Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Children's behaviour

Children's behaviour

Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Children's behaviour

yep agree with ole paddyo....

Originally Posted by paddyo
Culture, culture, culture too I would say. Some cultures treat children and, more importantly, behave around children, differently to others. Some cultures its definately "Do what I say not what I do" and often use violence (in their minds its discipline) to control their childrens behaviour. Some cultures prefer to lead and speak by example and as such expect their children to follow their example.

Australia is a melting pot of different cultures and some are brash, some are reserved, some are confrontational, some are defensive. Its difficult to sometimes comprehend one which goes against your own philosophy but its that very divergence which can teach tolerance I think.

Children are what they see in my book, so I try and moderate my sons access to certain TV, access to 'adult' language and try (sometimes fail if I am honest) to create a good example of correct public behaviour for him. Bottom line is that he is an extremely polite young boy, bloody inquisitive mind you!!!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
IMHO kids here are well behaved and better mannered ... but then I suppose I go on my kids friends .. and kids I meet in my line of work... They dont appear to lack confidence ... but in a nice way...

Our experience is that kids are more child like, less knowing, than their uk counterparts... their demands are simpler... I have NOT ONCE been asked for anything designer or branded ... becasue their friends have blah blah blah.. maybe that's just my kids, or the kids they hang out with...

The thing that really strikes me is how an open space, a ball and a cardboard box so easily and quickly turns into a cricket match for anyone who wants to join in... there's none of this... its mine you can't... the more the merrier... same with aussie rules...

How many premiership players in the uk take their kids to their local park to have a kickaround with them and encourage any kids hanging about to join in???? I've had that happen with my kids and major local AFL players on more than one occassion... there's a wonderful sharing here...

As for seats on trains... There are signs up on perth transport TELLING kids to give up their seats to those who need them... but I've NEVER seen a child/teen having to be asked... they are aware and they just do it... like we used to when we were kids

I love it
That's how it is in my world as well. Although it was fairly similar in my world in the UK but the girls friends weren't so pleasantly confident in conversations with adults as they are here.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:30 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
yep agree with ole paddyo....
ole?? OLE??? You young un's today!! Bah humbug!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
I have found there's the same amount of swearing etc. but the difference is, if they see my little one, they apologise. Also arsing around, if they encroach on what you're doing they apologise. I would cringe walking past big groups of yoovs in the UK waiting for the barrage of insults that would come forth. Here nothing happens. They congregate and cause a nuisance but amongst themselves more it seems.

Best example of coming face to face with a pack of teenagers in Australia - group of lads - 15-18, hoodies, smoking walking past the playpark. Loud conversation. Thought Uh oh here we go. When I actually listened, one of them was telling the others how shocked he was at the swearing and rudeness he'd had off a mate's little 7 year old brother the day before!!! My flabber was ghast and I actually felt bad for thinking they were up to no good.........
The guy that got bashed by a group of 15/16 yr olds on the train last week in Melbourne might have a different opinion.

And all he did was tell them not to smoke on the train...

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Sep 6th 2010 at 4:38 am.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddyo
ole?? OLE??? You young un's today!! Bah humbug!
\\

Ummm I m prolly older than you but I like to be delusional...
Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leftfield
?? I am currently on crutches due to a broken ankle so I can't drive and have got the train about 10 times in the last month.
I have had to stand everytime, only one person has offered me a seat. There has generally been a mix of children and adults in the priority seating and when you look at them they just look away... Must be a different Perth?
Yep. I see a similar train ride to yours. When I was on crutches for my broken foot loads of times I had to either stand or ask to have a seat. More than once I've had to ask people to get up so my very pregant workmate doesn't have to stand. She's too polite to ask, but I'm a bit of a loudmouth so don't give a rats.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yep. I see a similar train ride to yours. When I was on crutches for my broken foot loads of times I had to either stand or ask to have a seat. More than once I've had to ask people to get up so my very pregant workmate doesn't have to stand. She's too polite to ask, but I'm a bit of a loudmouth so don't give a rats.
wonder where you're catching your train from.... perhaps this is a north south divide thing

Only time I'v e seen a "problem" is when a group of young people wearing the uniform of one of the better schools in Perth got on the train.. sat on the priority seats, threw chips around, swore a lot very loudly... my work colleague phoned the school and the response she got was that the school was not responsible for the behaviour of children once they were out of school.... nice!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

As a future secondary school teacher currently studying at UQ from what I've seen so far in the Queen's Land there are very well behaved and far more developed young people down here in terms of confidence and manners.

Totally unlike the ever increasing bad eggs that make up the semi human troglodites representing the youth in the UK! (I know they are not all bad!!!)

