Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Children's Nursery Info in Melbourne??

Children's Nursery Info in Melbourne??

Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

DivingMissDaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Children's Nursery Info in Melbourne??

Hi everyone!!

Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and have to say it will be a lifeline through this whole process. We just signed the migration agents forms last Friday to start this roller coaster of emotions!!

We are planning/thinking of moving to Melbourne. OH has sister and her family in Sydney and his parents are in the process of getting their Visas (1 year in).

Anyway, we are thinking of Melbourne as I'm not great with too much heat and we think the price of living will be slightly cheaper and it's not too far from Sydney so we can visit them.

We have never been to Oz, but have fallen in love with the TV shows (wanted down under, no going back, etc) and also how OH sister and family are getting on. We are going to get Visas (hopefully) then to a validation trip to a few places to finalise where we will go.

Sorry - just realised this is a long post to a quick question!

Getting to the point - our girls are 1 and 3, so if we move in about 18 months we will need nursery places for them. Is there a website you can use that can tell you prices, places, waiting lists, etc?? Also what are they like?

We are hoping OH will pick up a good enough job that I might not have to work (you can dream) or work part time. But I cant find any info by google to get prices, etc. Also what age to the kids start primary over there?

Thanks guys and looking forward to the endless support I'm sure you will all give.

Audrey
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future
Default Re: Children's Nursery Info in Melbourne??

Not sure whether you mean 'Kinder' - playschool/nursery in England, or an actual daycare nursery, so I'll tell you both - as I know it !!!

Kinder - 3 sessions a week for 4 year olds. Two 3 1/2 sessions, one 3 hour session, cost is $150 per term. 3 year old kinder - ons session per week,not sure on the cost though !

Our son also attends an 'ABC Centre' (they are everywhere) and the cost is $55 per day - whether he is there for an hour or 12 hours. (that's the price as he attends 2 days per week, for 1 day a week it's $60, think it goes down slightly the more days attended) Speaking to others, this seems to be the going rate around here. That price includes all snacks & meals (& so it should lol !)

Not sure whether you'd be entitled to claim Child Care Benefit, (dependant on earnings) we only get a few dollars a week off, but hey, every little helps I suppose ! They both had a place available for him straight away, & I was really impressed how they dealt with him & helped settle him in. (both the daycare & kinder)

Our son is 5 in October, & starts prep at the end of next January. (as opposed to this September in England - damn !!!)

www.childcare.com.au (abc centre info)

Hope this helps a little, I'm sure others will have info also. Whereabouts in Melbourne are you planning on ?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children's Nursery Info in Melbourne??

Apart from ABC centres most childcare is managed by the local council.
I live in Hobson's Bay (west Melbourne) and they provided a list of 8 local childcare places within my locality.

Cost is around the 50-60 bucks per day and you pay this for the no of days you want regardless of whether you use the days (ie when you are on holiday you still pay)

There are waiting lists but they seem to move quickly and are more in demand for the under 2 year olds.