Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childrens Savings Accounts long term?

Childrens Savings Accounts long term?

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future
Default Childrens Savings Accounts long term?

Hi

My kids are preschool age and I'd ideally like to open an account for them each so that when they become adults, they've got some money for house deposit or education, that sort of thing.

I've had a look on google and there seems to be a few good instant access accounts with decent interest rates but was wondering if anyone has opened long term accounts/bonds for their kids?

I think there is one called Australian Scholarship which is a long term thing, think there are tax benefits of using education based savings account but believe there are big penalties if money is not used for education.

Just wondering if anyone has opened long term/childrens savings account and can suggest a good provider?

Many thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childrens Savings Accounts long term?

Dunno, just opened a Dragon Direct savings account for both my grandkids and put money in them each fortnight and they get around 4.85% at the moment. There are probably other options but that one was easy as pie for me and they are accessed through my internet banking facility.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:07 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

We opened accounts for our two children one was 13 and other was 8, we had a few thousand in them but the ATO piss~'# me off when the BOQ had told them about the saving as it was added to my end of year tax return and we had to pay up money because of the intrest earned on them. By law the banks must tell the ATO of childrens accounts so be carefull
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:12 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kronk
Hi

My kids are preschool age and I'd ideally like to open an account for them each so that when they become adults, they've got some money for house deposit or education, that sort of thing.

I've had a look on google and there seems to be a few good instant access accounts with decent interest rates but was wondering if anyone has opened long term accounts/bonds for their kids?

I think there is one called Australian Scholarship which is a long term thing, think there are tax benefits of using education based savings account but believe there are big penalties if money is not used for education.

Just wondering if anyone has opened long term/childrens savings account and can suggest a good provider?

Many thanks
For now, we are using this for both of our kids (5.75% interest)
http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking...-account/11766
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

we had a few thousand in them but the ATO piss~'# me off when the BOQ had told them about the saving as it was added to my end of year tax return

Never miss a trick do they!
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=1&H1

Fair bit of interest before they are charged though.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
we had a few thousand in them but the ATO piss~'# me off when the BOQ had told them about the saving as it was added to my end of year tax return

Never miss a trick do they!
Do you have to pay interest on kids account? Must have missed mine, as kids have one each and never paid any tax
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Do you have to pay interest on kids account? Must have missed mine, as kids have one each and never paid any tax
The ATO can find out any interest on any account. They have full access to bank info.

If they dont find it one year they find it eventually and just backdate the tax bill with interest on interest

No escaping them, the banks and ATO also share with centerlink.

IMO they also share with immigration/passports, Ive had letters from them about me being overseas

My Kids have had tax file nos since they were 7/9 as the bank was withholding tax from them.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Only if they earn over $450 pa interest does someone pay tax. As long as their interest sits under about $3500 pa then they wont pay any but they will get some taken out as payg but can fill in a tax return to reclaim it - see the link above
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Only if they earn over $450 pa interest does someone pay tax. As long as their interest sits under about $3500 pa then they wont pay any but they will get some taken out as payg but can fill in a tax return to reclaim it - see the link above

I think the childrens piggy bank was further raided this year.

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story...childrens-tax/
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I think the childrens piggy bank was further raided this year.

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story...childrens-tax/
Bloody Hell this government are such mean barstewards. Not only that, they have messed up the child payments from family trusts as well. We used to pay my sons school fees from it to get a tax deduction. Bugger they must be desperate.

Last edited by NedKelly; Jul 3rd 2011 at 11:08 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Bloody Hell this government are such mean barstewards. Not only that, they have messed up the child payments from family trusts as well. We used to pay my sons school fees from it to get a tax deduction. Bugger they must be desperate.

Also, if you have kids and made deductible super contributions ( self employed mostly ) it used to reduce your taxable income for centerlink purpose eg family tax benefit etc.

Now for all things centerlink and even child support payments they assess your income before the super contribution - big difference.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:20 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

With the new changes, the IOOF Wealthbuilder product looks like a good alternative if your kids bank account has more than a few grand kicking about in it......

http://advisermag.ioof.com.au/june2011/tech_QandA
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to depend on whether the money will be controlled by the children when they're older or spent by the adults (even if spent on the children)...if the former then goes on child's tax, if latter interest added to parents income.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=3&H3

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 3rd 2011 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My kids both inherited $20k this year and at the moment it is sat doing buggar all because I can't seem to find out what to do with it. My eldest has a TFN but my 9 year old doesn't. Sorry to hop on the OP but would love to know how best to invest it, safely!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.