childminding

Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:43 am
Just Joined

suec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default childminding

Anybody know anything about the childcare system in Oz. I would like to continue childminding (looking after other peoples rugrats in my own home) and just wondered -
Is there a demand?
What is the registration process like?
Are there any specific qualifications needed?

Any advice or info greatfully recieved!

Sue.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes this topic interests me too, only I'm looking to childmind in NZ When I lived in UK I was a registered childminder. would be grateful for any info.

Thanks
Dee
Old Sep 12th 2003, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think childminders and nannies are very much in demand. Through an agency, we were quoted about AUD20 per hour. Not sure what rate the childminder would get from that, but most of the privately advertising childminders and nannies are charging about the same. We were told they were qualified, but I have no idea what the qualifications are or whether UK qualifications would be accepted … I doubt it though. You would have to redo your qualifications here or be assessed by a recognised Oz body.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 9:24 am
Reticent Member

she'llberight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: childminding

Originally posted by suec
Anybody know anything about the childcare system in Oz. I would like to continue childminding (looking after other peoples rugrats in my own home) and just wondered -
Is there a demand?
What is the registration process like?
Are there any specific qualifications needed?

Any advice or info greatfully recieved!

Sue.
Hi there Sue,

I am also a childminder (8 years now!) and would like to continue that when we (hopefully) get to Oz, we're looking to move to Perth. From info gained so far, childcare seems more geared to the nursery-type organisations. Will continue to find out more. Will pass on any info I find. How long have you been childminding and what do you think about OFSTED?
Old Sep 12th 2003, 11:21 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Dee_e56
Yes this topic interests me too, only I'm looking to childmind in NZ When I lived in UK I was a registered childminder. would be grateful for any info.

Thanks
Dee

Hi

I was a registered childminder in the Uk but decided not to continue here. What i can tell you though is that childminding registration here in NZ is run through the Banardos (spelling?) organisation. When people say they 'do' Banardos, they mean they childmind. If you put that in a search engine you should come up with something.

Paula
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by she'llberight
Hi there Sue,

I am also a childminder (8 years now!) and would like to continue that when we (hopefully) get to Oz, we're looking to move to Perth. From info gained so far, childcare seems more geared to the nursery-type organisations. Will continue to find out more. Will pass on any info I find. How long have you been childminding and what do you think about OFSTED?
Hi there, she'llberight.....

Been childminding 6 years and a foster carer for 2. Love it!! It's great being around for my own children. Ofsted C**p. What do they know! All this pressure to do this course and that course, get that qualifiaction but for me childminding is about providing a home from home for the children with lots of fun not replicating a playgroup or nursery:lecture: If the parents want that type of environment then don't choose a childminder. I love being spontaneous without the pressure of saying at the end of the day little Fred acheived this today!

I'll get off my soapbox now - what do you think?

Hoping to get to Brisbane, not by the end of 2004 as planned though!

Last edited by suec; Sep 12th 2003 at 12:08 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 6:13 pm
Reticent Member

she'llberight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by suec
Hi there, she'llberight.....

Been childminding 6 years and a foster carer for 2. Love it!! It's great being around for my own children. Ofsted C**p. What do they know! All this pressure to do this course and that course, get that qualifiaction but for me childminding is about providing a home from home for the children with lots of fun not replicating a playgroup or nursery:lecture: If the parents want that type of environment then don't choose a childminder. I love being spontaneous without the pressure of saying at the end of the day little Fred acheived this today!

I'll get off my soapbox now - what do you think?

Hoping to get to Brisbane, not by the end of 2004 as planned though!

Hi Sue

Feel exactly the same as you. As childminders we are here to provide a 'caring, family environment' for children, not educators as OFSTED would like us to be. Had my inspection last month and was an absolute farce. Because all my childminded children are over 8 (at the moment) they don't fall into OFSTED's age range for registration therefore technically I don't need to be registered but I have to go through all the hoops to maintain registration. Also, the inspector had to log down that no childminded children were present at the inspection although 3 childminded children over 8 were there at the time!!! AND she could only enter me as 'satisfactory' and not 'good' because of this. Oh and another thing.... inspector asked what activities I provided. I mentioned that we sometimes go swimming and she asked if I had 'written' permission from the parents as swimming can be deemed a dangerous sport!

'eck, I could keep going on this one....

I know of 3 childminders in my area that have given up since OFSTED took over from Social Services. Mainly because of all the forms we have to have and diaries they want us to keep. Bureaucracy gone mad....

On a lighter note, my husband has an uncle in Perth so I'll email him to see if he can find out any more info although Paula seems to have come up with a good thread to follow.

:lecture:
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

The scheme in OZ is called family day care and will be run by your local Council. Registration, health safety police checks are routine. House and premises must meet regs, fencing etc. Training and liability issues are also being introduced.

Great demand for all childcare here, especially those who will provide overnight and weekend care.

Rates are around $3.50 to $4.00 per child, but of course you may have 4 kids there. (How does this compare with the UK rates). Some mums have up to 6 kids for the after school period.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by dotty
The scheme in OZ is called family day care and will be run by your local Council. Registration, health safety police checks are routine. House and premises must meet regs, fencing etc. Training and liability issues are also being introduced.

Great demand for all childcare here, especially those who will provide overnight and weekend care.

Rates are around $3.50 to $4.00 per child, but of course you may have 4 kids there. (How does this compare with the UK rates). Some mums have up to 6 kids for the after school period.

Hope this helps.
Hi dotty,

Thanks for that info. Registration much the same in the Uk. On my registration I can care for 3 children aged under 5 (not more than 1 under 1 yr old), 2 children between 5 and 8 yrs and over 8's don't count! At the moment I only have school age children as we also foster pre school children and this limits my under 5's numbers and with lots of appointments etc it wouldn't fair on any childminded children. I still only charge £2.00 per child per hour which I believe is well below the avaerage rate.

she'llberight,

What a farce - swimming permission - most parents I know would be greatful I am doing something with them! I too am only 'satisfactory' as will be 99% of all other childminders, which does not show how much care we give to the children we look after. To the average parent looking for childcare 'satisfactory' on a childminders report will not make them look again!!!!
Anyway I'll still do it because I really enjoy it.
Suec