't taste as full, or something. Liked the Dove stuff though.

We visited the Cadbury's factory in Tassie while we were over there and I asked the lady why it tasted different to back in Blighty and she said it was exactly the same receipe but it just tasted a bit different because the grass (and cattle feed) in Oz is a bit different which makes their milk taste a bit different, which concentrated into chocolate makes that taste a bit different......! Now maybe she was pulling my leg?! And I never noticed the milk tasting any different.....

My OH loves Cherrie Ripes. He's an Aussie so misses them while we're living in England (although splashes out at the Aussie shop in Covent Garden sometimes). But I think they're gross :)

louise Mar 7th 2007 3:50 pm

ooooooooh Cherry Ripes are definitely my favourite.

I ate lots and lots when I was back in oz in 2005, remembered them from when I was younger.

I then brought bags and bags of them back with me.

Miss them now, however hopefully won't be too long before I can gorge on them once again :D

Louise :)

tony61 Mar 7th 2007 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by louise (Post 4493809)
ooooooooh Cherry Ripes are definitely my favourite.

I ate lots and lots when I was back in oz in 2005, remembered them from when I was younger.

I then brought bags and bags of them back with me.

Miss them now, however hopefully won't be too long before I can gorge on them once again :D

Louise :)

can you still get Top Deck over there?

louise Mar 7th 2007 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by tony61 (Post 4494296)

Sorry Tony not sure, never been a fan of white chocolate at all:frown:

Louise:)

canaveral Mar 7th 2007 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by tony61 (Post 4494296)

Is top deck cadburys dark on bottom, followed by milk then white. If so yes you can.
All this about chocolate is making me hungry. Guess what I am eating and its only 8.30 am.
Coles have 200g Nestle bars on offer at the moment. $2 a bar. I had a Rolo bar last night it was so delicious, eating mint Areo now.

Pollyana Mar 7th 2007 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 4493559)
I don't like Oz Cadbury's chocolate as much as I like the UK Cadbury's stuff, but maybe when I live there I'll get used to it more. But when we were there for 6 months before (and obviously I had to do some research on a few bars) I found the choc didn't taste as full, or something. Liked the Dove stuff though.

We visited the Cadbury's factory in Tassie while we were over there and I asked the lady why it tasted different to back in Blighty and she said it was exactly the same receipe but it just tasted a bit different because the grass (and cattle feed) in Oz is a bit different which makes their milk taste a bit different, which concentrated into chocolate makes that taste a bit different......! Now maybe she was pulling my leg?! And I never noticed the milk tasting any different.....

My OH loves Cherrie Ripes. He's an Aussie so misses them while we're living in England (although splashes out at the Aussie shop in Covent Garden sometimes). But I think they're gross :)

I used to have a British boyfriend that did some work at Cadburys in Hobart, its quite true that Tassie choc is slightly different - I think its nicer than mainland Aus! - and yes it is down to the grass affecting the tasta of the milk, plus the water they use is totally pure, on top of the amount of cocoa being different from the UK, to make the melting point different. You leave a UK bar and an Aussie bar out of the fridge and the UK one goes limp first!

Scubaemma Mar 8th 2007 10:26 am

"UK one goes limp first"

Ah, that's why we've got Aussie OH's! :D

Pollyana Mar 8th 2007 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 4497054)
"UK one goes limp first"

Ah, that's why we've got Aussie OH's! :D

Exactly :D