Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childrens medicals

Childrens medicals

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childrens medicals

We were wondering as to why children under the age of 18. that aren't on our application, are required to have a medical? can anyone shed light on this. our circumstances are that we have a son 17 who lives away from home (at his dads, his choice) who doesn't want to emigrate at this time and may not want to in the future.
good luck to all that are trying.
Regards Chris and Andrea.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:33 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hereditary condition maybe?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:37 pm
MSB
Forum Regular

MSB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Childrens medicals

I believe it is because they have the option to emigrate and join you up until they are 18 on your visa app. Once they are 18 they have to apply for their own visa! So DIMIA request any potential migrant (on your app) to have a medical even if at this stage they may not want to actually go and possibly may never want to.
Mart

Originally posted by Handyandy180
We were wondering as to why children under the age of 18. that aren't on our application, are required to have a medical? can anyone shed light on this. our circumstances are that we have a son 17 who lives away from home (at his dads, his choice) who doesn't want to emigrate at this time and may not want to in the future.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

badger63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Handyandy180
All children from either partner under the age of 18 are classed as dependant and as such require medicals

I have gone through this with ex partner, I think its just in case anything if anything happens to your ex the kids can come and live in oz with their mother or father.

Or another reason is so they can see if anything did happen to the ex the kids would not be a drain on the health service.
Anyway I managed to get the children’s medicals done with no problems.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:41 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by MSB
I believe it is because they have the option to emigrate and join you up until they are 18 on your visa app. Once they are 18 they have to apply for their own visa! So DIMIA request any potential migrant (on your app) to have a medical even if at this stage they may not want to actually go and possibly may never want to.
Mart

thats the reason why
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for that. Damn more money to find LOL ah well it will be worth it. Thanks for your swift replies.
Good luck to all that are trying.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 6:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That is correct. However, if the child not resident with the applicants turns 18 during processing of the application, then it would no longer be considered dependent in most cases and would not have to do medicals (or police checks).

Dependency is assessed as at date of decision, not application.

Even if this does not happen, there is a possibility that medicals for non-migrating children can be waived if DIMIA can be persuaded it would be 'unreasonable' for the children to do them. This usually covers situations where there is neither contact nor access. Professional advice is important in these cases.

Jeremy

Originally posted by badger63
All children from either partner under the age of 18 are classed as dependant and as such require medicals

I have gone through this with ex partner, I think its just in case anything if anything happens to your ex the kids can come and live in oz with their mother or father.

Or another reason is so they can see if anything did happen to the ex the kids would not be a drain on the health service.
Anyway I managed to get the children’s medicals done with no problems.