Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childcare dodgy practice

Childcare dodgy practice

Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:23 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Childcare dodgy practice

Anyone had the following experience: what a rip off.

We recently put our 2 year old daughter into Childcare, for half a day every Monday morning. Then last week we were told that we owed for last Monday's public holiday (Labour Day) when the childcare place wasn't open ! Since when do you pay for a service you haven't used ? We had it explained it was in the contract and that they still wanted to get paid and have a salary in effect for public holidays, like the majority of workers, still doesn't make it right !! We now send her to the childcare centre on a casual basis on the Monday, means we don't have to pay on public holidays , but we could lose our place if someone signs up a contract for the Monday. Is this an Aussie thing or does this dodgy prctice go on in the UK ?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare dodgy practice

Originally Posted by BAY

We recently put our 2 year old daughter into Childcare, for half a day every Monday morning. Then last week we were told that we owed for last Monday's public holiday (Labour Day) when the childcare place wasn't open ! Since when do you pay for a service you haven't used ? We had it explained it was in the contract and that they still wanted to get paid and have a salary in effect for public holidays, like the majority of workers, still doesn't make it right !! We now send her to the childcare centre on a casual basis on the Monday, means we don't have to pay on public holidays , but we could lose our place if someone signs up a contract for the Monday. Is this an Aussie thing or does this dodgy prctice go on in the UK ?
Be warned - not all public holidays in Aus are on Mondays. Not unknown to have them mid-week.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

It's standard practice around where we live. Nothing dodgy about it IMHO. Childcare workers are among the lowest paid professionals already. I don't see why they shouldn't be paid for public holidays like the rest of the population.

Did you know you could use your child's annual leave entitlement on public holidays, i.e., paying half-fee instead of full? Assuming, of course, you do actually use up all your child's entitlement.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:11 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here in regional WA you always pay when it's a public holiday and the place is closed. It was no different in the UK either when our kids attended there. The staff still need to be paid, wait until xmas day falls on a friday - you have to pay for the Friday and the Monday and it will be shut. Standard practice I would think.

Last edited by Howard Jenings; Mar 10th 2010 at 1:16 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Same here in regional WA you always pay when it's a public holiday and the place is closed. It was no different in the UK either when our kids attended there. The staff still need to be paid, wait until xmas day falls on a friday - you have to pay for the Friday and the Monday and it will be shut. Standard practice I would think.
Agree with that, had to pay year round in the UK.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:49 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

The problem I have is

a) when I worked on contract through a job agency I filled in my time sheet and only got paid for the hours I worked.

b) why should only those who send their children in on the Monday pay for the public holidays on Monday, surely it should be spread evenly across all the parents who send their children Monday to Friday.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I don't pay here in the UK for bank holidays or the week they are shut over Christmas.

Wholly agree with the OP. The amount you pay for the balance of the year should be set at a price that compensates for not being paid for bank holidays specifically.... if that makes sense....
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Dills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant future

I am a children's centre manager in the U.K and we would never charge for public holidays. Parents have contracts, they do have to pay if they dont attend for what ever reason, due to their child being counted in the adult:child ratio. I do think its unfair practice to charge for childcare provision when the place is shut.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Have always paid for public holidays in the UK, not sure about here but suspect it will be the same. It's always in the contract.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I always paid for public holidays in the UK. Staff are paid for public holidays (as you would expect) and I'm guessing if you or your OH work you expect to be paid on public holidays so I think calling it "dodgy practice" is a bit off.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

I have worked in child care centres in the UK and Australia, they have all charged for public holidays.

minibelle
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:47 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
I don't pay here in the UK for bank holidays or the week they are shut over Christmas.

Wholly agree with the OP. The amount you pay for the balance of the year should be set at a price that compensates for not being paid for bank holidays specifically.... if that makes sense....
This is my point ... the amount they charge and earn throughout the year should compensate for not being paid for bank holidays.

For example: How many ladies who have their hair done every week on a Monday would agree to pay that cost for when the salon is shut on a public holiday ? None I would expect.

The same goes for blokes playing footy on a Monday evening at a sports centre . How many would agree to pay when the sports centre is closed on a public holiday. Again , none expect.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
This is my point ... the amount they charge and earn throughout the year should compensate for not being paid for bank holidays.

For example: How many ladies who have their hair done every week on a Monday would agree to pay that cost for when the salon is shut on a public holiday ? None I would expect.

The same goes for blokes playing footy on a Monday evening at a sports centre . How many would agree to pay when the sports centre is closed on a public holiday. Again , none expect.
Yes but they are leisure activities, not a professional service I guess?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:42 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itigo
Yes but they are leisure activities, not a professional service I guess?
But they are still services that the consumer pays for ... or shouldn't pay for on a public holiday when the service is not avaliable.