Chips

Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:27 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Default Chips

Was down at friends in Somerset over the Easter Break and they introduced me to a lovely fish and chip thing that they have down there, its sounds disgusting but it was FANTASTIC, it was: Chips, Grated Cheese and Fried Onions on top!!!! Its guaranteed to ensure weight gain immediately but it was lovely, anybody got anything else food wise they are going to miss?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

The best fish n chips Ive ever had was at Balmoral Beach in Sydney......
Id probably miss a good n cheap Indian Takeway on a fri night...Can you get Haagen Daaz in Aus?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:38 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Mmm I think so, but would be hard pushed to find a saveloy though from a Aus chippie I would imagine, must admit I hardly ever eat Fish and Chips but sometimes nothing else will do.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:39 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Lol thought you were on about the tv series for a minute
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:43 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont miss much foodwise, I've been pleasantly surprised by ausie cadburys and smiths crisps!
One thing I do miss is vinegar on chip shop chips though
Old Apr 21st 2004, 11:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Rosie n family
I'd probably miss a good n cheap Indian Takeway on a fri night...Can you get Haagen Daaz in Aus?
Not sure how many there are but :

Haagen Daaz has opened a lounge bar meets ice-cream parlour at Darling Harbour.
There’s everything ~ mood lighting, cool music, a stylish interior with comfy sofas plus 20 gourmet ice-cream flavours. 'Mmmmmagine having to choose between strawberry cheesecake, tiramisu and macadamia nut brittle ~ and that’s just for starters!

Haagen Daaz Shop,
295 Promenade Level
Darling Harbour.
Open Sunday to Wednesday 10 am till midnight, Thursday to Saturday 10 am till 1 am.

Old Apr 21st 2004, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Yep have to agree about the fish & chips at Balmoral - we had prawn cutlets, baby octopus, squid rings, fish - with sweet chilli dip etc. It was amazing - it was everyone for themselves though - there were 10 of us & the kids used their elbows with great effect to make sure they got tp the prawn cutlets first.

YUMMY - making me feel hungry now.

pockygoes
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:43 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

You found a good chippy in Oz.

That must have taken some time.

I was most disappointed with the Aussie's efferts:
No battered fish (always crumbed)
No mushy peas

Walked into my first asked for fish, chips and mushy peas they just looked at me like a 3 headed alien.

Guess its all good for the waist line if I dont frequent the chippy so often.

TT

Originally posted by Rosie n family
Id probably miss a good n cheap Indian Takeway on a fri night...Can you get Haagen Daaz in Aus?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TrickyTree

No mushy peas

Walked into my first asked for fish, chips and mushy peas they just looked at me like a 3 headed alien.

TT
Why is it that some people who are emigrating are always so hung up about having exactly the same thing as they get *back home*? The seafood here is absolutely fabulous & probably some of the best in the world & you're complaining cos it it wasnt surrounded by heavy fatty batter & didnt have mushy peas with it? There are probably very very few places in the world where you would get mushy peas with fish & chips .

Michaela, almost every fish & chip shop & takeaway I have been into has vinegar! You only have to ask for it!!

And if a "saveloy" is a type of sausage, then yes, you will get them here as well .
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:14 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hung up on mushy peas because i like them with my chips.

All I was offered as an alternative was tartare sauce.

TT

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Why is it that some people who are emigrating are always so hung up about having exactly the same thing as they get *back home*? The seafood here is absolutely fabulous & probably some of the best in the world & you're complaining cos it it wasnt surrounded by heavy fatty batter & didnt have mushy peas with it? There are probably very very few places in the world where you would get mushy peas with fish & chips .

Michaela, almost every fish & chip shop & takeaway I have been into has vinegar! You only have to ask for it!!

And if a "saveloy" is a type of sausage, then yes, you will get them here as well .
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:21 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

See, I miss more aussie food stuffs when I'm here in the UK than I do pommie stuff when I'm in Oz.

I miss sushi in Sydney with a passion. YOu can't get proper sushi in Cambridge

I miss lollies - esp warheads, ripe raspberries, and, most of all killer pythons

Mr B misses Burger Rings and Twisties. And proper burgers with pineapple and beetroot in them.

Got to agree on the seafood thing too, especially after a particularly divine meal in Byron...mmmmm....
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TrickyTree

No mushy peas

TT
They opened a couple of Harry Ramsden's in Melbourne (can't speak for other cities) - battered fish, mushy peas, buttered bread, pots of tea etc and they absolutely BOMBED and have since closed. As another ad says 'why have satin when you can have silk'. Incidentally, the best fish and chip shop in Melbourne according to a survey I read not so long ago is in Federation Square. Rex Hunt's D'lish Fish at Beacon Cove and Top of the Bay in Williamstown I can highly recommend - they were also in the top 10. How one could prefer cod in batter, haddock in batter etc when you can get grilled baramundi or King George Whiting etc is beyond me but each to their own.

OzTennis
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:36 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Chips

Originally posted by leanda
Was down at friends in Somerset over the Easter Break and they introduced me to a lovely fish and chip thing that they have down there, its sounds disgusting but it was FANTASTIC, it was: Chips, Grated Cheese and Fried Onions on top!!!! Its guaranteed to ensure weight gain immediately but it was lovely, anybody got anything else food wise they are going to miss?

Hi Leanda,

You've never been to Scotland, then?

I remember my Nan serving that when I was a kid. Sometimes I make it as well.

Best by far, though, Is the cheese and jam sandwich. Strawberry jam and slices of cheese.

Your mouth will love you forever!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:38 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
How one could prefer cod in batter, haddock in batter etc when you can get grilled baramundi or King George Whiting etc is beyond me but each to their own.

OzTennis
My thoughts exactly! Why spoil a perfectly nice bit of fish with icky greasy batter?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:39 pm
She's a bird, you know

Default Re: Chips

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Hi Leanda,

You've never been to Scotland, then?

I remember my Nan serving that when I was a kid. Sometimes I make it as well.

Best by far, though, Is the cheese and jam sandwich. Strawberry jam and slices of cheese.

Your mouth will love you forever!
My dad likes to put marmalade on cheddar on a digestive biscuit, which is sort of the same thing. Don't get it myself. Same with stilton on mince pies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.