China Airways

Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

gary2rep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default China Airways

Going to Melbourne next month, flying from Heathrow to Beijing, one night stopover in Beijing, then Beijing to Melbourne. Anyone flew with China Airways and would you use them again.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Gazza
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: China Airways

Originally posted by gary2rep
Going to Melbourne next month, flying from Heathrow to Beijing, one night stopover in Beijing, then Beijing to Melbourne. Anyone flew with China Airways and would you use them again.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Gazza
Do you mean China Airlines? They do actually have one of the worst safety records of all airlines. (Air travel is the safest way to travel but some airlines are safer than others, I guess). Their record has improved in the last couple of years tho.

Good luck
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: :scared:
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Do you mean China Airlines? They do actually have one of the worst safety records of all airlines. (Air travel is the safest way to travel but some airlines are safer than others, I guess). Their record has improved in the last couple of years tho.

Good luck
China airlines are based in China so if you are going to Bejing then HP is right.
Air China is based in Taiwan and are a separate concern.
Also have something of a history. My son has flown with both and they are OK.

Don't concern yourself too much with Safety.
Singapore airlines (who seem to be everyone's favourite) had a plane (747) crash not that long ago with massive loss of life.
Shit happens.

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Default air china

Originally posted by Pollyana
:scared: :scared:
Just been informed that it is air china that we're flying with and not china airways (apparently 2 different airlines????) Thanks for the reply anyway.
Gazza
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: air china

Just been informed that it is air china that we're flying with and not china airways (apparently 2 different airlines????) Thanks for the reply anyway.
Gazza
Gazza
See above.

G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Grayling
Gazza
See above.

G
Thanks G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Grayling
China airlines are based in China so if you are going to Bejing then HP is right.
Air China is based in Taiwan and are a separate concern.
Also have something of a history. My son has flown with both and they are OK.

Don't concern yourself too much with Safety.
Singapore airlines (who seem to be everyone's favourite) had a plane (747) crash not that long ago with massive loss of life.
Shit happens.

Best wishes

G
Was it this crash?

http://www.getforme.com/tragedy_sq006.htm
Old Jun 15th 2004, 6:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

If you are happy driving a car or having an operation you should be happy flying with anyone!

Having said that, there are airlines from some parts of the world I would be happier avoiding if there was a choice....
Old Jun 19th 2004, 9:41 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG!:scared:

I work in longhaul travel.

Enough said!

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Seriously though, you are 26 times more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport.

Godspeed!!!
Old Jun 19th 2004, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Gazza
Hi Gazza,

Just so you're not confused by the airline you're flying -

Air China is based in mainland China - if you're going via Beijing you're definitely on Air China.

China Airlines is based in Taiwan - they don't have any flights to mainland China yet.

The infamous airline with very bad safety record in the 80's and 90's was China Airlines. Many of the pilots were once military pilots - but that's not too different from other commercial airlines. (Military pilots are very often retrained to fly commercial.) I used to travel a lot between Asia and North Ameria for school or work, and never travelled on China Airlines even when it offered the cheapest tickets. The reputation back then was really that bad - no exaggeration!

However the airline has made some major improvements in recent years - better aircraft maintenance, increasing safety standards, hiring better pilots and starting pilot training programs in Australia, etc. I will be less reluctant to fly with them now than I was 5 years ago.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jun 20th 2004, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Hi Gazza,

Just so you're not confused by the airline you're flying -

Air China is based in mainland China - if you're going via Beijing you're definitely on Air China.

China Airlines is based in Taiwan - they don't have any flights to mainland China yet.

The infamous airline with very bad safety record in the 80's and 90's was China Airlines. Many of the pilots were once military pilots - but that's not too different from other commercial airlines. (Military pilots are very often retrained to fly commercial.) I used to travel a lot between Asia and North Ameria for school or work, and never travelled on China Airlines even when it offered the cheapest tickets. The reputation back then was really that bad - no exaggeration!

However the airline has made some major improvements in recent years - better aircraft maintenance, increasing safety standards, hiring better pilots and starting pilot training programs in Australia, etc. I will be less reluctant to fly with them now than I was 5 years ago.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Thanks Mrs JTL for the info, everything booked anyway, so fingers crossed. What part of N.Ireland are you from?, I was born in Lurgan Hospital and still go and see family there.
Gazza
Old Jun 20th 2004, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mrs JTL for the info, everything booked anyway, so fingers crossed. What part of N.Ireland are you from?, I was born in Lurgan Hospital and still go and see family there.
Gazza
No problem. The international flights on Air China are not bad - the only trouble is understanding the flight attendents' accent.

What part of N. Ireland I'm from?! Hmmm.... Hong Kong! Husband JTL is from "sunny" Bangor!

I love it here in Bangor near the beach, especially in the summer. Today is another fabulous day - we're having barbeque again, like most weekends in the past 2 months. Still can't understand why we are moving away?! Hubby says it's because we've already sold the house to his parents...

There's no going back now...

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 20th 2004 at 12:20 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by JackTheLad
No problem. The international flights on Air China are not bad - the only trouble is understanding the flight attendents' accent.

What part of N. Ireland I'm from?! Hmmm.... Hong Kong! Husband JTL is from "sunny" Bangor!

I love it here in Bangor near the beach, especially in the summer. Today is another fabulous day - we're having barbeque again, living most weekends in the past 2 months. Still can't understand why we are moving away?! Hubby says it's because we've already sold the house to his parents...

There's no going back now...

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Where abouts in Oz are you headed?, hopefully we'll be in Melbourne by Christmas (fingers crossed).
Enjoy the BBQ and the good weather in Bangor.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where abouts in Oz are you headed?, hopefully we'll be in Melbourne by Christmas (fingers crossed).
Enjoy the BBQ and the good weather in Bangor.
We're going to Brisbane in August. Don't know which area we'll settle in or where we'll be working yet - still doing research on the web.

The BBQ's going well - JTL's working on it - ribs, sausages, drumsticks, corn, mushrooms, and of course some local new potatos... Better go help before the meat's burnt.

All the best,
Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.