Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

childcare - gold coast.

childcare - gold coast.

Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

.Hannah.David.Charlie. will become famous soon enough
Question childcare - gold coast.

What kind of prices are we looking at at putting our 7 month old into a nursery/ with a childminder etc 5 days a week. he will be 11 months old by the time we move.
Thanks
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

tomcruise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: childcare - gold coast.

Approx $60 per day. If you have PR, centrelink (a Australian govt dept) will refund 50% of it every 3 months (regardless of family income). If your family income is lower than 150K (i think that is the thresh hold), you also get extra subsidy on top of this. You should be able to get this info on the centrelink website ( http://www.centrelink.gov.au/Interne...ents/index.htm )
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:55 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tomcruise
Approx $60 per day. If you have PR, centrelink (a Australian govt dept) will refund 50% of it every 3 months (regardless of family income). If your family income is lower than 150K (i think that is the thresh hold), you also get extra subsidy on top of this. You should be able to get this info on the centrelink website ( http://www.centrelink.gov.au/Interne...ents/index.htm )
Where are you getting the 50% from? If you're refering to the child tax rebate it depends if both parents are working or not. I assume they are but it's worth mentioning in case they're not as that's the only way you can get it.

To the OP..... If you have PR then you will likely get the Child Care Benefit(CCB). This rebate is strictly based on income. The more you make as a family the less you get. We are technically eligible but because of income we receive 0%. Whatever you get should automatically be taken off your bill, although with a home dare care I'm not sure if it would quite work like that.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...re_benefit.htm
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...enefit_iat.htm

The other thing you can do to reduce your costs is have both parents working. If one parent is working full time and the other parent works a minimum of 15 hours per week then you can qualify for the Child Care Tax Rebate. This rebate cuts your child care costs in half and it's paid quarterly or at the end of the year if you prefer. There is no income test for this benefit. You just need to have both parents working.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...are_taxreb.htm

Currently I'm not working so we don't get the child tax rebate. I will soon be putting my son into daycare for 2 days per week. The going rate is roughly $55-60 a day I believe. When I do start to work then I would be eligible for the 50% rebate. I called them up and found out that you could get the rebate if you worked less than 15 hours per week but that you could only use a day or two of care and get it (not all 5 days).

It should also be noted that there is only so much you can get back from the rebate.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...y_how_cctr.htm

Also worth registering your details with Centrelink as you may be eligible for Family Tax Benefit A or Benefit B. Benefit A is based on family income, and Benefit B is to help families with only one income (cut off if the primary earner makes over $150,000).

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ents/ftb_a.htm
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ents/ftb_b.htm
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

tomcruise is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks comet555. Yes , I meant the Child Care Tax Rebate. Yes, you are right about both parents having to work to get the 50% rebate (regardless of income). It was an assumption that I made that both parents were planning to work and hence the need to put the kid(s) in daycare. Yes, If either one of the parent is not working, then they wouldn't get this benefit but could get the other benefits you have mentioned. Cheers
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:15 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tomcruise
Thanks comet555. Yes , I meant the Child Care Tax Rebate. Yes, you are right about both parents having to work to get the 50% rebate (regardless of income). It was an assumption that I made that both parents were planning to work and hence the need to put the kid(s) in daycare. Yes, If either one of the parent is not working, then they wouldn't get this benefit but could get the other benefits you have mentioned. Cheers
I also assumed the poster was going to have two working parents.

The trouble becomes though that if someone else happens to be reading this thread and only has one parent working then they might assume that because they have PR then they get 50% off childcare, which is not the case.

You were correct in what you said so I wasn't trying to be a pain, but I hate to see people get the wrong idea about things.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:18 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP is planning on coming out for a student visa - does it make any difference?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:13 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by tking
I think the OP is planning on coming out for a student visa - does it make any difference?
Yes it definitely would. Those benefits are just for permanent residents, which is why we both mention "if you have PR". So, thanks for bringing it up, I wouldn't want them to get their hopes up too much.

So, I'm pretty sure that means the OP would have to pay full prices at $55-60 a day. Sucks, but that's the way it goes.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help. its around the same prices as we pay here anyway. Yeah we will both be working but yes i will also be studying. at least theres light at the end of tunnel when ive finished my course! Cant wait! thanks again.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Hi

when we come out both me and OH will be working (Hopefully)

we have a boy of 6 and he will need some before and after school care aswell as care in the school holidays.

we will both have good jobs but have an income less than £150,000 together.

would we still be able to get 50% off the before and after school fees, if it is this would be great. i thought we would earn way too much to get any help.

thanks

cheryl
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

do they have childminders out there? what are the rates for these?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:06 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
Hi

when we come out both me and OH will be working (Hopefully)

we have a boy of 6 and he will need some before and after school care aswell as care in the school holidays.

we will both have good jobs but have an income less than £150,000 together.

would we still be able to get 50% off the before and after school fees, if it is this would be great. i thought we would earn way too much to get any help.

thanks

cheryl
First, I'm assuming you mean $150,000 AU not $150,000 pounds. Either way, I don't think it would matter.

The 50% off is not income tested (it does not matter how much you make). You do need to have a permanent visa though.

The details are here:
http://www.facs.gov.au/Internet/FAO/...are_rebate.htm

The only glitch that I could forsee would be the "approved care". I've only really heard it applied to child care centres, but I can't see why before/after school care wouldn't come into that. When my daughter starts prep I'll try and ask if it would work like that at her school. But assuming Centrelink sees it as an approved care facility then yes the 50% would apply.

http://www.facs.gov.au/Internet/FAO/...tered_care.htm
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by comet555
First, I'm assuming you mean $150,000 AU not $150,000 pounds. Either way, I don't think it would matter.

The 50% off is not income tested (it does not matter how much you make). You do need to have a permanent visa though.

The details are here:
http://www.facs.gov.au/Internet/FAO/...are_rebate.htm

The only glitch that I could forsee would be the "approved care". I've only really heard it applied to child care centres, but I can't see why before/after school care wouldn't come into that. When my daughter starts prep I'll try and ask if it would work like that at her school. But assuming Centrelink sees it as an approved care facility then yes the 50% would apply.

http://www.facs.gov.au/Internet/FAO/...tered_care.htm
hi

sorry yes should have said $. just so easy to put the £ sign, will have to get out of that.

we will have PR and would love it if i could get a child care reg. nursery or something like that to pick him up. this is what we do in the UK.

thanks for the info.

cheryl