How ever there are some bad ones down here as I've seen my self. But I think the schooling system is perhaps better here as it develops the childs self worth and confience FIRST and then concentrates in later years at school on the academic strengths.

As has been mentioned the culture down here palys an important part that of fair play and so forth. May be it is the ANZAC tradition that plays a role here because there is such huge respect for the elderly veterans and the old in general and you do see alot of school kids proudly wearing their uniforms on ANZAC day, thats where perhaps some of the kids have lost their way in the UK....
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

wonder where you're catching your train from.... perhaps this is a north south divide thing

Only time I'v e seen a "problem" is when a group of young people wearing the uniform of one of the better schools in Perth got on the train.. sat on the priority seats, threw chips around, swore a lot very loudly... my work colleague phoned the school and the response she got was that the school was not responsible for the behaviour of children once they were out of school.... nice!
Could be a n/s divide thing. I get on in Perth and go all the way to Clarkson so get to see a variety of train riders during my travels.

The kid in the uniform makes me chuckle at myself and again being a loudmouth. On the CAT bus one morning a bunch of boys wearing uniforms from a very expensive private school sitting in the priority seats while we middle aged women stood. A pregnant woman who was also pushing a pram got on and none of the boys bothered to get up so I asked them oh so politely if they didn't teach manners at their posh school and to get up so the lady could sit. I did phone the school and made it known how the boys behaved and the woman who answered thanked me for calling.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I get on the train at shockingham and ride as far as perf....

what makes me laugh is the men who refer to you as "Miss" ... you just KNOW they've spent time in corrective services.... but they're pretty polite nonetheless....
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I get on the train at shockingham and ride as far as perf....

what makes me laugh is the men who refer to you as "Miss" ... you just KNOW they've spent time in corrective services.... but they're pretty polite nonetheless....
Better than being called 'Dear'. You'd have to be regularly on the Immi Forum to know that one
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
As a future secondary school teacher currently studying at UQ from what I've seen so far in the Queen's Land there are very well behaved and far more developed young people down here in terms of confidence and manners.

Totally unlike the ever increasing bad eggs that make up the semi human troglodites representing the youth in the UK! (I know they are not all bad!!!)

How ever there are some bad ones down here as I've seen my self. But I think the schooling system is perhaps better here as it develops the childs self worth and confience FIRST and then concentrates in later years at school on the academic strengths.

As has been mentioned the culture down here palys an important part that of fair play and so forth. May be it is the ANZAC tradition that plays a role here because there is such huge respect for the elderly veterans and the old in general and you do see alot of school kids proudly wearing their uniforms on ANZAC day, thats where perhaps some of the kids have lost their way in the UK....
Year 9 Student Pulls Gun On Teacher:

http://www.news.com.au/national/teac...-1225880638148

Loads of stories of violent students in Australia with a complete disrespect for authority.

A good friends' parents were both secondary school teachers. His father, a maths & physics teacher and also the year 12 co-ordinator at a school in melbourne had to resign due to a nervous breakdown caused because the kids had no repsect for authority and were violent towards the teachers in class.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Could be a n/s divide thing. I get on in Perth and go all the way to Clarkson so get to see a variety of train riders during my travels.

The kid in the uniform makes me chuckle at myself and again being a loudmouth. On the CAT bus one morning a bunch of boys wearing uniforms from a very expensive private school sitting in the priority seats while we middle aged women stood. A pregnant woman who was also pushing a pram got on and none of the boys bothered to get up so I asked them oh so politely if they didn't teach manners at their posh school and to get up so the lady could sit. I did phone the school and made it known how the boys behaved and the woman who answered thanked me for calling.
It's equal opportunities nowadays. Many women would view standing and offering a seat for a woman as sexist. So much for female liberation!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Year 9 Student Pulls Gun On Teacher:

http://www.news.com.au/national/teac...-1225880638148

Loads of stories of violent students in Australia with a complete disrespect for authority.

A good friends' parents were both secondary school teachers. His father, a maths & physics teacher and also the year 12 co-ordinator at a school in melbourne had to resign due to a nervous breakdown caused because the kids had no repsect for authority and were violent towards the teachers in class.
No one is saying it doesn't happen. It's all a personal perception of life around us. Shit happens, some of us are lucky enough not to see it as much as others.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:13 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
It's equal opportunities nowadays. Many women would view standing and offering a seat for a woman as sexist. So much for female liberation!
I don't care if it's women or men standing. The point is that on the Perth area transit system there are signs everywhere that students riding on the 50 cent fare are expected to stand for adults. Especially pregnant women and the elderly (not that I'm either you understand)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.