Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childcare/Nursery/preschool question

Childcare/Nursery/preschool question

Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:43 pm

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Childcare/Nursery/preschool question

Hi and thanks for your help.
Will google Kindergartens, I take it that is the same as Kindy?? or not lol.
Its so difficult isnt it I guess its really a case of seeing what is available when we get there. I just like to be organised as much as I can and what to try and get son into a routine as soon as we can.
Thankyou
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nat12
Hi and thanks for your help.
Will google Kindergartens, I take it that is the same as Kindy?? or not lol.
Its so difficult isnt it I guess its really a case of seeing what is available when we get there. I just like to be organised as much as I can and what to try and get son into a routine as soon as we can.
Thankyou
Hiya, just also wanted to point out that your son will also need to get possibly 2 injections before being up to date for the Australian imunisations. HepB and Chicken pox.

I don't know if you can request them over there before you come over? I was at the doctors today, my daughter doesn't need the chicken pox injection as she has had chicken pox already but will need the Hep B. The hep b needs to be ordered in, which can only be done at request directly to the goverment once per month, and the 2 injections need to be given (I think) about 1 month apart. So if you cant get them done over there before you come over, then it could be a few months before he can start anyway.

The injections themselves are free, but you will be charged for the appointment, i'm guessing if you request the injection over there, you may have to pay?

Cheers
Mandy
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hiya, just also wanted to point out that your son will also need to get possibly 2 injections before being up to date for the Australian imunisations. HepB and Chicken pox.

I don't know if you can request them over there before you come over? I was at the doctors today, my daughter doesn't need the chicken pox injection as she has had chicken pox already but will need the Hep B. The hep b needs to be ordered in, which can only be done at request directly to the goverment once per month, and the 2 injections need to be given (I think) about 1 month apart. So if you cant get them done over there before you come over, then it could be a few months before he can start anyway.

The injections themselves are free, but you will be charged for the appointment, i'm guessing if you request the injection over there, you may have to pay?

Cheers
Mandy
Not all childcare centres request immunisation details. Of the centres i know off none of them have. Probally a good idea to get them done in UK if you can though.

Vaccinations do not have to be done at the GP, In QLD they have seperate childcare centres where there are free vaccination programs. You will not then have to pay for an appointment.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Not all childcare centres request immunisation details. Of the centres i know off none of them have. Probally a good idea to get them done in UK if you can though.

Vaccinations do not have to be done at the GP, In QLD they have seperate childcare centres where there are free vaccination programs. You will not then have to pay for an appointment.
Not sure if either myself or Nat12 would be able to use that service being on the student visa. . .

Yeah I know not all centers need these injections to have been carried out, a friends son is at a centre that was happy to take him without them. Good to be aware though and have a choice to look into it before coming over. I think better to get it done and be on the register as soon as possible to save any problems in the future for school and also centrelink when we're eventually able to access it!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Yep, agreed.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:07 am

I did think about immunisations as was comparing what they get etc in Oz and in the uk.
I think it would be do late to get the Hep B now but could possibly get the chickenpox one here.
I have found there is an ABC Childcare centre right on the doorstep of where we will be staying so have been trying to call them but as its a free number I cant seem to get through to anybody!
Only thing I am thinking is that even if you only go half days they generally charge you a whole day and I didnt really want to put him in all day.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nat12
I did think about immunisations as was comparing what they get etc in Oz and in the uk.
I think it would be do late to get the Hep B now but could possibly get the chickenpox one here.
I have found there is an ABC Childcare centre right on the doorstep of where we will be staying so have been trying to call them but as its a free number I cant seem to get through to anybody!
Only thing I am thinking is that even if you only go half days they generally charge you a whole day and I didnt really want to put him in all day.
Yeah, that's the problem I was having too. Think it's very rare to find a placement that does part time, most places only offer full days. . think it's just the way it is over here. As i said, i found one that will do a casual placement for $8 ph I can phone the day before to try to book her in for a few hours. No guarentees though that they will have a space. . .

The family day care may be the only option for flexibility. . though have never looked into it so they may also charge for the full day!!

Have they got an e-mail address? I tend to use that more than phoning and usually get quick responses, possibly a better option for yourself as your limited to times you can call unless you set an alarm for stupid o'clock!!

Good luck
Mandy
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:36 pm

Lol yes good point, have emailed an enquiry form to find out more, Thanks x
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:42 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
C&K is a preschool. http://www.candk.asn.au/

My daughter goes to one, they generally have big waiting lists so I'd get your name down at the local ones as soon as you can. It's only $10 to go on the waiting list. We got lucky last year. I only put my daughters name down around mid October and a spot opened up in mid January about a week or two before the first term started. So for $10 it's still worth it to put your name down now just in case.

Also.... students come and go and they've filled quite a few spots during the year. A student just left last week actually, so it never hurts to have your name down.

Anyway.... ours cost $20 a day and the hours are 8:30-2pm. It does vary centre to centre though. This is the one in Cleveland (Bayside, Brisbane, QLD).
C & K is NOT a preschool. C & K are a not for profit organisation that are basically an umbrella scheme that look after day care centres and family day carers. They have been operating in Brissie and the Sunshine Coast for over 100 years and more recently on the Gold Coast. Not sure about the rest of Oz as I am based in QLD. C & K have only been operating an umbrella on the Gold Coast since March of this year.

C & K are a firm believer of learning through play, extension of play to contribute to learning and letting the children lead the activities. Their curriculum is called Building Waterfalls (named by a child), google it and you'll get more info about it.

I work as a family day carer, self employed but under their umbrella and I cannot fault the service that parents or myself recieve.

C & K scheme day care centres are generally a fair bit cheaper that your large ABC type and also the privately owned ones, but the fee does change depending on the centre. C & K family day care rates per hour are anywhere from $6 - $8.

Family day carers do tend to set a minimum amount of hours per day because otherwise they could end up with families that only pay for an hour here and an hour there, and in the meantime could be turning away full tie children because someone has a part time contract. I charge a minimum of 6 hours and to be honest I haven't had any complaints. I think that seems about average. I do have a child in my care who only requires 4 hours so I earn an extra 2 hours pay but the parent is contracted to the 6 hours that I charge for so if the parent wants to get her hair done after work or just have a bit of time off then she can. You can contract to set hours or call a day or 2 before hand for casual care.