Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

childrens dental care

childrens dental care

Old Sep 24th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all
Default childrens dental care

Do you have to pay for your childs dental care?
Old Sep 24th 2005, 8:58 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Default Re: childrens dental care

Originally Posted by clanwylie
Yep but you can claim a percentage back via medicare
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you pay for childrens dental care, medicare does NOT cover dentists bills. You also pay for prescriptions again medicare does NOT cover that either.

Dental care in australia is staggeringly expensive however some states qld wa and vic anyway have basic filling and extraction service at some state primary schools, eg in qld its a caravan that comes round once a year.

You also pay for your kids to see a doctor unless you can find one who bulk bills, if not say you pay $50 you take the bill to medicare and they give you $28. Medicare only pay a portion of things eg a specialitst might charge $300 but you get back $68.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:12 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=jad n rich]Yes you pay for childrens dental care, medicare does NOT cover dentists bills. You also pay for prescriptions again medicare does NOT cover that either.

Oh shit...it does NOT cover dentists?????

There is a thread on this somewhere that says its covered....Mmmmm darn!!
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Welshie]
Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes you pay for childrens dental care, medicare does NOT cover dentists bills. You also pay for prescriptions again medicare does NOT cover that either.

Oh shit...it does NOT cover dentists?????

There is a thread on this somewhere that says its covered....Mmmmm darn!!
Yes I know I saw that thats why I answered, unfortunately medicare does not cover dentists not even for kids.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:37 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

So dont let your kids eat to much sugar products etc.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
So dont let your kids eat to much sugar products etc.
Good point and check out if the water where your moving to has flouride in it, ours doesnt and its not uncommon to see kids at the dental van needing 6/8/13 :scared: fillings.

I dont even want to begin a flouride debate, its a personal choice and if you want it you can buy drops from your dentist.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:52 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=jad n rich]

Dental care in australia is staggeringly expensive however some states qld wa and vic anyway have basic filling and extraction service at some state primary schools, eg in qld its a caravan that comes round once a year.

QUOTE]

I know that the cost of a child to have braces can be horrific, I think taking out insurance would be the best hing.

My daughter use to visit the school caravan..dentist!!! He looked at her teeth for the first time and said..'Oh yes, she'll need a brace in a few years time' MMmm $ signs.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

There is a school dental service.

They treat kids of school age for $20 regardless of the work. You do have to show your Medicare card! This in our suburb is carried out at a proper dentist surgery. All my kids have used this service with complete success. My youngest had a tooth rebuilt due to smashing it in a playground and the eldest had a paste put over her back teeth to protect them.

I understand that you do have to pay for braces as these are classed as cosmetic

Does anybody know where I can purchase fluoride for our water tank??
Old Sep 25th 2005, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

It must depend on which state you live in. Here in WA we have a Dentist at the school she is brill, did my kids fillings, they did not even feel the needle, and she fixed my sons tooth which he had chipped. all within the first few months we where here, FREE.
My kids love going to the dentist now, and theyhated it in the UK . Denise