Reload this Page >

Childcare in Oz?

Childcare in Oz?

Old Sep 12th 2002, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childcare in Oz?

Dear All

Does anyone know if there is any government assistance for women returning to work/ cost of nursery care (full time)/ grants? I work full time now and i am charged £520 per month (4 days a week) to put my son into a nursery. I get no assistance from the government.
I would like to work in Oz (at some stage) and wonder if it might be more viable to do so.

Thanks

Nicky
Old Sep 12th 2002, 3:26 pm
Hills

Default Re: Childcare in Oz?

NickyTurner wrote:

> Dear All
    > Does anyone know if there is any government assistance for women returning to work/
    > cost of nursery care (full time)/ grants? I work full time now and i am charged
    > £520 per month (4 days a week) to put my son into a nursery. I get no assistance
    > from the government. I would like to work in Oz (at some stage) and wonder if it
    > might be more viable to do so.

Probably not!

Child Care Benefit (CCB) comes in two flavours - basic and additional.

Basic is available to anyone, and is piddling. (eg. 1 child in care, 2 days per week,
and I claimed an annual lump sum - got less than $500)

Additional CCB is means tested, (on total family income, not personal), therefore,
if there are two adults working in even basic full-time jobs, you'll probably exceed
the upper limit for it. (70-80K?). If you only work part-time, you might get a
little bit back.

Our local centre charges $37 per day. (7am - 6pm or part thereof). It also offers
half- day and three-quarter day rates.

Note, if you *don't* work, you can access childcare 2 days per week, and because the
family income is much lower, you'll get reduced rates for it!!!

In my opinion, the best lurk is got by single mothers studying. Because they are on a
pension, they get free university (re-training for the workforce), and, because they
are low-income, they get full-time child care at around $5 per day (because they are
in full-time study).

Now, if only I could get rid of the hubby, I could quit my job and go back to Uni,
and probably be better off financially

LJ

Old Sep 12th 2002, 8:09 pm
Robert Edwards

There certainly is Federal Government assistance for mums who return to or who are in
the workforce and that comes in the form of childcare assistance, the childcare
Facility must be a Nationally Accredited Facility but to be sure Nicky have a look at
this site: Family And Community Services
http://www.facs.gov.au Regards

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com.au

"NickyTurner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dear All
    > Does anyone know if there is any government assistance for women returning to work/
    > cost of nursery care (full time)/ grants? I work full time now and i am charged
    > £520 per month (4 days a week) to put my son into a nursery. I get no assistance
    > from the government. I would like to work in Oz (at some stage) and wonder if it
    > Thanks
    > Nicky
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 13th 2002, 6:48 am
Klaus

They got childcare here, but you pay too. The amount depends on your status as none
PR/Australian you pay 100% of the fee. As PR/Australian it depends then on your
annual income how much % rebate they give you.

My one attend KidCare and I found the fee for after SChool care very reasonable even
I pay 100% of it.

Klaus

"Robert Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > There certainly is Federal Government assistance for mums who return to or who are
    > in the workforce and that comes in the form of childcare
assistance,
    > the childcare Facility must be a Nationally Accredited Facility but to be sure
    > Nicky have a look at this site: Family And Community Services
    > http://www.facs.gov.au Regards
    > Rob Edwards
    > www.australianaustralia.com.au
    > "NickyTurner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Dear All
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if there is any government assistance for women returning to
    > > work/ cost of nursery care (full time)/ grants? I work full time now and i am
    > > charged £520 per month (4 days a week) to put my son into a nursery. I get no
    > > assistance from the government. I would like to work in Oz (at some stage) and
    > > wonder if it might be more viable to do so.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Nicky
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

Old Sep 16th 2002, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Childcare in Oz?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
There certainly is Federal Government assistance for mums who return to or who are in
the workforce and that comes in the form of childcare assistance, the childcare
Facility must be a Nationally Accredited Facility but to be sure Nicky have a look at
this site: Family And Community Services
http://www.facs.gov.au Regards

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com.au

"NickyTurner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dear All
    > Thanks
    > Nicky
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com