Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Children booster seats

Children booster seats

Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Children booster seats

We were planning on taking our kids booster seats with us when we move. We've just read that the laws on how children are restrained in cars in WA is changing from the 1st October & all child restraints have to comply with Australian and New Zealand Standard (AS/NZS) 1754:1991 or any subsequent version of that Standard. Obviously our kids seats are on BS standards but the kids are over the age of 4 (or will be when we go) & as they are booster seats rely on the cars seat belts. I can see on everything I read that basically whilst children are under 4 & in seats with inbuilt restraints they have to apply to the AS/NS standards but am I correct in thinking that the car seat belts would need this standard & not the booster seat itself?

I may try emailing them to find out but if anyone can shed any light on this for me I'd be grateful. I purposely bought booster seats that would last until the kids are 12 only for Oz to change the laws just as we arrive.

Alison x
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of
Default Re: Children booster seats

We live in Victoria and here the road guidelines are set out by Vicroads so I presume other states must have a similar association. The guidelines set out rules for different ages, heights and weights. Unfortunately, British child and booster seats are not legal even if you use an aussie harness or restraint. Hope you find the info you need. Good luck with the move.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by al150n
We were planning on taking our kids booster seats with us when we move. We've just read that the laws on how children are restrained in cars in WA is changing from the 1st October & all child restraints have to comply with Australian and New Zealand Standard (AS/NZS) 1754:1991 or any subsequent version of that Standard. Obviously our kids seats are on BS standards but the kids are over the age of 4 (or will be when we go) & as they are booster seats rely on the cars seat belts. I can see on everything I read that basically whilst children are under 4 & in seats with inbuilt restraints they have to apply to the AS/NS standards but am I correct in thinking that the car seat belts would need this standard & not the booster seat itself?

I may try emailing them to find out but if anyone can shed any light on this for me I'd be grateful. I purposely bought booster seats that would last until the kids are 12 only for Oz to change the laws just as we arrive.

Alison x
http://www.kidsafewa.com.au/childcarrestraints.html

I have used these people for the fitting of many of my car seats and for bubba number 3 hired through them.

I was very much in the gang of don't bring seats etc but number 3 used a uk seat on the aeroplane when we travelled Perth - UK - Perth recently and I've still not changed it. It actually works really well with 2 maxi riders on the outside and bubba in his uk seat in the middle. Unfortunately it invalidates insurance so I'll need to go and buy a booster for 6 year old so I can fit bubba into the maxi rider. That or buy a mini bus! Certainly if you buy seats here do make sure you get them in the sale if you can.

Poppet

Last edited by PoppetUK; Jul 11th 2010 at 2:33 am.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road

Yr booster seats won't be recognised over in WA as they have to be of australian standard. We took ours over for my 4 yr old and when i got stopped by the police as a routine check they checked the seats and asked where we came from and we said 'uk' and he asked if the booster seat was 'uk' and if it was we had to change it to an ozzy one.
oh well we changed it.....................
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

brissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, As far as i know the aus standards are differant to the standards used in the uk, so no uk, ones cant be used here, and any child up to the age of 7 now requires a booster seat ( any used with a adult seat belt ) this is in QLD, hope this helps
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissyb
Hi, As far as i know the aus standards are differant to the standards used in the uk, so no uk, ones cant be used here, and any child up to the age of 7 now requires a booster seat ( any used with a adult seat belt ) this is in QLD, hope this helps
You're right. Numerous threads on here about it, and the bottom line is that UK seats aren't legal in Australia. If you choose to use them then you risk invalidating any car insurance if you are involved in an accident.
I'm not making any comment on whether Aussie or UK seats are considered to be better/safer/stronger etc, Im just pointing out the legal position.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your replies but BIG POO!!!!

I only bought my sons seat about 6 months ago (same as his sisters seat but not pink) & specifically went for one that would last.

Am I correct in reading that in WA up until the 1st October over the age of 12 months children don't actually have to be seated in a car/booster seat? We obviously now won't be bringing their booster seats with us but that means we won't have any to use when we first arrive plus it's something we hadn't budgeted for.

Alison x
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:26 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Children booster seats

Guys, we used the UK child seats we brought with us for 3 years until the kids grew out of them. I knew about the legality thing and chose to take the risk (with the insurance, not my kids lives). Our car was involved in a near write-off situation (photo below!) although while it was parked but the insurers never batted an eyelid about the car seats.

When the kids had grown out of them I took them to the dump to throw away as they were apparently not legal, though there was nothing wrong with them. The dump man asked why I was throwing them and I explained they were not legal in Oz....when I returned to the dump with a second load, the dump man was putting them in the boot of his car....

BB
Attached Thumbnails Children booster seats-car-wreck-1.jpg   Children booster seats-car-wreck-2.jpg